Best UCs for MedSchool? UCs vs CSUs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this question has been asked in the past. I already did a search on Google and SDN, but came up with only few articles, some of them old. I am transferring from a CC this year where I have been for several years and the last year barely took any classes (took two classes at a university). Since I have a low CC GPA, I am wondering which UCs would be best to persuade med schools to give more weight to my UC GPA rather than the CC. Since even after maintaining close to 4.0 at UC my total AMCAS GPA at graduation will be close to 3 or 3.1, I might have to do SMP. In that case, does the undergrad school still matter to med schools? What about CSUs vs UCs? (I am majoring in physics). From what I could gather, the general consensus is that all things being equal UC is better than CSU. I am assuming this will be especially true in my case.

I was particularly thinking about UCR vs UCI, UCSD, UCSF, and maybe UCLA. I like that UCR has a small campus, but sometimes there seem to be a lot of negative reviews about it. Is UCI really better? How?

If I were to go to CSU, I could live at home and save the rent payments, continue working for aerospace company and a legal job (over $16/hr), be close to my family, friends, girlfriend, etc... In Riverside I'd probably have to work at minimum wage, don't know a single person (and I'm not outgoing), will have to pay rent, and I hear that the neighborhood is not the safest. Of course, these considerations might have to take a backseat to what's best for medical school.

CSU is supposed to provide closer contact with professors, but it doesn't have the research opportunities of UCR (or any other UC) and no Thomas Haider Program with UCLA. I guess in terms of UC vs CSU it comes down to whether it's worth it to invest in UC so much when I already will likely have to do SMP. I doubt the Haider program will get me into UCLA Med even if I maintain close to 4.0 at UCR. Maybe if I get close to some of the professors…

About three years ago my bio professor used to say that CSU=black hole for med school. You won't get into one if you go to CSU. I am not sure about the veracity of this, at least currently.

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF isn't an undergrad school. I honestly don't think that it matters where you go to school as long as you do very well there. If you would be happier at CSU stay there but you may have to do better in terms of your GPA than you would at a UC. You won't NOT get into med school if you go there, it may just be a bit harder. Also, UCLA, Cal, etc are really well regarded schools so, again, you may have a slight edge but not anything which will hurt you if you do well at other schools.

Maybe this question has been asked in the past. I already did a search on Google and SDN, but came up with only few articles, some of them old. I am transferring from a CC this year where I have been for several years and the last year barely took any classes (took two classes at a university). Since I have a low CC GPA, I am wondering which UCs would be best to persuade med schools to give more weight to my UC GPA rather than the CC. Since even after maintaining close to 4.0 at UC my total AMCAS GPA at graduation will be close to 3 or 3.1, I might have to do SMP. In that case, does the undergrad school still matter to med schools? What about CSUs vs UCs? (I am majoring in physics). From what I could gather, the general consensus is that all things being equal UC is better than CSU. I am assuming this will be especially true in my case.

I was particularly thinking about UCR vs UCI, UCSD, UCSF, and maybe UCLA. I like that UCR has a small campus, but sometimes there seem to be a lot of negative reviews about it. Is UCI really better? How?

If I were to go to CSU, I could live at home and save the rent payments, continue working for aerospace company and a legal job (over $16/hr), be close to my family, friends, girlfriend, etc... In Riverside I'd probably have to work at minimum wage, don't know a single person (and I'm not outgoing), will have to pay rent, and I hear that the neighborhood is not the safest. Of course, these considerations might have to take a backseat to what's best for medical school.

CSU is supposed to provide closer contact with professors, but it doesn’t have the research opportunities of UCR (or any other UC) and no Thomas Haider Program with UCLA. I guess in terms of UC vs UCI it comes down to whether it’s worth it to invest in UC so much when I already will likely have to do SMP. I doubt the Haider program will get me into UCLA Med even if I maintain close to 4.0 at UCR. Maybe if I get close to some of the professors…

About three years ago my bio professor used to say that CSU=black hole for med school. You won’t get into one if you go to CSU. I am not sure about the veracity of this, at least currently.
It depends on the CSU. The major CSUs (SLO, Fresno, SF, LB, SD etc) do fairly well in the med school process. I graduated from Long Beach and I know that we did extremely well this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
By CSU I mean CSUN, most likely. Others are far enough so that I have to move, making a UC more appealing. Is CSUN considered to be a "major" school?

Would you say that a UC (UCR, UCI) is not ranked higher than CSUs by inquisitive med schools?

No one cares about school reputations. Do your best and get the highest possible GPA in any school you choose. Make sure you work your tail-off and learn as much as you can.

It helps to go to a school that actually has a medical school, that definitely helps for volunteering and letters of rec. That would mean UCI, UCD, UCSD, UCLA, and UC Berkeley (sorta but not really).

No one cares about school reputations. Do your best and get the highest possible GPA in any school you choose. Make sure you work your tail-off and learn as much as you can.
Eh, that's not quite true. Your undergrad school does play a role, it's just a minor one.

Excelsius- I normally would recommend folks just go to whatever school at which they'll be happiest. For you, you have to do some long and hard navel gazing.

Why have you had such a miserable GPA at a community college? What makes you think you're going to be capable of a 4.0 GPA at a UC? I don't really care about the answers to these questions, but you should.

Go to the best school you are capable of succeeding at. That may not be Berkeley. Forget about working and forget about research. You need to take out whatever loans you need and cut back your ECs to the bare minimum and focus on getting straight A's and nailing your MCAT. Part time research in a lab is a distant second to repairing your GPA.

