Link39) IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO A QUESTION BY A SUPERIOR or PATIENT , JUST SAY "I DON'T KNOW BUT I WILL FIND OUT" instead of continuously guessing and BSing the answer.
40) DON'T UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF HOLDING A "FAMILY MEETING" FOR PATIENTS WITH DIFFICULT FAMILY MEMBERS.
41) FOR IV DRUG ABUSER WHO SOMEHOW GOT ADMITTED FOR A QUICK FIX, THE QUICKEST WAY TO GET THEM OUT = don't give IV pain meds + keep them NPO. They will magically leave AMA (against medical advice) the next day.
42) IF YOU PLAN ON DOING A PROCEDURE THE NEXT DAY (especially MI work up) REMEMBER TO KEEP PATIENTS NPO AFTER MIDNIGHT! Important on sunday admissions. Now, if you are admitting on a friday, let the patient eat.
43) BE MINDFUL OF PREGNANCY IN WOMAN OF AGE BEFORE STARTING MEDS especially ABX!
44) RELATIVELY EASY ADMISSIONS AND DISCHARGE = DKA, ETOH withdrawal/intoxication, Chest pain rule out MI (unless it's a ruptured aorta), Cellulitis, Drug OD.
45) IF PATIENT IS ALTERED = easy H&P for you. can write "unable to obtain" in ROS/FH/PSH/PMH/SH etc...
46) BEFORE WRITING AN H&P CHECK IN THE EMR IF PATIENT GOT OLD RECORDS, will save you lots of time in the FH/PSH/PMH/SH section (COPY/PASTE) + look for tests recently done so you don't have to repeat them!
47) TAKE STEP 3 DURING AN ELECTIVE OR CLINIC MONTH, CHECK YOUR PROGRAM POLICY ON GRANTING YOU "EDUCATIONAL LEAVE" FOR THE ACTUAL TEST DATE, SO THEY DON'T DEDUCT YOUR VACATION TIME. Then schedule on weekdays, ideally Monday-Tuesday (2 days exam), so you can use your weekend for last minute brush up without wasting them to take your exam. START THE PROCESS EARLY DUDES, FROM THE MOMENT YOU REGISTER, IT'LL TAKE AT LEAST 2 WEEKS BEFORE YOU CAN SCHEDULE, i.e. sending them a notarized form with your picture
48) FEBRUARY AND MARCH ARE NOTORIOUS FOR SERIOUS BURNT OUT/ LOW MORALE MONTHS DURING INTERN YEAR. SCHEDULE EASY ELECTIVES DURING THESE MONTHS OR A WEEK OF VACATION.
49) TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO JOKE IN PUBLIC, THINGS CAN BE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT AND HAUNT YOU LATER. DO JOKE/ HAVE FUN WITH YOUR FELLOW INTERNS BUT BE-WARY OF THOSE AROUND YOU.
50) GHOST MINI HEADPHONES - are great when want to be left alone but can't due to certain situation i.e. sharing a call room, try to rest but co-workers trying to engage you in conversations. you can just put the headphone on without even turning on any devices. works like a charm.