Best UC for Degree in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProLogic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge on any UC schools reputable for their degree in Biology. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of Biology? That tends to make a big difference....

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UC Davis was traditionally a big agriculture school, so for plant biology, etc. would think they would be good. Also there may be a wine-making major there...I think.

I had a friend who did a postdoc in developmental biology at UCSF and there is definitely a lot of medical research going on there, though I know nothing about their undergraduate school.

I was thinking along the lines of Human Biology. Isn't that the degree most people have when applying to Medical school?

If you can get in, I strongly suggest UC Berkeley or UCLA. The main reason is because they have better academic reputations, especially outside of CA. There are no guarantees that you will be able to stay in CA for med school even if you have a 3.5+ GPA and MCAT >32, so it is best to go to the best school possible if you can swing it.

Also, you don't have to major in bio to go to med school. All you need are 1 yr each of general bio, gen chem, organic chem, and physics, plus their associated lab classes.

I think UC Davis was traditionally a big agriculture school, so for plant biology, etc. would think they would be good. Also there may be a wine-making major there...I think.

I had a friend who did a postdoc in developmental biology at UCSF and there is definitely a lot of medical research going on there, though I know nothing about their undergraduate school.

That's probably because it doesn't exist ;)

LOL.
There are no undergrad majors at all at UCSF? Sorry to hijack the thread, but now I'm curious...

That's really interesting. I've never heard of a graduate-only university. They have a med school and PhD programs, right? Are the PhD programs only in sciences, then?

UCSF is indeed a Graduate school.

LOL.
There are no undergrad majors at all at UCSF? Sorry to hijack the thread, but now I'm curious...

That's really interesting. I've never heard of a graduate-only university. They have a med school and PhD programs, right? Are the PhD programs only in sciences, then?

there is a TON of them. Example: Midwestern University, Meharry, Jefferson, Mt. Sinai...to name a few

Ok let me hi-jack my own thread for a second.. say I wanted to get a degree in General Biology from a private University. What would be the best choice private uni for this major? (doesn't have to be in CA). On that note, do medical schools (MD & DO) care which University you got your pre-req's done at? I'm looking at UC Merced right now and I think I have a pretty good chance of getting in the 2010 year. It's a relatively new campus, and it has an AMSA club. It's also close to home and has a very low cost of living.

Last edited:
If you can get over the public perception of UCSC being a school full of pot smoking hippies, UC Santa Cruz provides an excellent science program both for pre-meds and those interested in research.

It is the only UC currently that provides a BS in Health Sciences which is catered completely to those students wanting to pursue a career in the health professions. Bulit into the program is an internship with a health care professional. I did my internship with a DO who owned her own practice and learned a lot. I also got a sweet LOR out of it.

The science classes are just a rigorous as any other UC and you learn a ton. It has excellent facilities and great professors (some of which are doing fantastic research and others soley dedicated to lecturing). Plus the elective science classes are amazing. I took cancer cell biology as my last science class. It was amazing.

^^ Yeah.. I looked into UCSC. That school isn't for me.. the whole environment wouldn't be for me. Not a liberal, not an environmentalist, believe in using animals for research and probably a bunch of other things they'd probably hate me for :D

^^ Yeah.. I looked into UCSC. That school isn't for me.. the whole environment wouldn't be for me. Not a liberal, not an environmentalist, believe in using animals for research and probably a bunch of other things they'd probably hate me for :D

You may have trouble finding a UC to attend if these are your requirements.:)

San Diego where UCSD is is pretty conservative compared to most of California :D

What kind of Biology? That tends to make a big difference....

completely agree. I personally went to UC Berkeley and loved it. I feel they prepare you really well for research, which is important. You mentioned you're conservative though and though the overall environment at Cal isn't as "hippish" as it used to be, a lot of people are liberal. Also there really isn't much "human biology" per se as an undergrad, as you're expected to remain undecided, , though of course you can also take anatomy/physio etc to get yourself prepared....Most UCs have various different biological tracks or biochemistry tracks that you can go through, depending on your interests. UC Davis is traditionally more into agricultural/marine biology as somebody else already said, but an excellent coverage of more "human biology" too as there are TONS of premeds.

And your other question about private universities is way too broad for me to address without getting to know you better. And to the 3rd question you asked, of course it matters somewhat where you do the pre-reqs (I mean, that is why you're asking which colleges are better right?) But find a school you'll be happy at and where you think you'd fit in better...

I am biased towards Cal, but there really is a strong bio program if you are premed. Anat/Phys, Neuro, Pharm are all really top notch courses, plus a disproportionate amt of the med students and residents from california that I've met end up being berkeley grads. They pump out a ton of grads that end up becoming med students each year, so you will find a cal grad at every institute for the most part.

Agree with BerkeleyMD. I went to UC Berkeley. One of my mentors at Berkeley once told me that Berkeley is like boot camp for the world and I totally agree. Being premed at Berkeley is very difficult, and there is a lot of weeding out along the way, but for those that make it, you are well prepared for the stress and rigor of med school. It is a fantastic school with great opportunities, a beautiful campus, interesting and fun surroundings and provides a really solid base for anything you could possibly want to do in life.
If you go to Berkeley, I recommend trying to get connected with PDP and BSP. PM for questions.