Best way of turning down interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metview

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate to have been invited to a few schools. However, one school invited me but I wont have the time to interview there. Although, I wont be attending I don't want to sound like a dick. What is the most appropriate way to turn down an interview invite? Email the school or just don't do anything? I have not signed up for the interview yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait to get an acceptance before you turn down any interviews.

Sent from my phone.

Definitely try to schedule all of your interviews. If they fall on the same day, try rescheduling the lower priority one. If it interferes with work, try to get your boss to let you off. Med school admissions is a crapshoot and everyone needs to maximize their chance by going to all their interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been fortunate to have been invited to a few schools. However, one school invited me but I wont have the time to interview there. Although, I wont be attending I don't want to sound like a dick. What is the most appropriate way to turn down an interview invite? Email the school or just don't do anything? I have not signed up for the interview yet.

Do the professional thing and email the school.

Email.

Recently I was offered an interview at [insert school name here]. I scheduled my interview for [date scheduled if scheduled] Sadly, due to some unforeseen extenuating circumstances, I will not be able to attend the interview and regrettably must withdraw my application for admission. I both apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for the opportunity.

Uh the post above is a little over the top. Just email them and say you aren't going to be attending the interview but thanks for the invite. Nobody cares why you're canceling unless you're trying to reschedule or you cancel like the day before.

Uh the post above is a little over the top. Just email them and say you aren't going to be attending the interview but thanks for the invite. Nobody cares why you're canceling unless you're trying to reschedule or you cancel like the day before.

Personal preference. Giving no reason for cancelling is equivalent to not notifying at all in my mind. The 'thanks but no thanks' route leaves the reader wondering why the hell apply in the first place then?

The reader doesn't care. The app quickly goes in the trash and they move on to the next.

Then why email at all? Don't show up and it'll quickly go in the trash too lol

Like I said: all in personal preference. Go with what suits you best, OP.

Because that's actually unprofessional...if you're not gonna show up somewhere at least have the balls to tell them you're not showing up. It's a pain in the ass for everyone when interviewees are no-shows as people have blocked off time specifically to interview people.

Because that's actually unprofessional...if you're not gonna show up somewhere at least have the balls to tell them you're not showing up. It's a pain in the ass for everyone when interviewees are no-shows as people have blocked off time specifically to interview people.

You do realize you are arguing with the smartest man in the world, right? Reconsider your position.

In all seriousness, I would go with Adrian's suggestion. It's true that they don't care much about a given applicant pre-interview, but in that case what do you have to lose by (slightly) overdoing it? Better to be overly courteous than to be rude.

That being said, I hope you are 100% sure about your decision. It's risky turning down an interview.

You do realize you are arguing with the smartest man in the world, right? Reconsider your position.

In all seriousness, I would go with Adrian's suggestion. It's true that they don't care much about a given applicant pre-interview, but in that case what do you have to lose by (slightly) overdoing it? Better to be overly courteous than to be rude.

That being said, I hope you are 100% sure about your decision. It's risky turning down an interview.

I love you.

Because schools can only interview so many people. The whole point of the initial application is for schools to see who they think would be a good fit and who they think deserves an interview. There are a limited number of interviewers and a limited number of slots. If you don't tell them you're not going, then you're being rude and probably screwing someone else over who could have had a chance.

The reader doesn't care. The app quickly goes in the trash and they move on to the next.

Agreed. Just email and thank them for the interview but tell them you would like to withdraw your application. Just be polite and professional and these things are pretty uneventful.