Best way to get clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureFACS

Pre-Med
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im sure this gets tossed around a lot, but I figured id ask anyways. What is the quickest way to get some clinical experience? Besides shadowing my GP I dont have any.

As far as I know my options are:
-Become a scribe
Pros: Earn some cash
Cons: May not work w/ my school schedule
-Find random doctors to shadow
Pros: Might be able to shadow some cool specialties
Cons: Probably difficult due to lack of connections
-Volunteer in ER
Pros: Might see some cool stuff, probably would have flexible hours
Cons: How do I do this? Some hospital volunteering I have seen just offers placement in the gift shop
-Become a medical assistant
Pros: Earn some money, very hands on w/patients
Cons: Hard to fit in my school schedule, need an EMT-B??
-Become an EMT/CNA
Pros: Very hands on
Cons: Time consuming to get certified (I will eventually, but I want some clinical experience this spring)

Are there any other options out there?
What is a quick way to get clinical experience?
Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing is rarely clinical experience.

For you I think volunteering is your best bet. I did scribing.

Edit: I also think part time scribing would be fine for you. It's not as demanding as they'll try to make it out to be.

Last edited:
Some hospitals have programs specifically for pre-medical/PA/Nursing college students. Talk to students that work at local hospitals to see what kind of experiences you will get. Granted, volunteering at a hospital, you will always have to do work that isn't glamorous like restocking, cleaning beds, etc. I volunteered at a hospital in the city where I went to college. There were many long, boring shifts, but I did get to shadow a number of sugeries in the OR and see tons of cool things in other hospital departments. In the end, the numerous interesting medical cases I saw definitely outweighed all the grunt work I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can 100% recommend scribing for excellent clinical experience. I wouldn't be overly concerned with it potentially not working with your schedule. Most scribes have fairly limited availability, and that's generally accepted at most hospitals. The initial training is fairly rigorous and a bit less flexible but once you're through that (about 1 month or so) you'll typically only be expected to work 2 shifts per week at hours of your choosing.

Hospitals aren't the only type of medical facility where you can volunteer and gain active experience working with patients. Also consider hospice, rehab facilities, skilled-level nursing homes, residential Alzheimers unit, physical therapy office, and clinics (free-, low-income, VA, family-planning, private), etc.

Shadowing is a passive clinical experience where all you do is observe physican-patient interaction. To have an application that appeals to the broadest number of med schools, it's a good idea to have this too. It is listed separately on the application.

Reactions: 1 users
Scribing is a good way to go. Sometimes being a "sitter" isn't all that bad for patients in the hospital.

Best way to get clinical experience... smell the patients??? :p

Becoming an EMT isn't all that time consuming. It's just a one semester class (mine was condensed into about 3 months). Also, some volunteer squads allow uncertified people to have a role in care. My squad lets uncertified members take patient vitals and help out with the transport (you just can't do stuff like finger stick glucometers). You're even considered a full crew member.