Best Undergrad Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the recent post on what was the one thing that you wish you had done during your undergrad years, I was wondering what everyone's best experience in undergrad actually was.

Mine was studying abroad.

Members don't see this ad.

Playing 2.5 years of collegiate soccer in Japan before my premed years in the states

The nights I dont remember, and then was later told about.

Members don't see this ad :)
medking said:
Playing 2.5 years of collegiate soccer in Japan before my premed years in the states

I played one night of collegiate beer pong and won a 64 person tournament well into my premed years in the states. I think that's AMCAS worthy.

cobalt31 said:
I played one night of collegiate beer pong and won a 64 person tournament well into my premed years in the states. I think that's AMCAS worthy.

Definitely, I'm putting down that I am captain of the All-University Flip-Cup Champions. I just can't decide if I want to count it as volunteer or organization. Hmm.... :laugh:

Mine was just BEING HERE. I never thought I would get the chance to attend an American university, let alone a private school far away from home, so as you might imagine, I was ecstatic just being on campus. I still am :D . I went through a lot of crap to get to where I am, so the other stuff is secondary, I feel lucky just to be here.

I was asked this at one of my interviews, and I pretty much said "I have no idea." I was accepted anyway....

NCF145 said:
With the recent post on what was the one thing that you wish you had done during your undergrad years, I was wondering what everyone's best experience in undergrad actually was.

mine was studying abroad, Willy Week (gooooooooo OWLS), and now Spring Fling (well I am not an undergrad anymore though...but I did party with the undergrads here at Penn)

NCF145 said:

Outside of AMCAS-type activities, my best experience was a great silence on the top floor of a parking garage overlooking the coast while listening to Built to Spill.

Spring break in the Caribbean

Heimerfink said:
Spring break in the Caribbean
And appearing on "Girls Gone Wild - Pre-Med Series!" Yeah, who's with me!!!???

Members don't see this ad :)
happydays said:
And appearing on "Girls Gone Wild - Pre-Med Series!" Yeah, who's with me!!!???

I thought you were a dude? :confused:

p.s. that video would be, interesting.

crazy_cavalier said:
I thought you were a dude? :confused:

p.s. that video would be, interesting.
How did you come to conclude that?

Being a national director for a cultural organization

Walking around campus with my (then) boyfriend during the summer ... it was so sweet ...

Sitting around campus talking and laughing with friends ...

Admiring the snow covered buildings (the buildings in my school are quite old and are beautiful in the winter) ....

It sounds corny, but I really enjoy the simple things ... :)

Mine was doing research abroad in Australia.

- India
- Partying with Quentin Tarantino
- All our big house parties. Spainiesta, Kellypalooza, Matthew's Super Sweet 23, Katie's Deuce Deuce Danceathon, Drunkaoke, Hell Freezes Over: Kayla is 21, etc. Man I love my friends.
- Austin City Limits/Marleyfest/Eeyore's Birthday/pretty much all things Austin-y and weird.
- Getting my dog.

I get teary each time I talk about leaving my friends and Austin. I'm really excited for medschool, don't get me wrong, but man we have had some good times at UT.

Staying in on my Friday nights playing Scrabble on games.com

No, seriously though...

Playing drunk sardines with my friends.

ooh... so many things. Turning in my 60 page thesis that represented 2.5 years of work, finishing the Walk for Hunger, the blizzard of 2006, serving as community service president, senior awards night (not nearly as long or as boring as graduation itself), and Halloween in Salem. If I had to choose just one, I'd probably say the summer before senior year, when I got to research Malaria. I'd always wanted to research infectious diseases, and I got to fulfill that dream at a fantastic institution.

Spring break at South Beach immediately followed by a 7 Day booze cruise to the bahamas and then immediately followed by a 7 day ski-fest at Vail... most memorable month of my life.

All you seniors (and soon to be seniors out there) take the last 2 semesters to travel and have fun... you won't regret it!

riceman04 said:
mine was studying abroad, Willy Week (gooooooooo OWLS), and now Spring Fling (well I am not an undergrad anymore though...but I did party with the undergrads here at Penn)

I'm a bit jealous - I missed Fling, and I'm going to miss my Hey Day :( . On the other hand, I'm in London!! That's my favorite part - studying abroad. And getting a month and a half off between spring term and exams. I :love: England!

