Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

best time for children ?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by determined little korean girl, Apr 16, 2002.

1. determined little korean girl

7+ Year Member

I'm guessing having a child during medical school would be incredibly difficult . I'm studying to become a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon , and by my calculations I'm going to be in school for about 15 more years . By then, I'll be 35 . I read the post "Babies in med school" and someone said that it would be better to have a child after your 1st year of residency . What do you think ? When do you believe is the best time for children ? During Med School ? After 1st year of residency ? During Surgery fellowship ? After all my schooling is over ? Never ?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kazu

Kazu Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There's a really interesting article in the latest issue of TIME magazine about balancing a career with having/raising children. I forget the exact name of the article but it's the cover feature.

The article discussed some of the misconceptions people have about fertility, especially in the later years of life, and the current dilemma people (especially women) are facing in terms of managing family life with work outside the home. It's definitely worth checking out.

5. determined little korean girl

7+ Year Member

Kazu and paisley I thank you for your posts . Paisley: a lot of people have been talking about that article you mentioned . I've talked to a handful of other SDNers and a few have told me that they are thinking about having their kids during their 4th year . Of course, these are the women who are currently involved in relationships, who are planning to get married to their partners .

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MY comments are based on observation only, not personal experience.

Should you choose to have a child during medical school, the first two years are the best - your hours will be better and if need be, it is easier to take a year off between those years or before 3rd year rather than the latter.

A surgical residency is tough - even today with the influx of women, you will still be viewed as not carrying your weight should you decide to get pregnant during residency. Therefore, I DO NOT recommend having a child during clinical years. Undoubtedly you will be spending 1 or more years in the lab during residency (usually after your 2nd year); this is when most residents I've seen have children.

If you are only 35 when you finish residency and fellowship training you are still young enough to have a child and enjoy it. My choice would be during residency lab years.

On that note, I'll move this to The Lounge...