Best Way for a Nontrad to Prepare for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad and will be starting med school in the fall and have only taken the 8 core science prereqs. I know the typical advice (I used the search fxn) is that there is NO WAY to prepare ahead of time for what you will learn in medical school. But I also hear that people with no exposure to say biochem or anatomy are at a disadvantage. I have free time in the evenings and would love using it to get familiar with and/or memorize some stuff that will save time in the future, especially early on in like anatomy or biochem. Where would my time be best spent? Anatomy, biochem, histology, genetics, medical spanish??? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a non-trad and will be starting med school in the fall and have only taken the 8 core science prereqs. I know the typical advice (I used the search fxn) is that there is NO WAY to prepare ahead of time for what you will learn in medical school. But I also hear that people with no exposure to say biochem or anatomy are at a disadvantage. I have free time in the evenings and would love using it to get familiar with and/or memorize some stuff that will save time in the future, especially early on in like anatomy or biochem. Where would my time be best spent? Anatomy, biochem, histology, genetics, medical spanish??? Thanks.

I'm not in med school yet, but I think anatomy/physiology would probably help you the most.

None of things you suggested. The material isn't hard. It's the pace and volume. Nothing you try to learn this summer will really help that much. What you'll be struggling with is finding effective and EFFICIENT study routines that work for you as an individual. There's no way to learn that over the summer. You have to muddle through those first months of med school to figure that out.

The best things you can do for yourself are:

1)Get into a regular workout routine.
2)Learn to cook and eat healthy. Learn to use a crockpot.
3)Cultivate 1 or 2 stress relief hobbies.
4)Relax and enjoy yourself.

Really work on silencing that inner neurotic, cuz you'll burn-out by Christmas if you don't. There's a reason that your search function brought up the same answer so often. In this case, listen to the wisdom of the masses. Trust me, the ones dropping like flies aren't necessarily the people who only did the prereqs. They are more often people from science backgrounds who lack focus and discipline.

You'll be glad looking back that you actually enjoyed yourself and were refreshed when you started medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
None of things you suggested. The material isn't hard. It's the pace and volume. Nothing you try to learn this summer will really help that much. What you'll be struggling with is finding effective and EFFICIENT study routines that work for you as an individual. There's no way to learn that over the summer. You have to muddle through those first months of med school to figure that out.
I really appreciate your advice, thanks. I think there must be something I am not understanding though. If pace and volume are the issue, how can there not be things I can memorize now that will cut down the volume? I'm not saying I want to or could memorize all of Netter's or something like that. But wouldn't every little bit help? And do you agree that students without anatomy or biochem background struggle more during first year, or is that not the case in your experience? It seems like I am missing something, please help me understand. I guess I'm not getting what is so magical about sitting in med school lectures that I can't just get a head start. I am nowhere near neurotic and am not a gunner, I just have a very limited science background, a fair amount of free time, and want to set myself up for success. If there's no point, I'm fine with that, I just want to understand the rationale better. Thanks again.

I really appreciate your advice, thanks. I think there must be something I am not understanding though. If pace and volume are the issue, how can there not be things I can memorize now that will cut down the volume? I'm not saying I want to or could memorize all of Netter's or something like that. But wouldn't every little bit help? And do you agree that students without anatomy or biochem background struggle more during first year, or is that not the case in your experience? It seems like I am missing something, please help me understand. I guess I'm not getting what is so magical about sitting in med school lectures that I can't just get a head start. I am nowhere near neurotic and am not a gunner, I just have a very limited science background, a fair amount of free time, and want to set myself up for success. If there's no point, I'm fine with that, I just want to understand the rationale better. Thanks again.

From everything I've heard medical students say, I always advise NOT studying over the summer. But you claim to have a very limited science background, which is why I think A+P might help, just to give you a basic understanding of how the body works and a platform from which to learn in medical school.

He's saying that we'll have to learn how to study under the weight and strain of a real med school workload. And that is the skill. Minutia without the impetus of this or that definitive and impending deadline doesn't stick this far out.