And if the best you can pull is a 3.1 with two years of straight A's at a UC or CSU, prepare for two years of either an SMP or postbac.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

If you like a small campus, you might like UC Riverside as you said, but you also might like their UCR/UCLA program a lot. It's pretty much the epitome of small class size: 24 medical students.

http://biomed.ucr.edu/content/view/25/49/

Read about it there-- if you look like you'd be interested, ensure the program will still be the same in four years when you plan on applying. UC Riverside will be opening their doors to their medical school in 2012. Best of luck. If you have questions about UC Riverside, let me know. :luck:

Living at home is a great way to save money, but don't let it limit your school selection. In terms of personal growth, it's a good idea to branch of on your own. Also, you can not beat the UC's in terms of value of education for your tuition dollar.

I thought I could get some solid advice here about the UC vs CSU, but you guys have divided opinions as well. This is going to be very tough for me because I basically have no other source of unbiased information I can get. If UCR was closer, I know that UC definitely wins over CSU and I would do that. But the question whether it is worth the extra amount of money to be spent on the rent etc is just difficult to answer. UCs have much better research opportunities and that's important for me since I love research. I just don't want to make a mistake because this is going to be important for my future. Some people used to tell me that a CC is perfectly fine and that school doesn't matter. Then I found out in this forum that med schools actually do a GPA adjustment. This is verified here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I don't want to work my *** off at a CSU only to find out that I will have to go through another GPA adjustment. Spending all this time at a CC must impact me negatively already and I was thinking that to prove to med schools that I have what it takes I must completely change my environment to a UC, instead of CSU, which some med schools might consider the lowest possible place beyond a CC. Am I completely wrong here?

As far as poor performance at a CC goes, it had to do with family matters and I have already discussed it. Sure, it is not guaranteed that I will do perfectly at a UC, but I know that I will give it everything I got because now I am furious with myself. For most of the courses so far I have only studied once every few weeks for a few hours and that was just cramming before the exam. This is irrelevant to this thread right now, but the answer is that yes, I know the reason I haven't been doing well.

I am hoping that maybe you guys will have a little more information I can consider before deciding on the school. I just don't know where else to get this info. UCs and CSUs will be biased and will say that their school is best for pre-meds. Another thing to consider is work. If I don't get into (likely) med school after graduating, I will need to work. With a UC education it might be much easier to get a good job than with a CSU education while doing an SMP. On the other hand, if I stay where I am and go to a CSU, I will be able to keep my job at the aerospace company will get a great promotion after I get my BS, even if it is from CSUN. Still, I would probably have a better chance to attend UCLA medschool if I do very well at UCR because the Thomas Haider program gives you 10:1 vs I think 40:1 if you were to apply to UCLA med school separately. That's 400% better and I could use any help I can with my low stats.

RPedigo, thanks for the offer. Could you (and anyone else at UCR) tell me a little bit about the student body and the city life? I have heard that crime rate is high in Riverside, the weather is unbearably hot (desert), but the rent is supposed to be reasonable. Do you rent prices around the campus? If you have friends at UCI or know anything about it, would you say that UCR and UCI are about the same? I really like the small class size through the Haider program.

If UCR was closer, I know that UC definitely wins over CSU and I would do that. But the question whether it is worth the extra amount of money to be spent on the rent etc is just difficult to answer.
Here's the deal, Excelsius: you're looking at applying to medical school carrying roughly a C average from two years at a junior college. You are fighting an uphill battle here. Is medical school still a possibility for you? Absolutely. But you need to focus if you're going to realize it.

You seem pretty concerned with saving money on rent and keeping your part-time job. If you are extremely debt adverse, medicine is not going to be a very appealing career path. Go to the best undergrad school for you and take out the loans. You have a C average. You need to quit your job. A part-time job means very little to medical schools. Your GPA means a hell of a lot.
UCs have much better research opportunities and that’s important for me since I love research.
How much research experience do you have? Keep in mind that research is a "nice to have" but not a "must have". Regardless of what school you go to, do not get involved in research until you have a solid semester of straight A's. You need to keep distractions down, especially as some CC transfers find the first semester an adjustment period. You can't sacrifice another semester of grades.

You also have an interest in having closer contact with professors. This is a nice advantage at many of the CSUs. But you can get this at UCs as well. UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz, and UC Riverside are all known for having small class sizes and good faculty interactions. Davis and SC both have good research opportunities as well. I'd imagine Riverside does as well, but don't have any firsthand experience.

Some people used to tell me that a CC is perfectly fine and that school doesn’t matter. Then I found out in this forum that med schools actually do a GPA adjustment.
Then like so many things on SDN, you were misled. There may be schools that do an actual GPA adjustment, but if there are, they are rare.

Most (nearly all?) med schools have a very rough way of judging what school you came from, and it essentially resorts to discussing an applicants file and then saying, "Well, he did go to _____." Insert the name of a top 10 school. Not a top 20. Not a top 50. But a top 10 school. No one particularly cares if you went to a school ranked 30 vs. a school ranked 50.

The reason that it's not all that useful is that you can coast into an easy GPA at a tough school by choosing the right courses and professors. You can also get your a$$ handed to you at a nice state school by choosing the ball busters and the tough classes.

Is this really an issue? Yes. That's why they invented the MCAT. It's the equalizer.

Schools will forgive a bit of a dip in grades if you went to notoriously tough schools and took notoriously tough schedules. Other than that, a 3.5 from one school is viewed as a 3.5 from the next school. If it comes down to a tie-breaker, the better school wins, but no one is not going to medical school because they didn't go to a well known enough school.
Nothing is verified there. This article does not indicate that medical schools keep some sort of key to adjust your GPA. It is a study by University of Iowa that says that using this kind of key, they found congruence of GPA with MCAT.

