Best way to improve my chances for dental school...Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mighty_dental11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a low undergrad gpa because of work approx. 2.69. and I majored in Biology with a B.S.

How should I go about improving my application for dental school and for a definite spot in dental school?

Postbac route

Or MS Program

If I do postbac how exactly do they calculate / combine my undergrad gpa with postbac gpa?

If I do masters program in biomedical sciences do dental schools still look at undergrad gpa even if you did stellar in you masters program?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a low undergrad gpa because of work approx. 2.69. and I majored in Biology with a B.S.

How should I go about improving my application for dental school and for a definite spot in dental school?

Postbac route

Or MS Program

If I do postbac how exactly do they calculate / combine my undergrad gpa with postbac gpa?

If I do masters program in biomedical sciences do dental schools still look at undergrad gpa even if you did stellar in you masters program?
There are schools that will, "Forgive" your undergad GPA is you do a masters, but I think in your situation you should retake some of the science classes, get an A. Then do the MS program. Also, you want to get above a 20 on the DAT. Take out a loan and do not worry about the finances. If you family can support you, that's even better. Just focus on school.

I agree. I would start by retaking the dental prerequisites if you did not do so well. The accelerated master's is a good choice, as well, but you would have to take out living expenses to ensure you do well and aren't tempted or required to work long hours. Keep in mind, once you are committed to another program, a lot of schools do not let you drop out of it to start dental school.