There's nothing for us to do right now. Except to enjoy our last days of freedom.

I guess it's hard to explain. It's not that studying stuff will hurt or it won't help at all, it's just that it's such a LOW YIELD use of your time. (Trust me, I never used words like LOW YIELD or HIGH YIELD until I was a med student and you'll know what I mean after a few months) In the long run, the highest yield and long term benefit for you is to enjoy your summer. Do things for yourself as a human being. You will have plenty of time to do things for yourself as a med student later.
I know it sounds counterintuitive but in the long run you'll do better in M1 if you start refreshed and relaxed. Spending your nights thumbing through texts that you'll have to pour over hour after hour anyways seems like a wasted summer to me. At best, you're talking about taking a little edge off the first set of exams. If you take this summer to be good to yourself you'll likely reap the benefits of that all of next year.

Lol. I really am trying to advise what I think is best for you. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Seriously, have fun this summer. Enjoy yourself guilt-free. You're not screwing yourself over for school or anything. You will actually be doing yourself a favor as a person and a med student.

I guess it's hard to explain. It's not that studying stuff will hurt or it won't help at all, it's just that it's such a LOW YIELD use of your time. (Trust me, I never used words like LOW YIELD or HIGH YIELD until I was a med student and you'll know what I mean after a few months) In the long run, the highest yield and long term benefit for you is to enjoy your summer. Do things for yourself as a human being. You will have plenty of time to do things for yourself as a med student later.
I know it sounds counterintuitive but in the long run you'll do better in M1 if you start refreshed and relaxed. Spending your nights thumbing through texts that you'll have to pour over hour after hour anyways seems like a wasted summer to me. At best, you're talking about taking a little edge off the first set of exams. If you take this summer to be good to yourself you'll likely reap the benefits of that all of next year.

Lol. I really am trying to advise what I think is best for you. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. Seriously, have fun this summer. Enjoy yourself guilt-free. You're not screwing yourself over for school or anything. You will actually be doing yourself a favor as a person and a med student.

This is very similar advice I got from my M1 student host at one of my interviews. What he told me was that the material is not hard; what is is the flow of material (i.e. volume/unit time). We take a course like MCB over a 16-week semester, whereas they crank it out in 4-weeks. Basically, his advice to me is that you can spend an entire summer learning a subject that will only be of benefit for one 4-week subject out of the 4 or 5 you'll be taking at a time.

Fair enough. So it's like I did development work for a few years in India. Before going I spent a fair chunk of time trying to get a head start on Hindi. I found that once I was there immersed in it, I could have easily picked up my few months of language study in a couple weeks. Is that an accurate analogy? Thanks for taking the time to splane it to me.:thumbup: Thank god for the non-trad forum. I guess I'll go read some Nietzsche.

Honestly, I think studying before med school does help for the simple reason that familiarity helps so much with long term recall. While studying for boards, I've definitely found that biochem things I studied prior to med school are more familiar than those that I just learned for exams during first year. In some ways, I feel like Duke has it right with people taking boards after first year... it's really hard to remember normal physiology/biochem stuff you were taught ~18 months ago and didn't touch since then.

MS1 non-trad here, and I don't agree with all the others that say it doesn't help. The people here who have extensive experience in certain subjects study less for them and get better grades. It makes it a little easier to have some basic familiarity with the subjects. Best thing to do is get old materials/syllabi from current MS1s. Otherwise, get a First Aid for the Step 1 book, or other step 1 subject books and start perusing them. Nothing wrong with getting ready.

I'd like to start off making a distinction between advising someone about premed coursework and advising someone about how to best spend their summer before medical school.

Sure premed coursework or "extensive experience" helps. If the OP was a year or two from matriculating I'd say sure, go ahead and take biochem or physio or anatomy.

But the summer before medical school? Everyone has their own experience of things but I don't think many med students think to themselves "Gee, I really wish I had studied harder the summer before med school."

