Best way to get clinical experience and job shadow experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznleo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering what's the best ways to get experience in these areas. How have you guys done it? I've seen suggestions to become a phlebotomist and such, but I don't have the time to take the classes for that, as I work full-time and school part-time and plan to apply to MS next year. What's the best combination of work that best givees you an idea of being in health care and looks best on admissions? Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

What looks best to adcoms? a good MCAT score Second best? a good MCAT score Next? Good grades

Definitely get some patient contact and/or clinical experience, but it isn't the most important thing. Talk to your family doc or your classmates to see what they're up to. Also ask your advisor and your local student health center.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 words, "Physician Scribe." BEST JOB EVER, you get paid by docs to follow them around, do all of the patient workups and write scripts. Its like getting paid to shadow. AWESOME!!!

2 words, "Physician Scribe." BEST JOB EVER, you get paid by docs to follow them around, do all of the patient workups and write scripts. Its like getting paid to shadow. AWESOME!!!
::sigh:: Rub it in why don't you! I had a local hospital that had a scribe program; they cut it 2 months before I was ready to join. And to Critical Mass; it IS the most important thing to at least my state school. Every other school I've interviewed at has been completely ok with my limited clinical experience...but my state school flat-out rejected me last year citing a need for more clinical exposure, and I have a feeling what I've done still won't be enough for them. Good MCAT, great GPA....it just doesn't matter to these people. Thus my advice; do absolutely EVERYTHING you can to get as much clinical exposure as possible. Certainly don't get let your grades suffer for it, but keep in mind that by the time you get to your interviews they already know all about your grades and your academic history. What they'll want to talk about are your experiences and motivations for becoming a physician, and they'll be unlikely to believe that you understand what it's like unless you've had plenty of clinical exposure.