Best way to get clinical experience and job shadow experience?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

aznleo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey,

I was wondering what's the best ways to get experience in these areas. How have you guys done it? I've seen suggestions to become a phlebotomist and such, but I don't have the time to take the classes for that, as I work full-time and school part-time and plan to apply to MS next year. What's the best combination of work that best givees you an idea of being in health care and looks best on admissions? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

C

Critical Mass

What looks best to adcoms? a good MCAT score Second best? a good MCAT score Next? Good grades

Definitely get some patient contact and/or clinical experience, but it isn't the most important thing. Talk to your family doc or your classmates to see what they're up to. Also ask your advisor and your local student health center.

About the Ads

noshie

Don't judge!
10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
2 words, "Physician Scribe." BEST JOB EVER, you get paid by docs to follow them around, do all of the patient workups and write scripts. Its like getting paid to shadow. AWESOME!!!

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
2 words, "Physician Scribe." BEST JOB EVER, you get paid by docs to follow them around, do all of the patient workups and write scripts. Its like getting paid to shadow. AWESOME!!!
::sigh:: Rub it in why don't you! I had a local hospital that had a scribe program; they cut it 2 months before I was ready to join. And to Critical Mass; it IS the most important thing to at least my state school. Every other school I've interviewed at has been completely ok with my limited clinical experience...but my state school flat-out rejected me last year citing a need for more clinical exposure, and I have a feeling what I've done still won't be enough for them. Good MCAT, great GPA....it just doesn't matter to these people. Thus my advice; do absolutely EVERYTHING you can to get as much clinical exposure as possible. Certainly don't get let your grades suffer for it, but keep in mind that by the time you get to your interviews they already know all about your grades and your academic history. What they'll want to talk about are your experiences and motivations for becoming a physician, and they'll be unlikely to believe that you understand what it's like unless you've had plenty of clinical exposure.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.