Best time to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a little confused about when I should start collecting my transcripts, AMCAS forms, etc. When is the EARLIEST time I can apply? Right now, I'm a sophomore in my second semester...so I'll technically be a junior this summer. I haven't taken the MCAT. I'm thinking about taking it NEXT april (a year from now). Is it ok to request MCAT application materials NOW and get cracking on them? When can I request an application from the AMCAS? When is the best time to submit my application to them (what day of this/next year)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about registration info for the MCAT, but it's certainly worthwhile to start studying this summer so that it makes minimal impact on your school work next semester. The April MCAT is very good timing, although the August MCAT (this year) will give you more time to gauge your competetiveness as far as numbers are concerned. And you won't have to worry about it come next semester.

As for AMCAS, the applications are made available April 1 and start accepting them on June 1. I advise turning it in ASAP (i.e. June 1).

Check http://www.aamc.org for dates regarding MCAT registration and medical school application. According to AAMC, for the 2002 entering class the new on-line web application will be evailable beginning April 16 and the certification and submission to AAMC will be available beginning June 18, 2001. Registration for the April 2002 MCAT will probably begin sometime in January 2002 and the deadline will be sometime in March. Check the website for details. As they used to say in Chicago, apply early and apply often. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you for replying! I appeciate your input. I'm very eager to start the whole process and want to jump at the earliest time. I'm gonna have to wait until the April MCAT at the earliest because I have yet to take Physics I and II and they don't start until the fall at my school. Probably the biggest thing I'm getting from both of your posts is that I don't have to apply just yet. I won't be applying for the 2002 entering class because I won't graduate until 2003. Does that mean I have another year before I apply? OR, should I apply soon with the intention of enrolling in 2003? I'm kinda confused about when the best time for me to apply is. I want to ensure that I apply early for the 2003 class, but I don't want to wait and miss the prime time to apply.

Thanks again

Atlas

Hey!! I'm in your same position. I'm currently a Sophomore in College. I am in my last organic class right now and will take Physics I and Physics II next year. I will plan on taking the MCAT in April of 2002, then start applying for medschools after that. I will be graduating in 2003 also! Thats the year I'll enter Med School! If you want to email me anytime to chat thats cool... [email protected]
Goodluck, Kurt

Kurt,

It's good to hear of someone who is in a similar situation. I see that you're from NC. What schools are on your list so far?

Okay, to clear this up for both of you, don't worry about applying yet! You have a whole year yet. You can't begin filling out your AMCAS application until April of 2002. The AMCAS application can be turned in starting in June, this year its June 18. However, you can't put in an application for the entering class of 2003 until next year, so you have plenty of time. The thing you need to concentrate on now is getting good grades and doing well in Physics and Organic ect. Start studying for the MCAT sometime around January. I hope things go well for both of you, if you have any more questions please post them here and I'll respond.

Mossjoh

Mossjoh,

That was a great reply! Thank you. That cleared up alot of questions and eliminated my worries. I'm trying really hard to keep my grades up. Right now I'm pullin a B+ in Organic, so I think I'm ok there. I wish I had my A, but I made some real boneheaded mistakes on my last test! I sure hope things go well. I don't want to do anything else in life, but be a doctor! I hope things go well for you too. I just need to nail the MCAT and finish strong in Physics. What types of extra-curriculars do y'all have? Just curious. I just want to see how I stack up so far! Tell me what you think.

1.) Involved with medicine since age 9 (now 20). Mother struck ill with renal failure. Went and still go with her to nearly every doctor visit, etc. This is a short, condensed, inspirational reason for my interest in medicine. I have a much more thorough essay about this, but thought I should fill you in about it.
2.)County Medical Scholar - won a scholarship from my county's medical society.
3.)Phi Theta/Beta Kappa Honor Society
4.)Employment - Hospital Nutrition Care Asst. Part time (20 hrs/wk)...make ends meet financially
5.)Dick Bond Award winner (school award) - based on leadership. No financial reward. Just props!
6.)Amateur Ballroom dancer. Way for me to meet ladies!
wink.gif
lol
7.)Joining: Sigma Zeta- Biology national honor society (school)
8.)Joining: Students Against Social Injustice (school)
9.)To do list: Summer research at local medical school
10.) Big Bros/Big Sisters

Am I forgetting anything? I just want to see what y'all think. I want to make sure that I'm good in the extra-curricular stuff, so I can focus on more school-related things. I'm not trying to boast about anything on my resume because I don't see what I'm doing as special. In fact, I want to do other, greater things. Please let me know what you think OR what you're doing so far with your extra-curriculars. You never know..we may bounce good ideas off one another and not even know it!

Thanks again!

Atlas

Hey Atlas,
I'm impressed with your extracirricular activities. We are in the same boat pretty much. So I'm from NC and I'm currently going to NC State University. Where do you go/Where are you from?? Well as far as schools go here is a rough list: Johns Hopkins, UNC-CH, Emory, UVA, East Carolina, Georgetown, Univ. of Maryland-Baltimore, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Boston, New York Univ., Mt Sinai, and more i'm sure...but I'm still a sophomore so I'll look more into that later!! So what schools are you interested in?? Well talk to you soon...I have an organic test tomorrow..so I've got to do well!! The average in our class on the last test was a 58 and I got a 61..ha so I need to get back to studying! I got a B+ last semester in Organic I!
Thanks, Kurt

Kurt,

It's wierd how we are very similar applicants. It appears that you have quite a list of schools there. You have your hands full getting into those top schools, but you can do it! My list is more centrally located. I have on my list: SIU (top choice), UIC, Loyola-Stritch, Pritzker, Northwestern, Rush, Finch, SLU, NYMC, Temple, Tufts, Tulane, Albany Med plus CCOM, UHS-KC, Kirksville, PCOM, LECOM and DMU. My list will more than likely narrow as I'm bombarded with those secondaries and the fees that go along with them! I'd like to stay in the midwest and practice in the St. Louis area someday. I'm from the St. Louis area (Illinois side) originally and go to a small liberal arts college in Southern Illinois. Nothing flashy, but effective. It's a good school with a good track record of success. I'm a S. Illinois resident, born and raised, so that'll help when it comes time to apply to SIU! Good luck on your test tomorrow. I took my last test two days ago and scored a miserable 95/150!
frown.gif
That hurt my overall grade badly!!! I had a sloid A now I'm at a B+, with only a few weeks left! Ouch! Oh well...time to move on with those darn mechanisms! lol. Talk to you soon.