Best upstate New York Surgery Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackdiamond

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the upstate NY programs (Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo?) in terms of competitiveness, prestige, fellowship opportunities, quality of training, resident morale. Though it many get cold and snowy, cost of living and housing affordability is excellent...but I just don't hear much about these programs. I interviewed at these programs and had trouble with my rank list because they really didn't give me enough info to separate one from another. Though I already matched, I'm trying to give advice to a few underclassmen who have expressed interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Rochester >>> Buffalo > Albany vs. Syracuse

Can you elaborate? All the programs are located in small, cold cities so location can't be a factor...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just fyi.....SUNY Upstate (syracuse) is on probation

blackdiamond, where did you match? Rochester?

Just fyi.....SUNY Upstate (syracuse) is on probation

The whole school or just the surgery program? What are they on probation for?

What about the others (Rochester), anyone know?

Yeah, just the surgery program is on probation. Can't say that I know of why though.

yeah, syracuse is on probation, but it's b/c residents didn't go to clinic (RRC requires one half day of clinic per week), some documentation issues,but nothing serious. Hank, I matched at Buffalo. I ranked Albany and Syracuse higher due to location (closer proximity to my fiancee) but I thought residents were happier and much more outgoing in Buffalo. Overall though, I did a poor job of obtaining info when I was at Albany and Syracuse (interviewed late in the season) and I don't know how good each program is compared to each other. Hence, without the location factor, it would have been a coin toss come rank list time.

I thought you matched at Rochester. Well Rochester is 3x better than Buffalo, according to Bovie9 who went to med school at Buffalo. But you will get good training regardless, I'm sure.

Hank, where did you match. I remember you saying you got 10 interviews or something.

Buffalo is a very good program- actually a "hidden gem" type program. I rotated as a medical student, and I have some good friends up there in the program. It is huge, with several different hospitals. All the divisions are pretty strong, and rotations include a stand alone children's hospital and NCI cancer center. I rotated on trauma surgery which is a very high volume service with a lot of both penetrating and blunt trauma. I also rotated on vascular at a smaller hospital- lots of good cases including AAAs, carotids, thoracic outlet, distal bypasses and a ton of endovascular cases done by vascular not IR. The attendings are great, but a drawback is the relative lack of academic attendings with international recognition. Dr. Dayton is the (relatively new) chairman, and a great addition to the program. I have a feeling that Dr. Dayton will seriously elevate the quality of the program from an academic standpoint. The drawback, of course is the weather. Buffalo is actually a neat city, but winter just seems to go on forever.

That being said, Rochester stands alone in upstate/western NY. In addition to being an excellent clinical center, Rochester has a very strong academic flavor, with a lot of good research. The faculty is very well known from an academic standpoint, and the program should really be considered a top tier program on the national level. The facilities are beautiful/modern with ample ancillary services. The drawback, again, is the area. Rochester is smaller than Buffalo. It has a more "white collar" feel, and compared to Buffalo probably a little bit less to do outside the hospital.

I can't really accurately speak of the "malignancy" of either program, but I didn't get the feeling that either program was malignant.

I do have to say that despite its (unsubstantiated) reputation for being one of the worst places to live, western NY is very affordable, family friendly, with plenty of culture, great food, etc. $500/month can get you a killer apartment, and buying is easy and affordable. I live in a small NYC studio for about 1000/month- I'd have a 3 bedroom apartment with fireplace, garage, several mistresses, full time masseuse, and BMW if I were still in Buffalo! If you can tolerate the cold WNY is actually a great place to live. A good number of "downstate/NYC" friends during medical school decided to stay in either Buffalo or Rochester for residency.

Anyway, I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.