Best time to prepare for/take MCAT with my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently doing some GPA repair and trying to raise my 2.6 up to a competitive point for DO schools, which I seem to be on track with (A+ in Cell Bio, A almost guaranteed in Genetics this summer alone). This next year should be the last year that I am in undergrad (my fifth year after messing up too much earlier on). Here is what I have planned to finish up my degree:

Fall Semester
---------------------
Intro Microbiology
Pharmacology
Organic Chemistry 1 + Lab
Pathophysiology Lecture

Winter Break
--------------------
THEA 220 (A general class I need to get out of the way)

Spring Semester
-------------------------
Evolution Lecture
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy
Human Physiology
Organic Chemistry 2 + Lab
Upper Level Elective

Summer 2014
---------------------
Ecology
Upper Level Elective

As you can see, I have a fairly busy year that I'm looking forward to. Assuming I keep getting the As that I'm looking for (just needed to put in the work I wasn't before), I need to find a time to prepare for and take the MCAT. From what I read, three months of full-time studying is appropriate, but I'll have to at least keep a part-time job to keep myself afloat. What would be the best timeline for me to practice for the MCAT, take it, and submit my applications? What I'm guessing is after I've completed my degree I can practice and take it before summer begins, get my score back and apply as early as possible, but I would greatly appreciate input on if there is a better way I can approach this.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Since I can't answer your question, here's some info. that might be useful:

MCAT scores are good for 3 years according to AAMC.

AAMC practice tests scores are usually close to your real mcat score.

One plan would be to use your 3 months doing SN2ed's plan: http://studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/ Or go through TBR and EK in 3 months. If you can do well on a practice AAMC test, take the real thing. If don't do well enough after that on an AAMC practice test, postpone and keep studying.

Since I can't answer your question, here's some info. that might be useful:

MCAT scores are good for 3 years according to AAMC.

AAMC practice tests scores are usually close to your real mcat score.

One plan would be to use your 3 months doing SN2ed's plan: http://studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/ Or go through TBR and EK in 3 months. If you can do well on a practice AAMC test, take the real thing. If don't do well enough after that on an AAMC practice test, postpone and keep studying.

I appreciate your help. What I'm thinking is I'll graduate Summer 2014, then do the Sn2ed plan while working part time. I know t hat's not recommended and I can drag it out a little bit if I feel I need the extra time since I can't apply until July I think? I'll take it when I'm ready and then apply as early as possible for the 2015 cycle. Perhaps just listing it out helped :) Thanks!