Thanks for all the feedback. For the sake of clarity, I'll begin whatever prep work I do now, which gives me about 5 months. With interviews completed (thankfully!), and since I am taking no classes, I have some more free time. Some MS-1's and MS-2's at the school I will likely attend have recommended memorizing certain anatomy portions, as the school has a traditional 6 week anatomy block at the start. If I were to also familiarize myself with Biochem, what 1 book would anyone here recommend? I looked at MIT open courseware but their biochem section looks a little... anemic. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the feedback. For the sake of clarity, I'll begin whatever prep work I do now, which gives me about 5 months. With interviews completed (thankfully!), and since I am taking no classes, I have some more free time. Some MS-1's and MS-2's at the school I will likely attend have recommended memorizing certain anatomy portions, as the school has a traditional 6 week anatomy block at the start. If I were to also familiarize myself with Biochem, what 1 book would anyone here recommend? I looked at MIT open courseware but their biochem section looks a little... anemic. Thanks again.

Lippincott's Illustrated Review - Biochemistry

Last edited:
Although, I'm not exactly in your boat (I have a bio degree), much of my science knowledge has escaped my mind over the years. My girlfriend, who is a second year medical student, made the following recommendations for me:
1) Review cell biology (it's good to have a basic background as an understanding is assumed).
2) Review anatomy and physiology books. At least become familiar with the names of anatomical parts (no need to memorize yet) and how the body functions.
3) Review biochemistry (I took a biochem course and, while I took it, I found amazing lectures on youtube given by Prof. S. Dasgupta at IIT Kharagpur (in India). These lectures supplemented my class well and I highly recommend them as a stand alone introduction to biochemistry).

No matter what, medical school is going to be hard, so these are steps if you have extra time. Be confident and enjoy your time off before medical school. I hope to be in your shoes and headed to medical school in the Fall of 2012.

How to prepare for medical school as a non-trad:

1. Go to a bar.
2. Find a guy who is much bigger, younger, and stronger than you.
3. Pick a fight with him. Lose.
4. Get up off the floor.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you can't get up again.

Start again at step 1 tomorrow.

Five months should be just enough time to get you in shape. ;)

The best things you can do for yourself are:

1)Get into a regular workout routine.
2)Learn to cook and eat healthy. Learn to use a crockpot.
3)Cultivate 1 or 2 stress relief hobbies.
4)Relax and enjoy yourself.

Really work on silencing that inner neurotic, cuz you'll burn-out by Christmas if you don't. There's a reason that your search function brought up the same answer so often. In this case, listen to the wisdom of the masses. Trust me, the ones dropping like flies aren't necessarily the people who only did the prereqs. They are more often people from science backgrounds who lack focus and discipline.

You'll be glad looking back that you actually enjoyed yourself and were refreshed when you started medical school.
I agree with this completely.

OP, there are many people who start med school having a limited bio background, including yours truly. They may be a little behind the curve for the first few weeks, but it doesn't take long before everyone is equally in over their heads. I know this advice flies in the face of the typical delayed gratification worldview that the typical premed (and med student!) lives and breathes, but it really is the best advice.

It's not just you who are in this position. I'm right now planning my fourth year med school rotations, and guess what? The residents are giving me the exact same advice to enjoy my last few months of med school that we med students are giving you.

My suggestions:
1) Spend time with your family, especially if you're married and/or have kids.
2) Hang out with your friends. Call people you haven't talked to in a while. Even go visit them if you can.
3) Go to all those local tourist attractions you always meant to go see but never did. Take road trips. Go abroad for a few weeks if you can afford it.
4) Read whatever books (non-medical!) you've been putting off while you were doing your premed stuff.
5) Don't listen to other people, especially your fellow premeds, who insist that if you don't spend all summer studying, then you're going to be at a huge disadvantage this August because you don't have enough bio background. You're not going to be at a huge disadvantage, because *no* premeds have enough bio background. If they did, they wouldn't have to go through the first two years of med school in the first place. Right?