Live in fear if you want, but most med schools have no official key. Choose the best school you'd be happiest at and learn best in, but don't think that a 3.0 at Berkeley is going to be okay and a 3.8 at CSULB will close any doors. Doesn't work that way.

Spending all this time at a CC must impact me negatively already and I was thinking that to prove to med schools that I have what it takes I must completely change my environment to a UC, instead of CSU, which some med schools might consider the lowest possible place beyond a CC. Am I completely wrong here?
Yes, you're pretty much completely wrong here.

All your time at a CC will impact you negatively because you didn't perform. You'd get the same reaction if you had a 2.0 at UCLA. The GPA is going to frighten folks, not the fact that you were at a community college.

It's especially true in California, where we have a great community college system that folks go to for financial reasons. A large percentage of college graduates in our state go the CC route to a BA. Med schools know this. You will meet many community college students in medical schools, at least in California.

I went to a community college for two years and it did not come up once in my interviews. I interviewed at UCSF and they didn't seem to care (was waitlisted).

All things being equal, it's wise to go to the best school you can. But all things are not equal. And if you will perform better in a CSU than a UC, you're better off at a CSU.

Go to where you can succeed right now, Excelsius. This is true for everyone, but especially true for you, because you're coming in with half of your college transcript showing a 2.0.

You need to pretty much get a 4.0 from here on out, and after that, you'll probably need to look into a two year post-bac to get you up to a 3.4 range or an SMP, which would make you competitive for some med schools.

Do not work part-time. This is what loans are for. You will be living on loans for many years.

Do not sweat research. This will be a fun activity that will look nice on your app, but should only be done after you've been able to handle all A's at university as well as done some clinical volunteering.

Do not worry about school reputation. Choose the best school you can concievably pull all A's in. This will not probably not be Berkeley, UCLA, or UCSD. Look at the schools, their classes and word of mouth and choose the one that will best allow you to succeed.

Do not worry about GPA adjustment. Very few schools use a formal tool for this and at none of them will CSULB vs. UCR matter by more than a tiny fraction. Worry about your GPA. Many folks are denied med school because of GPA. I don't know anyone that couldn't get in because of the fact they went to a CSU or community college. Didn't stop me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing to consider is work. If I don't get into (likely) med school after graduating, I will need to work. With a UC education it might be much easier to get a good job than with a CSU education while doing an SMP.
1. If you don't get in to medical school, you will need to go to a SMP full-time. Don't try to juggle more than you can handle. Conflicting priorities is what keeps people out. If you really need to work to get through an SMP, take a year off, work full-time and save money, then come back to pursuing med school when you can focus on it. An SMP is a last ditch attempt to get in to medical school. You don't have another shot after that. You'll need to focus.

2. A degree from UC vs. CSU will hardly matter. If it matters at all, it will matter for your first job. After that, your resume is about your experience. It's different for a grad or professional degree, but if a job requires zero professional experience and a BA, where the BA comes from means very little.
On the other hand, if I stay where I am and go to a CSU, I will be able to keep my job at the aerospace company will get a great promotion after I get my BS, even if it is from CSUN.
You need to sit down and decide if medicine is really your dream. You have a very long uphill battle to overcome your current GPA. Is it possible? Absolutely! But it will require years of hard work, focus and sacrifice. If you try straddling the fence on things, the odds of you coming out on top is pretty remote. You don't want a part-time job to keep you out of medical school, but it very much has that potential.

Again, if money is a huge factor and you can't take out loans (and folks amost always can), take a year or two out until you're ready to focus.
Still, I would probably have a better chance to attend UCLA medschool if I do very well at UCR because the Thomas Haider program gives you 10:1 vs I think 40:1 if you were to apply to UCLA med school separately. That's 400% better and I could use any help I can with my low stats.
Give the folks at UCR a call about the Thomas Haider program. As I understand, they have a cap of 24 (30?) students that they accept through the MD program. You might ask the GPA range. A 3.1 might be well below what they take for the program.

Again, UCR is a great school, but it won't necessarily give you an inside track to UCLA. With where you're at now, you need to focus on going wherever you'll succeed academically so that you can apply widely and broadly. A UC MD might still be a possibility someday, but you might have better luck (and a much wider playing field) by looking OOS. Most Californians with 32/3.7 still are more likely to get accepted OOS than IS. Go where you'll succeed in undergrad and med school will take care of itself.

Focus on pulling your GPA up to a competitive level. It's going to take at least 3-4 years from now to when you can apply. It's going to involve not working, doing some volunteering, and making lots of personal sacrifices. If you're up for it, you still have a shot at medical school. You'll find some that will forgive your first half of college not being very good. But only if you stick it out, make the sacrifices, and perform like a champ from here on out. Any failures after this will pretty much sink you, so you need to focus semester by semester and nail everyone. It's entirely do-able but will take a lot of discipline.

Best of luck with your endeavors....

id highly recommend ucla. classes aren't too bad if you work hard, student body is chill, and plenty of research/clinical opps

Conflicting priorities is what keeps people out.

Absolutely, 100% agree with everything you posted here, but especially this :thumbup:

OP, this person took a big chunk of their time explaining exactly what you will have to do to get into med school...it would be wise to heed their advice. Let me summarize, because I'm not sure I have anything else to add :D

1. Do some serious soul searching and make sure med school is really what you want
2. Make the necessary sacrifices (should be easy once you're committed to your goal)
3. WORK YOUR BUTT OFF and don't look back

Gluck :luck:

Your track record is pretty bad. A lot of it depends on whether or not you think you can play with the big boys. If you're able to get 3.8+ GPA at every school, going to UCBerkeley or UCLA will probably look better than going to CSU. The competition is tougher, and you're better able to make your case that you can succeed in med school despite your low grades from the CC.

