Best Way to Cancel Interview and Withdraw Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Woodstock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just found out that I got accepted to one of my top choices. I have two interviews next week at schools that I really like but that I probably wouldn't end up going to because they are too far from home. I was wondering what the best way of cancelling interviews/withdrawing applications is. Email? Letter? Phone call? I feel badly and am not sure what to say either because I appreciate the opportunity to interview at those schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Woodstock said:
Hello everyone. I just found out that I got accepted to one of my top choices. I have two interviews next week at schools that I really like but that I probably wouldn't end up going to because they are too far from home. I was wondering what the best way of cancelling interviews/withdrawing applications is. Email? Letter? Phone call? I feel badly and am not sure what to say either because I appreciate the opportunity to interview at those schools.

You do not have to feel bad. These schools get tons of applications and are happy to have a way to weed people out that does not include rejection. I just write a simple email: I am writing to cancel my interview and to withdraw from _____ school of medicine. I very much appreciate the time and energy that has been devoted to reviewing my application. Thanks very much and good luck in the selection process this year.

and Congrats!!!!

Phone call. That way the folks on the list behind you get bumped up. Then send a thank you letter. Overkill amybe, but good manners are rare these days

Don't feel bad. These kind of things happen. Besides if you cancel you interview and withdraw your application many SDNers will thank you! :smuggrin: