Best way to attack LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDS4tehwin

Mr. Dumbluck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now, I have plenty of sources which I may attain a LOR, but which of the following combination would be most benefical? In Texas, there is a max of 4, with 2 science teachers and 1 dentist required. So which of the following would look the most impressive?

1) Microbiology Prof.
2) Immunology Prof.
3) Dentist 1 (ranked high in dental politics)
4) Dentist 2 (ranked #2 in dental politics behind the guy listed above)

or

1) Microbiology Prof
2) Biochem Prof
3) Dentist 1/2 (see above)
4) LOR from work (assistant manager)

or

1) Immunology Prof
2) Biochem Prof
3) Dentist 1/2 (see above)
4) LOR from work (assistant manager)

or

some other combo not listed, but with the minimum requirements.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not about what looks impressive as oppose to how well a particular prof/dentist knows you. Go with the people who know you best.

Would you rather get a one paragraph LOR from a prof/dentist from Harvard that doesn't know you as well or a multi-paragraph indepth LOR from a prof/dentist from the University of *yawn* who knows you very well?

However, from that list of yours (assuming these people know you well), I would select option 3 because it spreads across your experience more so than the others.

I went through my Health Professions Office and submitted 5 letters. The committee wrote a cover letter on my behalf and submitted the entire file of letters to the schools I applied to in Texas and out of state. If your University has a Health Professions Committee, I would go that route.

Letters I submitted:
Biology professor
Chemistry professor
English professor
Advisor of campus organization
General dentist

I went through my Health Professions Office and submitted 5 letters. The committee wrote a cover letter on my behalf and submitted the entire file of letters to the schools I applied to in Texas and out of state. If your University has a Health Professions Committee, I would go that route.

Letters I submitted:
Biology professor
Chemistry professor
English professor
Advisor of campus organization
General dentist
I did the same as toothfairy. The HPO at UT said that the 5th letter better be a really good one if you include it, and I felt like I needed to. I had the problem of having few recent profs to get letters from, but I was really careful to pick the smaller classes with profs that knew me by name because I went to office hours and asked questions. The prof I used from 7 years ago at A&M I picked because I knew he would take it seriously and respect my credentials whether he remembered me or not. It seemed to make a difference and several of my interviewers commented about the quality of my letters because the people really knew me.

1. Psych prof from A&M (my major and my undergrad university)
2. Genetics prof (UT)
3. Microbiology prof (community college)
4. Dentist with connections whom I shadowed
5. Dentist - my boss

Honestly, I don't think they want letters from people that aren't related to your academic or dental experience. Ask your health professions advisor about your boss and check what TMDSAS says. Good luck! Letters are stressful! ;)