However, at the end of the day, a 3.6 from UCLA looks worse than a 3.8 from CSU. Go to where you'll have the highest GPA, and only go for a highly ranked competitive school if you think you can cut it against the competition.

If you like a small campus, you might like UC Riverside as you said, but you also might like their UCR/UCLA program a lot. It's pretty much the epitome of small class size: 24 medical students.

http://biomed.ucr.edu/content/view/25/49/

Read about it there-- if you look like you'd be interested, ensure the program will still be the same in four years when you plan on applying. UC Riverside will be opening their doors to their medical school in 2012. Best of luck. If you have questions about UC Riverside, let me know. :luck:

UCLA undergrad seems fairly popular for pre-meds... right?

Thank you for the detailed response, notdeadyet. Finances concern me because I might have to still pay for an SMP. In addition, I have about 10K to pay off my car and another 10k to pay off a credit card. It just doesn’t feel sensible to me to get a loan to pay these off especially since all my debt is already on average 4.99% fixed (lower than most student loans). But if that’s what you guys do as well, then I guess it is the norm and there is nothing wrong with it. I will do whatever I have to prepare for med school. Actually I work at two part time jobs and I am sure going to quit one or reduce my total hours below 15-20.

My research experience is too little for some med schools I’d like to attend (research oriented). So I need it.

My GPA is actually about 3.0. The reason my AMCAS GPA is much lower (2.6) is because I have received some Fs/Ds that didn’t know med school would count. The reason it’s going to be difficult to bring it up is because I have taken too many units at CC.

Yes, you’re right about the Haider. It is 24 seats, but because not a lot of people apply, the chances are about 10:1 nevertheless – 4 times better than through an independent application.

I am hoping that you get your information from firsthand experience with medschools since you are already a med student. It seems the general theme is that if I can perform basically the same at UCR or CSUN, then UC will help, but very little. If I will do slightly better at CSU than at UC, then CSU is better because it’s all a numbers game. If you are a URM, then your experience with medschools might be a little different. I am not a URM and that’s why I’m trying to gain every little advantage I can. I have contacted the premedical departments at both schools and am waiting for a response.

Meanwhile, some statistics that make me vacillate about attending Northridge: This page http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/start.htm has a plethora of information. In there, you can see that UC campuses, even UCI and UCR (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/masian07.htm) contribute many applicants to med schools. CSUs are not even listed there. This may mean that many med schools may have never heard about some of the CSUs. To find out further information, I turned to MDApplicants. I agree that it is not the most reliable source, but it is often possible to separate out fake profiles. Many profiles there are from SDN and if we assume that many of them are spurious, then it certainly paints a dark picture of the SDN community where many of us come for advice – it would be too unreliable. That’s another reason why I think that most profiles there are reliable. In any case, after going through the profiles, here are some statistics of students who applied from each school:

Berkeley 211
UCLA 103
UCSD 53
Irvine 24
Riverside 12

I am also attaching a file where I have collected all the credible profiles. There isn’t anything in the profiles that gives advantage to CSU or UC. However, one thing that is worrying is that there isn’t a single profile from Northridge. At this point I would be ok attending CSULB if it were close, but I have some doubts about Northridge in particular. Anyone went there? Any medical students? If I had to go to CSULB I might as well just go to UCR. So now I have to find out whether CSUN is really ok to go to. It may just be the lowest ranking CSU and that might not necessarily be helpful.

Attachments

• UC vs CSU.xls
    66.5 KB · Views: 116
It just doesn't feel sensible to me to get a loan to pay these off especially since all my debt is already on average 4.99% fixed (lower than most student loans). But if that's what you guys do as well, then I guess it is the norm and there is nothing wrong with it. I will do whatever I have to prepare for med school. Actually I work at two part time jobs and I am sure going to quit one or reduce my total hours below 15-20.
You're not getting it, but I wish you the best of luck regardless.

You need to get straight A's from here on out. In fact, even with straight A's, med school might still be a stretch. If you are adverse to loans or debt (and there's nothing wrong with that), work full time for a year or two to pay off your debt and/or save money. Do this for as long as it takes. When you are ready to go back and try for med school again, do so.

Coming with a bad track record from a junior college and still trying to work hours that have no impact on medical school is just foolish.
My GPA is actually about 3.0. The reason my AMCAS GPA is much lower (2.6) is because I have received some Fs/Ds that didn't know med school would count.
Then your GPA is not 3.0. Your GPA is 2.6. Only the AMCAS GPA counts.
I am hoping that you get your information from firsthand experience with medschools since you are already a med student.
I'm a med student and interview potential applicants. I help out at a local school (a CSU) with their trying to get in to medical school. I'm not pulling stuff out of the ether, but I understand your hesitation. It's probably wise.
It seems the general theme is that if I can perform basically the same at UCR or CSUN, then UC will help, but very little. If I will do slightly better at CSU than at UC, then CSU is better because it's all a numbers game.
Yes, that's a goood summary.
If you are a URM, then your experience with medschools might be a little different. I am not a URM and that's why I'm trying to gain every little advantage I can.
I am not a URM. You are not a URM. Don't worry about the URMs. And incidentally? They have to try to gain every little advantage that they can too. Don't play that game.
In there, you can see that UC campuses, even UCI and UCR (http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2007/masian07.htm) contribute many applicants to med schools. CSUs are not even listed there. This may mean that many med schools may have never heard about some of the CSUs.
This data is incomplete. I know this because I attend medical school with San Francisco State grads from that cycle. I also know of CSULB grads from that cycle going to medical school. They may only poll data from the UCs. CSU students make it to medical school. Probably not at the same rate that UC students do, but that is probably self-selection.
To find out further information, I turned to MDApplicants. I agree that it is not the most reliable source, but it is often possible to separate out fake profiles.
MDApps is fun. I made one myself. It's useful when you're applying because you can talk to folks on SDN who are applying to the same schools.

