Best time to buy review books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldtimer

Not a blind man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on when the best time to buy those review books (brs, high yield, etc)? I think I read somewhere on here to wait until class starts. I don't want to buy too early and be stuck with an old edition when the new edition comes out.

Members don't see this ad.

I would purchase the BRS physio during first year, and BRS path during second year for studying usage for your school exams. I'd reccomend purchasing First Aid in December for second year when the new edition comes out, and you can purchase the second edition of Step Up whenever you want to. Don't worry too much about new editions, with the exception of Step Up (whose first edition was riddled with mistakes), having earlier editions of books doesn't matter that much. The USMLE questions are based on a 2-3 yr lag with respect to new medical advances, and the fields of basic sciences usually don't change all that much year to year anyways.

I would also throw in buying Micro mad redicoulously simple (it's real easy to learn from this book) and the Micro Cards, so you can flash through them as you are going through class. But the above post is right on (assuming you have a traditional curriculum.