Best time to take Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ULTRON

No Food And Drinks in Lab
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to have my Step 3 scores in hand when I go for my first residency interview. What would be the latest I can take Step 3? Thank you.

ULTRON

Members don't see this ad.

Well IVs begin sometime in November, so I need to take the exam ~ mid September. I guess I answered my own question.

I want to have my Step 3 scores in hand when I go for my first residency interview. What would be the latest I can take Step 3? Thank you.

ULTRON

it doesn't have any bearing on your interview, regardless of your step 1 and 2 scores.
In other words whether you did good/bad on your steps, the step 3 isn't really that important.
Most other candidates, especially US seniors, only have step 1 scores.

The only reason i can think of that a step 3 will help you is if you're applying for a VISA during your residency

I see. Thank you

it doesn't have any bearing on your interview, regardless of your step 1 and 2 scores.
In other words whether you did good/bad on your steps, the step 3 isn't really that important.
Most other candidates, especially US seniors, only have step 1 scores.

The only reason i can think of that a step 3 will help you is if you're applying for a VISA during your residency