Best time to negotiate merit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wafflecone

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to SDN. I’m from a really small town in the midwest (and went to a small liberal arts college), so I don't have a lot of friends who have gone through the application process or an advisor I can ask. Luckily, I’ve found this community and I’m hoping that you all can give me some advice on negotiating merit :)

I'm super grateful to have received a substantial merit scholarship from a T20 school. But to complicate things, I've gotten into my dream school (School B) and they're known for giving generous merit scholarships. However, they won't be announcing those until mid/end of March. Cost is a major factor for me (but won’t qualify for financial aid), so I'm wondering if I should wait until School B makes their initial scholarship decisions or if I should reach out now reiterating my interest in the program and explaining my current situation? My concerns are that 1) School B is ranked higher (T10 program) and might see this difference in cost as "worth it" and 2) I'm still waiting on initial scholarship determinations from other T20 schools I've gotten into who offer up to full tuition and/or cost of attendance in merit so it might be better to wait and contact School B when the financial situation for each school is finalized.

Thank you in advance for any advice! I'd especially love to hear from adcoms and medical school students who have successfully negotiated merit scholarships.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally I found it appropriate to ask basic questions about the process for things like tuition and scholarships, it just needs to be framed right. We are in a recession and money matters so as long as you are respectful about it, I think it's okay to reach out and explain your concern about being able to afford the education.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hi! I'm new to SDN. I’m from a really small town in the midwest (and went to a small liberal arts college), so I don't have a lot of friends who have gone through the application process or an advisor I can ask. Luckily, I’ve found this community and I’m hoping that you all can give me some advice on negotiating merit :)

I'm super grateful to have received a substantial merit scholarship from a T20 school. But to complicate things, I've gotten into my dream school (School B) and they're known for giving generous merit scholarships. However, they won't be announcing those until mid/end of March. Cost is a major factor for me (but won’t qualify for financial aid), so I'm wondering if I should wait until School B makes their initial scholarship decisions or if I should reach out now reiterating my interest in the program and explaining my current situation? My concerns are that 1) School B is ranked higher (T10 program) and might see this difference in cost as "worth it" and 2) I'm still waiting on initial scholarship determinations from other T20 schools I've gotten into who offer up to full tuition and/or cost of attendance in merit so it might be better to wait and contact School B when the financial situation for each school is finalized.

Thank you in advance for any advice! I'd especially love to hear from adcoms and medical school students who have successfully negotiated merit scholarships.
I'm not an adcom or a med student, but what exactly are you expecting to happen before they are ready to tell anyone anything (mid/end March)? It's surely nerve wracking, and you are undoubtedly anxious, but you won't have to make any decisions, anywhere, until the end of April. So what would you expect to accomplish, other than maybe annoying them, by telling them you want to talk NOW???????

AFTER they tell you whether they are giving you anything is the time to tell them about your other opportunities, and then see whether they are receptive to doing anything for you or not. You might already be in line for a full COA scholarship where you won't have to lift a finger, but, they are surely not going to make an exception and disclose to you before they announce to everyone, a full month before the PTE deadline. JMHO.

Reactions: 1 user