But dear god, don't make any assumptions/conclusions out of it. It is highly skewed to the gunner personality type and often flawed. Any statistics from it would be useless.
However, one thing that is worrying is that there isn't a single profile from Northridge. At this point I would be ok attending CSULB if it were close, but I have some doubts about Northridge in particular.
I don't know much about Northridge. I don't know anyone who went there. I would consider the top CSUs to be Cal Poly SLO, CSULB and maybe SFSU (I say maybe because SF was home so I don't know if I'm biased due to familiarity). Northridge would not be on the list of most people's top CSUs.

Again, go to the best school you can be successful at. If you're looking at Northrdige because you can live with your folks, you need to spit out the teat and move (this is not meant to be mean spirited. Maybe I should say, jump from the nest). If you're looking at Northridge because it's near your job, refer to my advice above. If you're just not ready to move, do yourself a favor and work your $16/hr job full-time until you are ready to pursue medicine and then go to the best school you can be successful at.

One last thing to keep in mind, you might want to not limit your school selection too much until you find out where they'll accept you. A 2.6 or 3.0 GPA might slam shut the door at many UCs, so you might want to find out what your options are before you start ruling too much out.

Any talk of work or research at this point for you is wasted breath as you need to focus on academic performance. After you get straight A's at a CSU or UC, come back and post here and I'll give you advice on research or clinical volunteering. But to be honest, schools that absolutely require research are pretty limited and all the ones I know of would be out of your reach given your academic record (Stanford, Utah, etc.).

Again, best of luck to you and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Get straight A's at the best school you can get straight A's at. Don't attempt this until you are in a psychological and financial position to do this.

Go to UCR, it has the aspect that research is easily attainable and also the Haider program. That is the best odds of getting into UCLA SOM. 24 people get in nand lik only 200 apply each year. Compare that to like 5000 people applying independently to UCLA and only 100 getting in.

I understand what you're saying. I get it. What I tried to say is that I will quit job/take loans if necessary to achieve my goal.

I totally understand, my number one priority is numerical: GPA. I know Stanford maybe out of reach, but that won't stop me from trying.

Northridge gets another thumb down since you work with CSUs and still don't know much about that school.
I couldn't help noticing that UCR has distinguished faculty from Stanford, Hopkins, Berkeley, MIT, etc:

http://www.facultydirectory.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/pub/public_dept.pl?dept=41
http://www.facultydirectory.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/pub/public_dept.pl?dept=31

If let's say I'm applying to Stanford, it would definitely help if my strong LOR is from Stanford grad. Compare that to Northrdige, they don't even list where their faculty is from:

https://www.csun.edu/peoplefinder/i...92IHcOhGNiyoDuKeB2LnoBArRy1eXLRN5VQbSPdztT6SG

I have to call to ask.

I talked to UCR: the requirements for the Haider program are the same as for any med school. Since after two years my gpa will still be around 3, i will not be competitive even for the Haider program even if only 70 students (as in one of the cycles) apply for the 24 seats (35% success probability). Maybe I should find out whether an excellent MCAT score and close to 4.0 at UCR will give me a much better chance at med school through Haider right after graduation than if I applied on my own.

I spent a considerable time reading almost every thread concerning CSUs and UCs. One thing that is clear is that the school name definitely matters. However, the UC vs CSU is a very complex issue since there are a lot of variables. Before I make my own decision, I will be talking to the medical advisers at both schools, along with the counselors at my CC while keeping in mind the volumes of information found on SDN.

I know that I am not the only one in this position. I'd like to help anyone in the future who may want to learn about CSU vs UC. Below are all the threads concerning CSUs vs UCs from 2002 until now (2008). The keywords I used for search are included too so that you can continue the search if you read this post several years from now:

Keyword: Northridge
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=485662
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=483663
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=440897
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=395866
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=397666
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=327055
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=255458
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243219
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=240009
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=41992
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=6281

Keyword: CSUN
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=500865
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=501147
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=381011
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=363042
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=115022

Keyword: CSUs
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384491
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=384491
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=317245
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=308368
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=275180
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=268529
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=264537
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=261354
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=213665 (CC pre-reqs not good)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=79960
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=41703
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=41703
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=4247

All the searches above included all the Premed forums. Each category goes from the most recent to the oldest thread from top of the list to the bottom. It will take many hours, but I would strongly suggest to read everything in there. There are arguments both for and against CSUs, but most are against. All the CSU success stories exclude the information about whether the applicant is URM. I think most of them maybe and that further lowers the relevance of CSU success stories for non-URMs (under-represented minorities).

Also check this out: http://web.archive.org/web/20000829094953/http://www.pcmagic.net/abe/gradeadj.htm

It shows that at least law schools clearly downgrade your GPA if you are from CSU or even from one of the UCs: Riverside! GPAs from MIT etc are upgraded.

I would like to include some highlights from the threads listed above. Almost all the quotes are referenced to the person who said that. Some of these people are residents/medical students, so they know what they're talking about:

I went to Cal Poly too, and while I'm glad that I did go there because it was the right school for me, it was probably not the best choice for getting into med school. The CSUs are not well known outside of California and the UCs are snobby towards CSU students (for example, UCSF gives extra points just for going to a UC vs. a CSU).

hb2998
Double major with high GPA from state school is definitely favored over regular dude from superb school.

