1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Best way to get an interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bioteach, Apr 13, 2007.

1. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is my first post in this forum. I am applying for the 2008 cycle and I am a non-trad. I have a master's degree and have been teaching biology at the community college level for the past few years.

My problem: I have a low undergrad gpa and science gpa - 3.03 (yes, that low!) and anticipate an MCAT in the low 30's - haven't gotten my score back yet, so that is still in the air.... So the MCAT should be okay but not out of this world. (If it weren't for orgo, my bio section would be a 15!)

I plan on applying widely. I have lots of life experience, I teach bio and A&P at the college level, have a 3.9 gpa for my master's degree, lots of volunteering (both medical and otherwise). I feel that if I can just get an interview, I have a very solid chance of getting in. I just worry that my app will be thrown in the trash based on my crappy undergrad numbers alone. Its been 8 years since I graduated...but my teenage mistakes are still my biggest stumbling block.

Any opinions or educated guesses...??..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Darkshooter326

Darkshooter326 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The only thing you as an applicant can control is when you apply and when you are complete. So apply early, June or July, and hopefully that puts you at somewhat of an advantage. Also, sending letters of update after a few weeks may help to show continued interest in schools.

4. happy snake

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Your UG GPA won't matter in light of the 3.9 GPA you gave in your Master's. Your MCAT score will matter. Your teaching, life experiences, volunteering, will matter in a positive way. Forget the UG GPA. Relax, you will do fine. :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, what was your Master's in?

5. koennen

koennen Lend Me An Ear
    10+ Year Member

Your undergraduate GPA is going to be a problem - even with the high Master's GPA - and even if you score low 30s on the MCAT. Plan on writing a killer personal statement and apply broadly and early. I can't stress that enough - APPLY EARLY. Assuming a score in the low 30s (or even the high 20s for that matter), you would have a good shot a DO school. Good luck!

P.S. There is a non-traditional forum on SDN. You may want to post there to get some feedback from other non-trads.

6. koennen

koennen Lend Me An Ear
    10+ Year Member

Totally false. Your undergraduate GPA matters ... a lot. If your master's is in a rigorous science discipline, it may offset the undergrad GPA somewhat. But undergrad GPA always matters.

7. Mr. Belding

Mr. Belding The Dude abides
    7+ Year Member

This is a common sentiment, just so you know... many people with some red flags (I'm a low gpa guy too) seems to think (again, me included) that they will be able to distinguish themselves at the interview. I, for one, thought that many people interviewing would be less outgoing, socially-apt, etc...

They weed all that out before the interview... most people being interviewed are not "indoor kids". You've got an uphill battle buddy, but it can be done. Just don't take anything for granted when you get to the interview stage. Prepare your a$$ off.

Good luck.

8. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    apply early and broadly, killer PS (get lots of outside input, rewrite it a ton) and I think you have some hope of a few interviews. I had a 3.1 science GPA, a 3.4 overall and a 32 MCAT and I got 4 interviews, 3 acceptances and a waitlist, and I don't have your rocking masters on top of that.

9. remo

remo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you have an upward trend in your UG gpa? Have you taken any UG post-bac classes recently? If not, then you might have a problem with MD schools. Unfortunately, the masters gpa doesn't count very much.

10. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    although i cant track down a citation, i definitely remember reading that there was a direct correlation between number of interviews and size of bribes,
    good luck

11. bioteach

bioteach MSIV
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks everyone.

I am not assuming that I'm a better interviewer than anyone else, just that if anything is going to help me get in, that will. Its my strong point. I wasn't sure if they still bothered to read my PS with a 3.0 Ugpa at many places.

So, apply early and have a kick-ass PS.... I'll work on that.

Oh, to the poster that asked, my MS is in biology, I went the traditional, write-a-thesis route.

I don't expect to get into a top-tier school, but an MD or DO program in the US is my goal.

12. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Check out this post:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5010818&postcount=10

EDIT: I just saw that you posted on that thread already. Seems like you have your answer already.