jesse14

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
263
1
34
Toronto
Status
DPT / OTD
what's the best treatment out there for onycomychosis? (toenail fungus)

Thanks guys
 

razorback831

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2005
146
0
Status
pratik7 said:
I rotated at a derm clinic a couple weeks ago....and he faithfully used terbinafine (lamisil). Because of liver toxicity he ran LFTs before prescribing anyone
 

Dr. Donkey

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
370
5
Status
lamsil topical ointment also works...surprising and despite the fact that the bottle specifically says don't put it on nails. Go figure.
 

mellow yellow

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
83
1
Status
The cheapest and safest treatment may be Vicks vapo-Rub. You won't have to worry about your patient going into liver failure or having your patient fork over 150-200 bucks a month for 6-12 months for Lamisil or other dangerous anti-fungals since their insurance will likely not cover treatment. Anti-fungals are not totally innocuous meds... Asks most MDs and they'll tell you horror stories of pts who have died or pts who have been in serious **** from using them. In the end, the efficacy of most anti-fungals is not really that great and you may end up w/ just as much bang for the buck w/ some vapo-rub.
 
OP
jesse14

jesse14

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
263
1
34
Toronto
Status
DPT / OTD
How does vaporub help with onycomychosis? I've actually heared about this before, but i'm not sure what active ingredients there are in the rub to destroy the fungus under the nail bed.

Have you seen this work for other people's nail conditions?
 

pillowhead

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2002
1,029
3
Visit site
Status
jesse14 said:
How does vaporub help with onycomychosis? I've actually heared about this before, but i'm not sure what active ingredients there are in the rub to destroy the fungus under the nail bed.

Have you seen this work for other people's nail conditions?
we've been told in micro that topical medications cannot eliminate toenail fungus. topical creams only work on the skin, not nails. the only real cure is oral anti-fungals.
 

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
7,529
22
44
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
pillowhead said:
we've been told in micro that topical medications cannot eliminate toenail fungus. topical creams only work on the skin, not nails. the only real cure is oral anti-fungals.
yep, it's a well known fact that the only effective treatment is systemic antifungals.
 

stanMD

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
64
0
Stanford, CA
Visit site
Status
razorback831 said:
I rotated at a derm clinic a couple weeks ago....and he faithfully used terbinafine (lamisil). Because of liver toxicity he ran LFTs before prescribing anyone
lamisil tabs...nuff said. And make sure to do the LFT's.
 

Dr. Donkey

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
370
5
Status
I know it doesn't appear to make sense but it does appear to work. I tried it myself (on advice from a family practioner), and perhaps there were other factors involved, but it worked. Maybe it manages to work its way into the toe nail bed. Take this anecdote for what it's worth.

Sledge2005 said:
yep, it's a well known fact that the only effective treatment is systemic antifungals.