You can always stress why you went to state school and how your reason applies to your success in medical school (ie. you learn best with smaller class sizes).

Its more about you did/accomplished, but I can guarantee you that certain schools (Stanford) are just unlikely to interview students from supposedly subpar schools. Why? I don't know, but my theory is that these schools care for research and believe the research exposure you receive at state schools to be inferior (even though you might have done the same exact thing as another in a preferred institution).

MrTee
I've taken classes at both schools. I will have to say that the competition you will experience at UCLA is much stiffer than at SJSU. If you're concerned with your GPA, you should go to SJSU. I'm not sure about the breadth of the classes offered at SJSU though, and the research opportunities are more limited (I have no idea what kind of research you can do at SJSU, whereas at UCLA, there are many possibilities).

Also, if you're a super student, going to UCLA would be better, since a 4.0 from there is stronger than a 4.0 from SJS.

jlee9531
yes they do take your undergrad institution under consideration. tho i have heard of lower gpa students from ucla get into medical institutions...i have yet to hear a low gpa student from a cal state getting in. and yes i do know a good deal of cal state kids.

kikkoman
but the people you meet and how they influence you in college will affect who you become to some degree. of course there are talented and interesting people at lower rate schools, but there just arent as many of them.

exmike
I think it boils down to you, and how you perform. If you're going to bust a$$ and get a 4.0 at SJSU, I dont thikn it'll matter much at all. The reputation of the schools will come into play if you have low MCATs and your GPA is just average. Really think about how well you'll do your next to years and use that as your guide.

Goober
Well having been a former student member of an adcom, I can say that we certainly weighted gpas according to school. UCB and UCLA had weightings that were just below the premier schools like MIT/Ivy League ect. Cal State schools had very low ratings.

Having said that, we did interview some CSU students. They tended to be absolutely stellar applicants overall both in numbers(gpa 3.8-4.0, MCAT above 35) and ECs. The ones that didn't have these numbers were mostly URMs.

Ultimately you have decide where you will be happiest. The main thing is that you do well wherever you are at. It already sounds like your leaning towards SJSU.

EndSong
You should definitely transfer to a UC. I went to a CSU and it was a terrible experience that no doubt also hurt my application. I was able to get into medical school, but during more than one interview, I was asked point-blank why I didn't transfer to a better school like "UCLA".

As someone that's been to a CSU, I have to agree. The education is not a rigorous as it should be and the extracurricular opportunities are extremely limited. While you do get to know your professors better, I have found that even at a CSU, not all professors seemed that interested in teaching or research, so I'm not sure that knowing them is entirely all that helpful.

dsh
UCR is a good choice if you'd be happy in the Thomas Haider program. There is significant competition, but odds are much more in your favor than with other California schools. For example, this year only about 70 applicants interviewed for 24 slots.

If your interest lies in other top 20 schools, it might be better for you to go to a more prestigious UC.
A degree from Cal or LA will give you more of an edge than Riverside.

phishee
I think one reason UC's have more matriculants into med school is because more people from UC's apply. When I was an undergrad I went to an info session about applying to med school and half of an auditorium was filled. At my CSU there were only 6 people.
I like that there are less people applying because I get more time from my advisor. I love the advisors at my CSU! At my UC I barely got the time of day. Also, the UC advisors told many of my fellow pre-meds that they couldn't make it and to give up. Not very supportive if you ask me. I asked an undergrad at my CSU about his experience and he really likes it. It seemed that at my CSU you actually have more research opportunities because less students are out gunning for one.

west nile
I had spoke with a doctor who was on the adcomm of a NY med school about 5 years ago who said I should only consider UC's, but I want to know if this is still valid. Are CSU's still looked at as less prestigous than UC's?

Pinkertinkle
4 years of tuition at UC undergrad is less than 1 yr of tuition at a private med school. How much money are you really saving by going to a CSU instead of a UC? Not enough to justify the different atmosphere that's for sure.

honker
Be sure to look at more than GPA and MCAT scores when assessing chances from a CSU campus. A significant percentage are URMs, since UC tries very hard to get a diversity of backgrounds into their professional schools, and the pool of URM applicants is limited.

hegross1
I've talked to doctors and what I have found out about csu vs uc is that it is not so much the school that counts but rather the reputation of the major program offered at the school.

BozoSparky
I went to CSU, Fresno. Not too many people were accepted to medical school. Even students with very good grades had trouble, unfortunately.

beffers8888
Since you want to go to the east coast I'd say that you should go to a UC because no one will have heard of the CSUs. Wherever you go, just make sure to get a 4.0!

kirexhana
i agree. it's going to be a little harder coming from a csu than a UC, BUT it's got it's ups as well. one of them being LOTS of facetime with professors, which i can't stress enough if you're looking for good letters of rec.

it's not impossible to get into medical school. it's not impossible to get into a good medical school. it's not impossible to get into a top 5 medical school. it all depends on the individual. there was a girl from my school, csula, who got into UCSF...with a 25 on the mcat (i think her gpa and ec's were amazing). so i stress, DON'T think that going to a UC instead of a cal state will be your stepping stone into med school. a lot of it is based on how much work you're willing to put in.
  • I really do feel like the lack of "prestige" at my school made it harder for me as an applicant. My Vanderbilt interviewer said that it was probably the only thing holding back my application (which made me cringe inward). I ended up getting waitlisted
redorkulated
I went to fullerton, I think it was a good fit for me. Find the school that best fits you, visit the schools you're considering and talk to people who actually go there. For fullerton I suggest making an appointment with the Health professions office to see what the school can offer you. I got to know each of my professors on a personal level and our Health professions office was extremely good. I do agree with the others, if you want name recognition go with the UC's when I interviewed at out of state med schools they didn't know anything about CSUF. pm me if you have any other questions about CSUF.

