Best way for a graduate to raise grades/ Post bacc and fall apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZCC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gotta question for all you ... what is the best way to raise my science grades... take CC classes in the spring and try and raise my science or start a Postbacc in the fall... reason im worried about post bacc is if I have to apply next fall what would be the poin tof a post bacc schools wont see my grades so then i would have to wait two years( one year after the post bacc)

Whats the best route

Members don't see this ad.

try to take the classes at a 4 year university, not a cc. at least that's what a couple deans have told me post-waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definately agree with taking the classes at a university. Otherwise it will look like you are trying to take the easy way out.

There are different options to raise GPA after college, you could do an informal post-bac program (do-it-yourself), a formal post-bac or an SMP (*special masters program).

The first 2 are undergrad courses while the last is a graduate program. The draw back of the SMP is that it does not change your Ugrad GPA but does show that you are able to perform at the med school level. So if you have a borderline GPA (or have a completely terrible GPA) SMPs are excellent options.
So an SMP can push you over the edge if you are close or can show that college was just a fun time and you are ready to work now.

In terms of timing, if you start a post-bac/SMP you would most likely be placed on 'hold' by the medical school until the first semester grades come in. So unless they flat-out reject you, they will see your grades.

A lot of programs have linkage while others have 'understandings' with certain med schools.

Hi ZCC. Find out if your school has an informal post-bac program like Instatewaiter said. My school has one called Science in the Evening - they offer a few science courses (twice a week from 6-9pm) and it works well if you work full-time. I would also advise against CC courses - it might be a little easier to get good grades, but doesn't look good in the end.

Gotta question for all you ... what is the best way to raise my science grades... take CC classes in the spring and try and raise my science or start a Postbacc in the fall... reason im worried about post bacc is if I have to apply next fall what would be the poin tof a post bacc schools wont see my grades so then i would have to wait two years( one year after the post bacc)

Whats the best route

Agree with the others (about the 4 year university vs cc). As for your last question, why do you have to apply next fall? This isn't a race. If you haven't made yourself competitive by next fall, then you don't apply until the following cycle. While it s#cks to miss a cycle, it s#cks more to apply before you are ready and end up losing another year AND a years worth of application costs, AND put yourself in the reapplicant pile.

Whats the best route

t