Best way to get to Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluntman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to get to Yale if you're flying in?

I can't really find any flights into the New Haven airport cause I'm guessing it's tiny, so that leaves me with Bradley, or one of the NYC airports. Anyone know the logistics (company/price/schedule) of shuttles going from Bradley to New Haven/Yale?

Members don't see this ad.

I flew into New York, then drove to New Haven. If you can rent a car, I would recommend it. But my real reason was because I couldn't find a flight into Bradley at a time that worked with my schedule.

I rented a car...

Members don't see this ad :)
SeattlePostBach said:
I rented a car...
Are there rental companies that'll rent to people under the age of 25?

enterprise rents to people under 25. Also, if you fly into bradley another option is taking CT limo (it's actually a bus) to new haven. But I heard it's very unreliable. Also, the roundtrip price for that is about $100, which to me, is worth just getting a ticket straight to new haven even though it costs a bit more, but it saves you all this hassle.

Bluntman said:
What is the best way to get to Yale if you're flying in?

I can't really find any flights into the New Haven airport cause I'm guessing it's tiny, so that leaves me with Bradley, or one of the NYC airports. Anyone know the logistics (company/price/schedule) of shuttles going from Bradley to New Haven/Yale?

As a Yale undergrad I can help you out. You want to fly into Bradley and take Connecticut Limo (it's a shuttle, not a limo). Use this website: http://ctlimo.com/. You want to go to Phelps gate. You could theoretically click on the Yale button on the website and get a discount. The link says you need an ID but they've never checked my ID before.

Good luck.

waterlily said:
enterprise rents to people under 25. Also, if you fly into bradley another option is taking CT limo (it's actually a bus) to new haven. But I heard it's very unreliable. Also, the roundtrip price for that is about $100, which to me, is worth just getting a ticket straight to new haven even though it costs a bit more, but it saves you all this hassle.

i second the bit on CT limo. most awful experience of my life -- it took me 5 hours to get from hartford to new haven via ct limo.

It's $50 round trip if you click on the Yale link. Once you arrive at the airport you just call the company on the phone in the airport to confirm your reservation. It runs every hour but as the other posters say it can be a bit unreliable in terms of actual pickup time. But once you get on it's only an hour bus ride.

I think US airways is the only airline that flys to tweed airport (in New Haven).

Thanks for the help guys!

Now my only problem seems to be finding a flight back to Cali - the latest I can find only leaves at 5:30 pm! I guess I'll give Yale a call and see if I can kiss someone's ass to get all my interviews done early enough to make that flight.

Godamn I'm going to be upset if I have to spend an extra night and miss another day of work for nothing! :(

macadamianut said:
It's $50 round trip if you click on the Yale link. Once you arrive at the airport you just call the company on the phone in the airport to confirm your reservation. It runs every hour but as the other posters say it can be a bit unreliable in terms of actual pickup time. But once you get on it's only an hour bus ride.

I think US airways is the only airline that flys to tweed airport (in New Haven).

Basically to go to New Haven, you fly to Philly (PHL) and change for a US Airways flight to New Haven (HVN). Generally, flights to Hartford (BDL) are cheaper and often non-stop from more destinations (if you usually use Travelocity or one of the other search engines, be sure to check Southwestern's website as well -- it offers some good deals to Hartford) but factoring the 1 hour ground transport time and in unreliable nature of Connecticut Limo, it's your call, time vs. money

Another option: if you fly in to New York City and get yourself to Grand Central, you can take the Metro North railroad http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/ to New Haven - the railroad station in New Haven is pretty close to Yale, so then you could just take a cab.

Hey Bluntman,

I've done the San Diego - Yale trip a couple of times, so my advice is to fly to JFK and take the shuttle to the Yale campus. Reserve it ahead of time at http://www.2theairport.com/pages/university.htm. $40 each way, so its not cheap, but you can find some great prices (I'm talking $200 roundtrip if you look hard) from San Diego to New York that offsets the shuttle cost. Good luck, and congrats on the Yale invite!

Keep in mind, it is a 2 hour train ride from New York to New Haven. Metro-North is reliable and departs from Grand Central Terminal, not far from the bus service drop-off point from the airports (Park Avenue immediately south of Grand Central). Amtrak departs from Penn Station, on the West Side of Manhattan, for New Haven. It is notorious for being late although its trains are a bit more plush than the Metro-North commuter trains.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Hey Bluntman,

I've done the San Diego - Yale trip a couple of times, so my advice is to fly to JFK and take the shuttle to the Yale campus. Reserve it ahead of time at http://www.2theairport.com/pages/university.htm. $40 each way, so its not cheap, but you can find some great prices (I'm talking $200 roundtrip if you look hard) from San Diego to New York that offsets the shuttle cost. Good luck, and congrats on the Yale invite!
Cool...how long does the New York - New Haven drive usually take with the shuttle?

edit: n/m...the other linked thread has the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.