best time to take Step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tastebuds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to take step 3? I feel like intern year is gonna be hectic as it is, so maybe it might be better to take this exam before first year of residency. I have 3 months off before starting residency. I also want to enjoy my last few months of freedom....because once I start residency I wont even have time to breathe. So I am in a dilemma. :scared:
Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Lucky you to have 3 months off....I say go for it. I dont think you will have a better time than that to study. A month ought to do it. It also depends on when you can take it, as I believe you need to have proof of graduating from a med school to register. Also, I have heard some say that intern year helps to prepare you for the test, although I'm sure studying well would be enough to pass. Good luck. :cool:

As part of the USMLE requirements to take the Step 3, you should apply only after the date of graduation on your medical school diploma or the issue date of your ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate. (Recent medical school graduates can take up to six weeks to verify degrees before approval for Step 3).

If you submit a Step 3 application prior to graduation from medical school or issuance of the ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate your application will be cancelled and a portion of your fees forfeited.

As part of the USMLE requirements to take the Step 3, you should apply only after the date of graduation on your medical school diploma or the issue date of your ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate. (Recent medical school graduates can take up to six weeks to verify degrees before approval for Step 3).

If you submit a Step 3 application prior to graduation from medical school or issuance of the ECFMG or Fifth Pathway certificate your application will be cancelled and a portion of your fees forfeited.

I didnt know about all of this. I do not get my degree until end of May....so I guess I will have to wait to take the exam after that....which really sucks because I have so much free time right now. I guess I am forced to enjoy myself...hehe :)

Thanks anyways guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Take this exam as soon as you are eligible and get it out of the way. I took this exam two weeks after taking my first ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam) which is always given on the last Saturday in January. The closer to Step II that you take this exam, the more that you remember. I only needed a pass (P) and that's all I was going for. People who put this exam off tend to find that things (in-training exams), conferences, research and other residency stuff can start to build up. Get this one out of the way ASAP.