Best way to go about studying MCAT Content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MCATSTUDYY

Doing practice tests under real conditions is part of MCAT prep but in terms of working up on MCAT content is it best to study all from AAMC What's on the MCAT Exam which has list of topics one needs to focus on. Utilize books and KA for those topics. Or is it best to say study from example MCAT books like MCAT Psychology and Sociology Review 2nd edition finishing up say a chapter a week and learning content thought that way? Also what think of studying 2 hours a day for 9 months vs studying 2-3 months 8 hours a day?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
is it best to study all from AAMC What's on the MCAT Exam which has list of topics one needs to focus on

Yes. Study with that list open. That way you won't miss anything, and will avoid studying anything that's not on the test.

Most people will find studying for 2-4 months easiest. That way, you won't forget as much material. If you study over 9 months you'll start to forget what you learned at the beginning...but you have to decide what works for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Study with that list open. That way you won't miss anything, and will avoid studying anything that's not on the test.

Most people will find studying for 2-4 months easiest. That way, you won't forget as much material. If you study over 9 months you'll start to forget what you learned at the beginning...but you have to decide what works for you.
This. I wish I would've been studying with the AAMC book open the whole time but started recently a few weeks later than I should've.
Doing practice tests under real conditions is part of MCAT prep but in terms of working up on MCAT content is it best to study all from AAMC What's on the MCAT Exam which has list of topics one needs to focus on. Utilize books and KA for those topics. Or is it best to say study from example MCAT books like MCAT Psychology and Sociology Review 2nd edition finishing up say a chapter a week and learning content thought that way? Also what think of studying 2 hours a day for 9 months vs studying 2-3 months 8 hours a day?
9 months is way too long, 5 or 6 months should be the absolute max assuming you have other stuff (work or obligations) going on.

A chapter a week seems like nothing at all, especially Kaplan chapters which are only around 20 to 30 pages a chapter. I've been doing 5 or 6 (Kaplan) chapters a day and I find that to be a bit much, I wouldn't recommend it though as I'm just trying to make up for lost time. I would recommend 4 or so a day since that should take about 6 or 7 hours if you go through it thoroughly and are taking notes on them. If you haven't heard of ANKI before, I cannot recommend enough checking them out, they are really helpful for things like the MCAT.

Plan on 3 to 4 months of studying if you can manage to get that amount of time free. 1 or 2 months for content review, and then the rest on practice exams, practice passages, and all of the AAMC materials.

A chapter a week seems like nothing at all, especially Kaplan chapters which are only around 20 to 30 pages a chapter. I've been doing 5 or 6 (Kaplan) chapters a day and I find that to be a bit much, I wouldn't recommend it though as I'm just trying to make up for lost time. I would recommend 4 or so a day since that should take about 6 or 7 hours if you go through it thoroughly and are taking notes on them.

But if I do that than you think that leads to spending time and energy on content that may not even be tested on or not on MCAT as compared to just solely using the books and outside resources to study only everything on AAMC What's on the MCAT Exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
But if I do that than you think that leads to spending time and energy on content that may not even be tested on or not on MCAT as compared to just solely using the books and outside resources to study only everything on AAMC What's on the MCAT Exam?
Whichever book set you get, I would still recommend going through all of it as a strong background in all of the subjects can't hurt you on the exam. I've noticed that Kaplan seems to follow the AAMC outlines to a degree, so I don't think going through everything would be such a problem unless you are really crunched on time. Practice exams/passages are essential and should be at least half of the time spent studying for the MCAT, but if you don't have a solid base of information to work with the practice won't be as effective or worthwhile.

Nothing worthwhile comes out of a building with a weak foundation.

Whichever book set you get, I would still recommend going through all of it as a strong background in all of the subjects can't hurt you on the exam. I've noticed that Kaplan seems to follow the AAMC outlines to a degree, so I don't think going through everything would be such a problem unless you are really crunched on time. Practice exams/passages are essential and should be at least half of the time spent studying for the MCAT, but if you don't have a solid base of information to work with the practice won't be as effective or worthwhile.

Nothing worthwhile comes out of a building with a weak foundation.
In terms of studying all notes I take down of all the AAMC What's on the Exam topics and all the notes I take of chapters in subject book should I study notes out of pure memorization or different method of studying notes?

Memorizing all notes vs other approach to studying all notes I take down

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of studying all notes I take down of all the AAMC What's on the Exam topics and all the notes I take of chapters in subject book should I study notes out of pure memorization or different method of studying notes?
Check out Anki, its a spaced repetition flash card program and is one of the best methods of preparing for the MCAT in my opinion as it helps keep you current on all of the material that you've gone through. Memorizing might get you through an anatomy course, but not this. This kind of test is about critical thinking applied to topics which you need a good background in. I wouldn't just go through the whats on the exam outline as the other chapters you'll find in a book set can help you build connections between concepts and being able to apply concepts in new ways is important for the MCAT. i.e. You should understand acid-base chemistry not only for its own sake but also because proteins/enzymes in the stomach and mechanisms in the kidneys rely on it. If you try to write questions similar to how you think the test makers would come up with them it'll give you practice and it'll make you think deeper about the content.

Instead of "What is responsible for depolarizing an action potential", ask "If one were to take something that inhibits the voltage-gated sodium channels in a neuron, what would happen?" (it wouldn't fire due to an inability to depolarize the resting membrane potential, this is how the neurotoxin in pufferfish works)

If you go through with Anki or do flashcards, set them up as a question as opposed to rote memorization questions.

free recall is harder than multiple choice, master the first and the latter will be easier

What you all think of studying for MCAT during school year on top of full time class load?

Depends on the type of classes and how long you'll spend studying for the MCAT in months. If you can, I would do at least content review with no other responsibilities. This is what takes the longest and you want to make sure you're solid on your content before you move onto practice material.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What you all think of studying for MCAT during school year on top of full time class load?
I did a full class load while studying for the MCAT and did fine on mine. You just need to make time to study/review/practice each day and treat MCAT prep like a class.

I used Examkracker to get a broad overview and fine tune gaps with practice. I didn't find that AAMC outline too helpful myself. I read an advice on SDN somewhere during my prep that it's most important to just pick one test prep company and know that set well.

I did a full class load while studying for the MCAT and did fine on mine. You just need to make time to study/review/practice each day and treat MCAT prep like a class.

I used Examkracker to get a broad overview and fine tune gaps with practice. I didn't find that AAMC outline too helpful myself. I read an advice on SDN somewhere during my prep that it's most important to just pick one test prep company and know that set well.
Why didn't you like the AAmC outline

@MCATSTUDYY

The AAMC outline sometimes is too broad - it doesn't list all the specific terms that can fall under a category. I'm pretty sure I would have missed concepts if I strictly followed that outline.