Anastasis said:
Watching A&M beat OU (back when OU was good). That game was amazing!

back when ou was good?
we still are, bud! ;)
just watch this year...

peterpansy said:
I'm a bit jealous - I missed Fling, and I'm going to miss my Hey Day :( . On the other hand, I'm in London!! That's my favorite part - studying abroad. And getting a month and a half off between spring term and exams. I :love: England!

I agree, England is awesome!
I studied there during my first semester of my senior year!!!

Fling here was pretty cool. It turned into a big mud pit on sat. b/c of all the rain. Ohhhh and the BBQ and Pat's was great!!!

I think OAR performed at the Friday night concert...I did not go though b/c I did not want to pay for it

Watching people throw a glow in the dark frisbee after having eaten some mushrooms and later laughing for hours because I thought my friend looked like and elf. Not recommend for those who value their brain....

I'm too indecisive to pick one favorite moment, so some random great experiences -->

- Toga and Miss H!
- Brown house weekends
- D.C. with Ben
- healthcare disparity research abroad
- dating my hot MS3 junior year ;)
- northern states roadtrip with the coolest guy ever aka Thomas

Igniting a propane bomb with my P-Chem professor. I was in a volunteer group of chemistry students that gave chem demonstrations to area middle and high schools, science day, chemistry day, campus family day, etc. We were staying late in the chemistry department practicing demos for science day later that week. It was about 11 p.m. and a few students and I wanted to mix propane and oxygen in the stoichiometric ratio in an empty 2 kg plastic reagent bottle. We jerry-rigged a fuse in the cap. Our advisor was a p-chem professor in the department. He found out what we were doing, and to our surprise, suggested we set it off outside between the science building and the fine arts building. Little did we realize that that area was essentially a bowl (the ground was bowl shaped, and the two buildings were concave, both interiors facing each other at about 30 yards apart. Echos galore.

We lit the fuse and all of us ran (prof, too) around the corner of the building. The BOOM was probably heard on the other side of the campus. I'm surprised we didn't shatter every window in both faces of the buildings! My p-chem professor said, "Umm, maybe we should pack up and get outta here before campus security shows up..."

Good times, good times.

On my Mayo phone interview, I got a question like "what was your best educational experience?" and I said "going to college".... No wonder I'm on the waitlist :p

But in answer to the OP's question:

Spending a summer in Africa- Not quite like the movies, but incredible all the same :D

medrad said:
Watching people throw a glow in the dark frisbee after having eaten some mushrooms and later laughing for hours because I thought my friend looked like and elf. Not recommend for those who value their brain....
Hmm...running around in the dark while throwing a UFO-looking-thing does not strike me as the best of plans for a psilocybin trip. :thumbdown:

Anastasis said:
Are you old enough to remember the game I'm talking about? Just curious.

I do, it was a victory for me too!

HOOK 'EM :)

Anastasis said:
Are you old enough to remember the game I'm talking about? Just curious.

umm i thought you were talking about the game 3 or 4 years back when mcneal got subbed in and dominated us completely. that wasn't that far back, i mean i am currently junior at OU. i assumed you weren't talking about anything before that...

Inspired by the movie "Van Wilder," my roomate and I bought a golf cart off ebay and drove it 2.5 miles each way from our apt. to class every morning during our last year of college. We adorned it with official looking "UCI" stickers and claimed we were from the "ecological survey." We just drove from class to class having fun speeding around campus and giving friends rides. Every Wednesday we would attach a barbeque to the back and have a cookout in the middle of the quad for 2 hrs in between classes; everyone would bring some food and we would throw it on the grill - someone would always bring tequilla for margaritas. It was all good. I miss our golf cart.

fewchewrmd said:
Inspired by the movie "Van Wilder," my roomate and I bought a golf cart off ebay and drove it 2.5 miles each way from our apt. to class every morning during our last year of college. We adorned it with official looking "UCI" stickers and claimed we were from the "ecological survey." We just drove from class to class having fun speeding around campus and giving friends rides. Every Wednesday we would attach a barbeque to the back and have a cookout in the middle of the quad for 2 hrs in between classes; everyone would bring some food and we would throw it on the grill - someone would always bring tequilla for margaritas. It was all good. I miss our golf cart.
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I applaud you and your crew. :thumbup: