Best way to brush up on calculus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foreverLaur

MSN, RN, CNE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Calc I during my senior year of high school at a local university. It transferred to where I went to college after I graduated high school and everything was great. However, I transferred to a quarter school and got credit for all of their Calc I and half of their Calc II. As a result, I have to take Calc II (it is half of my calc I and some of calc II essentially).

Anyways, it is required to get a BS, which I want, and I am a bit worried. I haven't done calculus in 3 years and didn't learn it much to start with because I used a TI-89 calculator which does calculus for you. We aren't allowed to use those at my new university so I am going to be forced to do it by hand.

They haven't assigned textbooks or professors for fall yet, but I'd like to brush up on my calculus before I start the course so I am not struggling. Most everyone else in the class took Calc I over the summer or last spring.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Y'know, you'll be surprised by how much material will come back to you. Since you're skipping part of a course, you're right that you might be rushed to familiarize yourself with the material again. One thing you can do is look at the text from your past courses if you still have it. Look up directions for how to use your calculator again too! You can start doing problems online as well. I'm sure that there are some course websites out there with free problem sets.

To be honest, I think you'll be fine though! At least you've seen the material already. If you still have them, flip through your old notes. And if you're still stuck later on, at least it's easy to do extra questions in Calc and Calc professors are typically pretty helpful.

Good luck!

Get the book Calculus for Dummies. It's good. Get a TI-83+ calculator (I don't think I've ever seen that one banned). Get a USB cable. Go to www.ticalc.org and download calculus programs. Install. Pass.