Medikit
I think CSU vs. UC just depends on the student. I'm definitely glad I went to a CSU and I wouldn't take back all of the great experiences I had there. But not every CSU has a great program, I would get to know the professors and find out how successful their pre-meds are. Chico just happened to have a pretty good program and I'm really grateful for that.

doublepeak
If you go outside of California then the prestige of a UC vs a CSU is virtually non-existant. Sure people know Berkeley and UCLA are good, but they really don't know about Davis or Santa Barbara in comparison to Cal Poly or Fresno State. Even in California, at my UCSF interview there were people from CSUs as well as UCs, Caltech, and Harvard - so your not out of the field.

While you can have anecdotal information about a single personal experience, in the aggregate, looking at hundreds of applications per year for many years, and looking at how other adcom members "read", a sub-optimal gpa at a well-regarded school and good grades at a low-level school, I can tell you that getting an A in Organic Chem at a community college that takes all comers and opens O-Chem to anyone with a C or higher in community college chemistry, is not going to impress us very much when we compare it to the person who earned an A in O-Chem at a very tough school.

Medikit
If you really want to go to Johns Hopkins I think transfering to UCLA might be a good idea along with doing what PittBruin suggested. Just don't be surprised if you miss CSULB

Newbie1
I went to a state school (Chico) and was told the same thing as chapinisita's friend regarding gpa (CSU 4.0 = 3.7/8 bigger name).

beatla19
I go to a CSU, and I'd say a big problem for us is that we don't have med school affiliated with our schools. UC med schools seem to take a lot of students from their respective undergrad, especially davis i hear. I've thought about that fact a couple of times since rejecting Davis' offer of admission.

Jalby
Cal State San Bernardino
3.98 (damn english class)
42 MCAT
Appled to 49 schools, got into 2 total. It seemed that my interviewers had a little problem with the difficulty of CSUSB.

energy_girl
People from my undergrad (CSULA) do very well when applying. My year (I'm a second year med student), one person ended up at UCSF, one at UCLA, another few people at Temple and Meharry, two of us at Washington U (strange coincidence, but another student from CSU-Chico is also in my class), and a couple to very good osteopathic schools.

notdeadyet
You can't really make generalizations about the UC system any more than you can make them about the CSU system. You couldn't personally pay me to have attended Cal or LA, but some folks are very happy there. And while there are some great CSU's, there are more than 1 or 2 that are in pretty dire trouble.

California still has some of the toughest entry requirements for a state school, but we have the advantage of a state that has strong commitment to diversity (which helps we nontrads) and multiple campuses. I got no love from UCLA or UCI but lotsa love from UCSF and UCD. If you have a less than admirable application, multiple campuses is a very nice thing.

The UC vs. CSU thing exists more in-state than nationally. A lot of folks nationally don't understand that they're two different college systems.

All things being equal, you're generally better off with UC. The CSU system is a fine one, but they're not as nationally known as the UCs. When adcoms see an app from Cal State Northridge, it reads like a regional college. When they see one from UCLA, they know where you went to school.

UCs will help hedge your bets, but CSU will not slam shut doors. Just make them a little harder to push open.

If you do want to actually TALK to your professors and have good interaction with them, but still want a UC degree, you can address this by attending UC Riverside or UC Santa Cruz. Both have very small graduate departments, leading to much more faculty involvement. At UCSC, only 10% of student body is graduate (compared with 50% for UCLA and Cal). I ended up going to UC Santa Cruz and it had a huge impact.

Umm... I don't think there is a major difference in education with the major CSUs and the UCs. Sure, Cal, LA and SD have a ton of research and highly decorated professors, but how accessible are they? LB, SLO, SDSU etc have a ton of research as well and I GUARANTEE that med schools respect those institutions. In fact, many UCI med students get their MPH degree from CSULB through a joint program.

Here are a few anecdotal stories of applicants from CSULB.

Student 1. Ton of research, 4.0 GPA 36 MCAT got accepted to UCSF, Harvard, Hopkins, Yale and Stanford and is currently an MSTP at Hopkins. Non-urm.

Student 2. Ton of research, few publications. 3.8/35. Was a accepted to Mayo MSTP, Hopkins, UCLA etc... is currently at Stanford. Non-urm

Student 3. 4.0/34 ton of research, also at stanford. Non-urm

The trend here seems to be that if you are on top of your game, then you will be fine no matter where you go. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like you have this luxury. But I guarantee you that if you sustain a 4.0 gpa for a few years, then your undergrad will matter very little. If I were you, I would pick a school based on the opportunities available for you to optimize your application. You should be more concerned with the faculty, research opportunities, volunteer opportunities, comfort level and how you can develop as a person and an applicant, rather than school name.

And TRUST ME, if someone applies to 49 schools with a 3.8/42 from Chico state and only gets two acceptances, it wasn't the school that held that person back.

Flaahless, I think you are right about that one post concerning Chico state. That person (Jalby) seems to be a shady character (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223082). Maybe he's just a liar or some kid like that. Still, a lot of people mentioned that CSUs affected their chances. Sure, it does not prevent you from going to medical school, but it makes it more difficult, especially at top tier schools. Also note that one of the SNDers who says he worked for adcoms said that only students with stellar number were interviewed from CSUs (unless they were URMs).