Seriously, you've earned the right to rest on your laurels for a few months. Getting into med school is a big accomplishment, and now is the time to savor the moment. It won't be long before you are neck deep into wondering what the heck you were thinking when you decided it was a good idea to apply to med school. ;)

Congrats again, and best of luck next year. :)

OP, there are many people who start med school having a limited bio background, including yours truly. They may be a little behind the curve for the first few weeks, but it doesn't take long before everyone is equally in over their heads. I know this advice flies in the face of the typical delayed gratification worldview that the typical premed (and med student!) lives and breathes, but it really is the best advice.

It's not just you who are in this position. I'm right now planning my fourth year med school rotations, and guess what? The residents are giving me the exact same advice to enjoy my last few months of med school that we med students are giving you.

My suggestions:
2) Hang out with your friends. Call people you haven't talked to in a while. Even go visit them if you can.
3) Go to all those local tourist attractions you always meant to go see but never did. Take road trips. Go abroad for a few weeks if you can afford it.
4) Read whatever books (non-medical!) you've been putting off while you were doing your premed stuff.
5) Don't listen to other people, especially your fellow premeds, who insist that if you don't spend all summer studying, then you're going to be at a huge disadvantage this August because you don't have enough bio background. You're not going to be at a huge disadvantage, because *no* premeds have enough bio background. If they did, they wouldn't have to go through the first two years of med school in the first place. Right?

Seriously, you've earned the right to rest on your laurels for a few months. Getting into med school is a big accomplishment, and now is the time to savor the moment. It won't be long before you are neck deep into wondering what the heck you were thinking when you decided it was a good idea to apply to med school. ;)

Wow, well put QofQ and NTF...I just realized I have about 100 working days left of being a professional engineer. Kinda scary (at least, in Base-10). Love the advice.

My suggestions:

Thanks Q, your input carries a lot of weight. Your posts have helped me get to where I am today. Hopefully I won't be cursing you next year. ;)

For those of you who say, "Enjoy your freedom while it lasts."

or "get ready for hell, so make sure you are doing nothing before entering medical school."

Why are you putting yourself through all the torment, medicine doesn't get much easier. Seems like a rough career choice if you think medical school is so bad that you need 3 months (or 90 days) of rest before attempting it. I understand taking a week or two break after an exhausting schedule, but multiple months?

Human beings are best active and productive, IMHO.

Hitler. Stalin. Milli-Vanilli.

These are all very active and productive lads.

Though perhaps not the best....

...and "The Hoff". Can't nobody hold this cat down.

DontHasseltheHoffPic.jpg

That generally hasn't been the case in my experience as both a medical school professor and attending physician. The only "head start" that you can do is get your financial, logistical and physical "house" in order so that when you start medical school, you don't have extra things that get in the way of studying. If you are trying to work to pay credit card bills or take care of your family, then you potentially put your medical grades in jeopardy. A better strategy is to start putting aside money and getting your credit score/expenses as low as possible so that you can borrow extra (if you need it to take care of the family) rather than spend tuition dollars taking courses with the mistaken notion that you will somehow be better prepared for class.

There are few, if any, undergraduate courses in anatomy, biochemistry or physiology that come remotely close to what you have to be able to master for medical school. It's not difficult but being able to handle the volume is the key to these classes. Taking undergraduate courses in these classes will be pretty low yield in terms of making you more efficient in your study skills. Having plenty of time to get your work mastered in medical school WILL make a difference so get those "other" things in order so that you are not dealing with trying to keep a roof over your family's heads while your are trying to master dissection and gross anatomy.

For those of you who say, "Enjoy your freedom while it lasts."

or "get ready for hell, so make sure you are doing nothing before entering medical school."

Why are you putting yourself through all the torment, medicine doesn't get much easier. Seems like a rough career choice if you think medical school is so bad that you need 3 months (or 90 days) of rest before attempting it. I understand taking a week or two break after an exhausting schedule, but multiple months?

