1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Best Time to Take the MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Prince Abubu, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Prince Abubu

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    End of sophmore year? junior year?

I want to do it by the end of sophmore year, but that would require cramming a bunch of science classes together, probably resulting in a lower GPA. What would you people suggest?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mastac741

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd say take the MCAT after you've taken all your pre-requisites. Remember, ALL your MCAT scores will appear on your application. Medical schools claim to only look at the highest one, but they look at all your scores.

I say you take it when you are ready - giving yourself at least 3 months to devote to the MCAT full time to study - 6 months if you're going to study only part time.

SO, I'd guess end of junior year would be a good time to take it.

My advice - only take it once. I only took it once and now am accepted to med school. After I was finished, I never wanted to take it again. I don't know how some people take it 3-4 times. The exam is brutal.

4. OncDoc19

OncDoc19 MS4
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think there is any advantage to taking the MCAT your sophomore year. In fact it seems as though there are distinct disadvantages - too many sciences classes in each semester resulting in a lower GPA. Also if you are taking a heavy load of courses you won't have enough time to study for the MCAT. I took it in January of this year and personally I think this is a great time to take it. My reasons are: 1) Depending on your school the January MCAT is probably going to occur in the first couple of weaks of the spring semester which is nice because you won't be dealing with a lot of homework, exams and projects for your classes, 2) You will have your school's winter break time to focus on studying for the MCAT (of course you shoudl start studying before wnter break) and 3) although the best case scenario is to take the exam only once, if you had to, you could retake the exam in April or May and still be able to know your scores before you apply and yet be able to still apply early. Good luck!