May 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been solely using EK, getting 9's,10's (mostly), and 11's on end of chapter exams for gen chem. I know they say they aren't true representations of how you will perform on the MCAT but I am getting 12's and 13's on the other subject's end of the chapter practice exams so I think it is safe to say that I may have a little more weakness in the gen chem exams. Anyone have any advice to improve gen chem? Should I consider picking up BR?

ElChamaco

5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been solely using EK, getting 9's,10's (mostly), and 11's on end of chapter exams for gen chem. I know they say they aren't true representations of how you will perform on the MCAT but I am getting 12's and 13's on the other subject's end of the chapter practice exams so I think it is safe to say that I may have a little more weakness in the gen chem exams. Anyone have any advice to improve gen chem? Should I consider picking up BR?
BR is the obvious answer. Their chem and organic books are easily their best, and probably the best on the market.

Good luck.

OP
E
May 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
what about BR makes its gen chem so good?

ElChamaco

5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
what about BR makes its gen chem so good?
There are lots of long reviews of BR's chem book in this forum if you search. In fact if you do a little searching you will see that there is a strong consensus that BR is the best for gchem, physics and organic.

OP
E
May 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
cool thanks for your help in both threads

ElChamaco

5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

phonyreal98

10+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
Take analytical chem. If not that, then go through the BR book on general chemistry.

Sep 21, 2010
Status
I'll have to agree as well. BR Gchem and Ochem are really good. I have BR, EK, and TPR and so far BR clicked the most with me. I use TPR and EK as a supplement to BR.

OP
E
May 17, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
don't have time to take analytical chem while finishing up my masters degree, but thanks for the input, i appreciate it

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
don't have time to take analytical chem while finishing up my masters degree, but thanks for the input, i appreciate it
Hopefully you have time to do hundreds and hundreds of passages with questions, because that's the only way to get better. It takes several hours to take and then review that many passages, but you'll learn more going through the explanations than anywhere else.

hiyaman

7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Take analytical chem. If not that, then go through the BR book on general chemistry.
Uh don't do this. Gen Chem I+II is good enough.

Hopefully you have time to do hundreds and hundreds of passages with questions, because that's the only way to get better. It takes several hours to take and then review that many passages, but you'll learn more going through the explanations than anywhere else.
do this.

CodeBlu

Dream Weaver
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2010
The Ether
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I agree with everything being said here. Mostly about using TBR.

Don't take analytical chem. It's just completely NOT necessary.
I got an 11-VR, 8-PS, T-Writing, and 11-BS when I wrote this past summer. I attribute that 8 in PS to nerves and running out of time. I was only hitting 10's in my practice. Then I found SDN late in the game...

My scores are up in the 12-13 range after only 3 weeks with the BR physics and chem books. I LOVE THE CHEM BOOKS. They're fantastic. As for the physics, we don't get along as it is. I feel as though BR leaves some important stuff out in their explanations for physics if you don't have the classroom course to supplement it. My advice is to use TPR hyperlearning for content.

Good luck!

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Taking analytical chem is overkill and could prove to be counterproductive (amke you overthink the simple things). Just stick to solid reviewing and tons of passages and you'll be fine.

Swagster

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How would analytical chem help for the MCAT. Isn't beyond the scope of the test? All you need is a good MCAT review book. Seems pretty clear that BR is the best general chem, so get that one.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
How would analytical chem help for the MCAT. Isn't beyond the scope of the test?
It might make you better at recognizing experiments on the MCAT, but besides that it seems like it would be complete overkill.