Best time to send LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DepecheMode

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't know if it's been discussed yet this year with the new April 30 deadline.

My top choice put me on their unranked waitlist. I understand that the usefulness of updates/letters of interest is up for debate, but I don't see how it could hurt. My question is if there is an ideal time to send a letter so that it doesn't get buried but also isn't too late to have any effect.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't know if it's been discussed yet this year with the new April 30 deadline.

My top choice put me on their unranked waitlist. I understand that the usefulness of updates/letters of interest is up for debate, but I don't see how it could hurt. My question is if there is an ideal time to send a letter so that it doesn't get buried but also isn't too late to have any effect.

Thanks
It is not unreasonable to send these when you are accepted to an MD school but prefer a "lesser" or more expensive school and after waitlist movement has started at your preferred school (as long as they have an unranked waitlist).

Make it concise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
It is not unreasonable to send these when you are accepted to an MD school but prefer a "lesser" or more expensive school and after waitlist movement has started at your preferred school (as long as they have an unranked waitlist).

Make it concise.

One of my preferred choices has a ranked waitlist. I've been planning to wait until after April 30 to send an LOI. Is this acceptable, or would you recommend also waiting until some people come off the list? Thank you!

One of my preferred choices has a ranked waitlist. I've been planning to wait until after April 30 to send an LOI. Is this acceptable, or would you recommend also waiting until some people come off the list? Thank you!
I don't see how an "LOI" will make any difference at all with a ranked waitlist. They just go down the list. Are you holding an acceptance at a "better" school (in case they skip over people unlikely to accept)?

I don't see how an "LOI" will make any difference at all with a ranked waitlist. They just go down the list. Are you holding an acceptance at a "better" school (in case they skip over people unlikely to accept)?

I just double-checked to make sure I wasn't confusing terminology between different schools, and while the waitlist is definitely tiered, nothing is specifically said about a ranked list - so perhaps there is some wiggle room! I don't think any of my current acceptances are considered "better," but a couple are less expensive (slightly).

I just double-checked to make sure I wasn't confusing terminology between different schools, and while the waitlist is definitely tiered, nothing is specifically said about a ranked list - so perhaps there is some wiggle room! I don't think any of my current acceptances are considered "better," but a couple are less expensive (slightly).
Then, as long as they are open to such things, go ahead.
Be sure to keep it short!