Best way to get to NYU from La Guardia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have interviewed at NYU or are familiar with the area, whats the best way to get to NYU from LaGuardia?

Members don't see this ad.

take a cab, it'll set you back $18-20 but it takes 20 minutes rather than an hour and a half by taking the bus system ($4).

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by felipe5
For those of you that have interviewed at NYU or are familiar with the area, whats the best way to get to NYU from LaGuardia?

Take the NYC airport bus service:
http://www.nyairportservice.com/lga_manhattan.html

It's about 10 dollars and they will drop you off at Grand Central.
Now at Grand Central, get in the subway station and take the Number 6 train downtown to 28th street. WHen you get out, you'll be at 28th street and park avenue. Now, walk to 1st avenue. The school will be around there - you can't miss it - it's got that NYU purple logo on it w/ the words NYU MEDICAL CENTER

Originally posted by ramster
take a cab, it'll set you back $18-20 but it takes 20 minutes rather than an hour and a half by taking the bus system ($4).

20 bucks to NYU? No way, they will charge you 30 bucks from la guardia to NYU.

If this is your first time in NYC, I'd highly recommend just cabbing it. It's going to expensive (~30 bucks w/bridge toll included), but it's hella better than risking losing yourself in the expansive New York subway system.

TF

Originally posted by TheFlash
If this is your first time in NYC, I'd highly recommend just cabbing it. It's going to expensive (~30 bucks w/bridge toll included), but it's hella better than risking losing yourself in the expansive New York subway system.

TF

If you are feeling adventurous, I can tell you how to get to NYU for 2 dollars from the airport . It will require you taking a public bus from the airport, walking a few blocks to the subway station and then in the subway station, making a connection to the 6 train =).

Originally posted by Kashue
If you are feeling adventurous, I can tell you how to get to NYU for 2 dollars from the airport . It will require you taking a public bus from the airport, walking a few blocks to the subway station and then in the subway station, making a connection to the 6 train =).

M60 to Lexington Ave and 125th, 5 train to grand central, 6 train to 28th or 33rd. If you want to Xfer from bus to train, you'll need a metrocard, since the transfer they give you on the bus is only good on other buses, not on the train. And it's not worth paying $4 for something that'll take up to 90 minutes.

Love ya' Kashue...keepin' it real in Da' Bronx.

Y buena suerte at NYU, Papi Felipe.

The M60 is so easy. I took it from La Guardia no problem. It's very cheap too! Much better than a cab.

I highly recommend cabbing it if you aren't familiar with NYC. Once you live here and get used to it, it seems so easy, but I remember when I was new here.

It can get confusing and you dont' want this stress on your interview day/trip. Just suck it up and take a cab. It cost more money but you will get there safe and sound and relatively stress free. You can always try and figure the subway out later.

Applying to med schools is expensive enough. Take the damn bus. Go outside the airport and wait on the bus stop. Ask anyone standing there if they know which bus goes to 74th and Roosevelt- Or just ask the driver of the frist bus that pulls up. Take that to 74th and roosevelt, enter the train station and take the E train to 53rd street and Lexington Ave. Transfer to the downtown 6 to 28th street.

Screw the bus it takes way too long. As much money as the interview process costs spending an extra 25 bucks on the cab to NYU is a drop in the bucket. I ended up taking the cab every time I interviewed in NYC just for the convenience factor.

Once you walk out of the airport, walk towards the lines for the yellow cabs. Just cab it! If you're a newby, it's not worth the hassle. You should feel refreshed and anxiety-free for interviews. ~$25 plus tip is worth it. Most of the time, they will take you to the TriBoro Bridge (depends on the time) and your cab driver will put out his hand because you have to pay for the toll. $3.50 or $4 maybe? Or you can request to take the Queenborough (aka 59th St) bridge and there is no toll for that. But, you run the risk of getting into traffic during peak time.

Make sure you give the cab driver a cross street, 32nd and 1st Ave. Most of the time, they will know and they should know anyway.

Only tip - just hail your arm and wave to get a cab with lit numbers above the car. Unlit cabs means they are taken.

You guys all ROCK

Thanks for your tips and advice..........alas, I think I will have to mute my frugal-college-mindset and pay the extra money for the cab. The convenience factor should pay off at the end.

Muchisimas Gracias a todos,

felipe

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D