You're kind of missing the point. The point that some of us are trying to make is that studying during the summer before medical school while keeping you active, isn't very productive.

And for some of us being active and productive isn't confined just to medical school or our careers.

Last edited:
You're kind of missing the point. The point that some of us are trying to make is that studying during the summer before medical school while keeping you active, isn't very productive.

And for some of us being active and productive isn't confined just to medical school or our careers.

Oh yeah, agreed 100%. Active/productive can be anything. At the same time, if I were getting ready to go study music at an intense academy and loved the piano, I probably wouldn't avoid the piano for 6 months. That's just my personality, definitely don't think everyone needs to be like that.

There have been men and women who have studied very hard, take Albert Eienstein. Just because he would enter a tough program, I don't think you could have told him to not think about or touch physics for half a year. He enjoyed it.

But I digress. The poster asked about preparing for medical school, which it doesn't seem like you can do, while I'm talking about learning about the body as a life long endeavour.

Good luck to all. I believe the best strategy is to take advice from ALL with experience, and then come to your own conclusion based upon thinking and all the caveats mentioned here.

Wow, well put QofQ and NTF...I just realized I have about 100 working days left of being a professional engineer. Kinda scary (at least, in Base-10). Love the advice.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Realizing that I'll be waiting for the match this time next year makes me go :eek: :wow:

Thanks Q, your input carries a lot of weight. Your posts have helped me get to where I am today. Hopefully I won't be cursing you next year. ;)
I hope you won't be, either. :smuggrin:

All kidding aside, you will have some rough times when you doubt yourself; everyone does. But if you were accepted to medical school, then you *are* capable of making it through the program. Come back and read this paragraph over again a few times whenever you're thinking about cursing me. ;)

For those of you who say, "Enjoy your freedom while it lasts." or "get ready for hell, so make sure you are doing nothing before entering medical school." Why are you putting yourself through all the torment, medicine doesn't get much easier. Seems like a rough career choice if you think medical school is so bad that you need 3 months (or 90 days) of rest before attempting it. I understand taking a week or two break after an exhausting schedule, but multiple months?
You're making a false dichotomy between studying for med school and doing nothing. No one is saying that you should do "nothing before entering medical school." We're saying that you shouldn't *study* during that time thinking that you are giving yourself a leg up on doing well in your med school classes.

To go one step further than what NTF said, studying the summer before med school in order to prepare for med school is neither active nor productive. If you want to be active and productive, you're better off hitting the gym or the hiking trail. Hey, they don't call it the freshman 15 for nothing. ;)

I'll post for what my opinion is worth (which is the opinion of someone who hasn't even applied yet).

I won't argue passionately whether you should or shouldn't look at stuff because obviously I don't know. But if you do get a biochem book, I'll second Lippencotts illustrated review. I've never had biochem and it's well done and easy to understand in my opinion.

Also, I can see how trying to really memorize and learn and cram in all of the info like you're studying for an exam seems like it could be a waste. That said, I personally have gotten out of lots of classes and thought wow, I think i get it now, if I could go over that all again now I'd be really solid. It helps me to have heard of concepts and general outlines of info before. More relevant to math/physics/engr probably but still, I feel like having heard of what the heck a peptidoglycan or whatever is at some point before might help me speed over it the next time vs having to put everything together anew. Make sense? Again, can't comment with respect to M1 in particular.

You're making a false dichotomy between studying for med school and doing nothing. No one is saying that you should do "nothing before entering medical school." We're saying that you shouldn't *study* during that time thinking that you are giving yourself a leg up on doing well in your med school classes.

Agreed. I guess I was just saying that I might brush up on some physio. Not because I think it will help me score higher on a M1 physio test, but because I enjoy physio and will have some available time to study it.
:)

So...just to get this straight...

If I don't remember what the Kreb's Cycle is...I shouldn't bother opening a bio text between now and the start of my MS1 year?

I won't be at a disadvantage during the first few months?

Are there areas that it is assumed we know?

Beating the horse,
Conrad