CSULB seems to be a good school, but my problem is that I am considering Northridge, which is an unknown school it seems. Even on SDN there are very few people from there. I already have a low GPA going for me. I am not URM and on top of that, I have taken ALL of my pre-reqs and a little beyond at the CC!! To some people, that may just be the worst situation possible. I can only hope that medschools will see my poor performance more from circumstance point of view since they might think that CCs classes are too easy for me to have failed them because I didn't have the aptitude (if I back this up from good grades from a UC).

Anecdotal evidence is encouraging, but in the end it comes down to real data. I don't know if Northridge will be able to provide me any data about their medical school admission success rate and statistics.

I don't have an easy decision to make and at this point I don't even know what my choices will be. I am hoping that with more advice from the advisers and SDN I can at least be more confident in what I choose to do. Maybe later we can have a CSU vs UC poll, but more importantly, once I find out the exact criteria at each institution (financial, lifestyle, research), I will post a comparison chart. That will make it easier to give advice. For example, if a UC ends up costing 30K more than a CSU, would it still be worth it? etc

UC is always better than CSU. You can get into a CSU with a crappy SAT score while you cannot at UCs. But some people go to a CSU because the tuition is so much cheaper (more than 50% cheaper). If you go to UCLA, UCSD, or UCB, you have this little thing called prestige. But otherwise, it does not really matter. It is great to go to UC Merced, let's say, but I would not especially brag about it.

You can get into med school even though you go to a CSU. It does not matter where you get your undergrad degree as long as you have a strong GPA and MCAT. I know some friends who get into Yale and UCSF but their undergrad degree is from a CSU.
Oh, I transferred from a CSU (so I do have CSU education), I got accepted to Johns Hopkins engineering. It made me smile when I got that jhu.edu e-mail address. Just an example that your world won't crumble just because you decide to go to a CSU.

Flaahless, I think you are right about that one post concerning Chico state. That person (Jalby) seems to be a shady character (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223082). Maybe he's just a liar or some kid like that. Still, a lot of people mentioned that CSUs affected their chances. Sure, it does not prevent you from going to medical school, but it makes it more difficult, especially at top tier schools. Also note that one of the SNDers who says he worked for adcoms said that only students with stellar number were interviewed from CSUs (unless they were URMs).

CSULB seems to be a good school, but my problem is that I am considering Northridge, which is an unknown school it seems. Even on SDN there are very few people from there. I already have a low GPA going for me. I am not URM and on top of that, I have taken ALL of my pre-reqs and a little beyond at the CC!! To some people, that may just be the worst situation possible. I can only hope that medschools will see my poor performance more from circumstance point of view since they might think that CCs classes are too easy for me to have failed them because I didn't have the aptitude (if I back this up from good grades from a UC).

Anecdotal evidence is encouraging, but in the end it comes down to real data. I don't know if Northridge will be able to provide me any data about their medical school admission success rate and statistics.

I don't have an easy decision to make and at this point I don't even know what my choices will be. I am hoping that with more advice from the advisers and SDN I can at least be more confident in what I choose to do. Maybe later we can have a CSU vs UC poll, but more importantly, once I find out the exact criteria at each institution (financial, lifestyle, research), I will post a comparison chart. That will make it easier to give advice. For example, if a UC ends up costing 30K more than a CSU, would it still be worth it? etc
CSUN is definitely not unheard of, it has like 35,000 students. California med schools know the CSU system very well, and so do schools in other states. I don't want to sound like a CSU rep. or anything, but it is the largest university system in the world and the major institutions are well known. As far as people saying that their undergrad affected their chances, I think some people need to blame something for their lack of success in the application cycle and often times undergrad institution and urm status are the scapegoats.

However, if you don't feel that you can achieve your professional goals at a CSU, then don't go. But I strongly feel that undergrad institution has about as much importance as your shoe size when it comes to med school admissions. Again, you should put your efforts into improving your gpa, establishing strong a strong rapport with your faculty and developing the most well-rounded application as possible.

Also, I wouldn't rely on the advice of SDN. A lot of people here rely on hearsay and often embellish information.

If you look at the make up of the incoming freshman classes you'll see that many of the students come from: Cal, UCLA, UCSD (20+ each) and Stanford

You won't see more than a handful of students from a CSU at any given CA medschool. Interpret that however you want.

Just to add a few notes about the CSU vs. UC issue: At my interview last month at a UC med school, out of a group of 35 interviewees (all CA residents), only two of us were from a CSU, the rest were from UC something or other, or some private institution. Both myself and the other CSU person were both in engineering masters programs. Although I would guess per UC there are more med school applicants than per CSU, I found the demographics at the interview to be interesting.

If you look at the make up of the incoming freshman classes you'll see that many of the students come from: Cal, UCLA, UCSD (20+ each) and Stanford

You won't see more than a handful of students from a CSU at any given CA medschool. Interpret that however you want.
Cal and UCLA pump out more applicants than ANY other school in the country. UCSD and Stanford pump out a ton as well. Of course they are going to have the most representation in first year medical classes.

For instance, Pomona College doesn't produce that many premeds, but they have one of the highest med school acceptance rates in the country. Interpret that how you want.

Actually, if you really wanted to look at that data, you need to look at percentage accepted and not how many students appear in any one medical school. There are far fewer students applying from CSUs. To have a fair comparison, you need to ask: what is the acceptance rate among students from UC and CSU who have a GPA between 3.6 and 4.0 and MCAT 29 to 35. Now that will give a you better idea, but still would leave out variables like ECs and LORs. If we could get hold of that data, most of our questions would be answered, but I don't know where to get it. It might not be available intentionally as well.