Best way to build Step 1 foundations in MS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides doing as well as possible in my classes, is there something I can do starting in MS1 that will maximize my chances of killing the USMLE Step 1?

Some people have recommended doing Firecracker from day 1. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly the most important thing is probably building good study and lifestyle habits for when **** hits the fan as an M2. Optimize your exercise, cooking, studying, and sleep, and figure out good, time-efficient hobbies to relieve stress.

As for firecracker you're going to get a bunch of responses that say it's either totally awesome or completely worthless. Do the free trial and see what you think.

Reactions: 2 users
Just do well in classes. Learn concepts as well as you can. Don't try to kill yourself spending extra time studying for step. If you have extra time, spend it doing things you enjoy, or do research. Seriously. You will come to find that half the little **** you learn, you will not retain. Thus, trying to do extra to study for step this early will do nothing for you except waste your time. Thus, focus on classes, learn CONCEPTS extremely well, because CONCEPTS are what you will retain and what will help you the most as your foundation of medical knowledge. If you have extra time, that's gravy. Ya feel me?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Learn physiology really really really well as everything links to this. as much as possible try not to memorize and instead understand the why/concepts. If all the info you know is a tree, make sure you know the trunk, how the branches connect, and then and only then worry about adding on the leaves (the details). unfortunately sometimes you're only taught the leaves, but spending the time to construct the tree is super important cuz the leaves won't stay on a tree that doesnt exist (ie the details wont stick with you without an understanding of the underlying concepts and big picture)
^this is mostly what I wish I would have done differently M1 year!

Reactions: 6 users
Learn physiology really really really well as everything links to this. as much as possible try not to memorize and instead understand the why/concepts. If all the info you know is a tree, make sure you know the trunk, how the branches connect, and then and only then worry about adding on the leaves (the details). unfortunately sometimes you're only taught the leaves, but spending the time to construct the tree is super important cuz the leaves won't stay on a tree that doesnt exist (ie the details wont stick with you without an understanding of the underlying concepts and big picture)
^this is mostly what I wish I would have done differently M1 year!

Sounds like great advice; thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Besides doing as well as possible in my classes, is there something I can do starting in MS1 that will maximize my chances of killing the USMLE Step 1?

Some people have recommended doing Firecracker from day 1. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Firecracker is hit or miss. Try it and see if you like it. If you can commit to ANKI, that may be worth it! It's similar, but makes you memorize all First AID.
Stay away from QBanks because the questions are often integrated so you'll be wasting lots of time.