Best ultrasound needle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted185747

I'm looking at Havel's needles, which is best for MSK, non-spine injection?
It looks like the MSK has about 4 echogenic sites and the PTC30 is microlaser etched with many ecogenic sites.

Members don't see this ad.

Best ultrasound needle?
20 gauge tuohy.

If you don't believe me - try one for your self and test against your fancy, expensive "ultrasound" needle. You will be a believer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best ultrasound needle?
20 gauge tuohy.

If you don't believe me - try one for your self and test against your fancy, expensive "ultrasound" needle. You will be a believer.

are you really using 20G tuohy to do a peritendinous injection?

it's barbaric and risky.

The best is the Pajunk ultrasound needle. Fantastic. Very expensive.

Next best is the havels needle with the facets (MSK needle?). The microetched needles are not as good IMO.

I've got a Philips cx-30

I use a 22 gauge 3.5" with the curved probe for hip joints

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I used the Havel MSK needles initially and they were nice. When reimbursement tanked I couldn't justify the cost. I use a 5" 22 ga spinal needle in all but the truly thin patients so I can come in at less acute angle and visualize needle better. Even that bites into the small profit as 5" needle costs more than 3.5".
I use a safersonic stick-on (no gel inside) probe cover. That too is not cheap. What are others doing - probe cover, no-touch, tegaderm??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Best ultrasound needle?
20 gauge tuohy.

20G tuohy is a lot of needle...

I used the Havel MSK needles initially and they were nice. When reimbursement tanked I couldn't justify the cost. I use a 5" 22 ga spinal needle in all but the truly thin patients so I can come in at less acute angle and visualize needle better. Even that bites into the small profit as 5" needle costs more than 3.5".
I use a safersonic stick-on (no gel inside) probe cover. That too is not cheap. What are others doing - probe cover, no-touch, tegaderm??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

anecdotally, tegaderm on/off the probe rubber can degrade it as well. still use probe covers but i dont pay for them.

dont like no touch but perhaps with sterile gel it's okay.

Get good with your technique and 25G can be used for most things, even when you need to go deep. there's a course I know of that is highly rated... Haha

I've been using 22g for hips and deeper procedures and 25g for more superficial structures. Use tegaderm on probe.

Got in contact with Robert, who will be sending me some Havel samples. (Thanks oreosandsake)

With a 20g touhy for a carpal tunnel, you could forget the U/S, make a whale-like bellow and sense the reverberation to know needle location. Hope that trick doesn't hurt GE's bottom line...