Best way to learn Acid-Base Balance in physio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdee3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to approach learning the pathophysiology of acid-base disturbances? I've had trouble with this in the past and I always get causes and effects mixed up or get caught up in confusing circular logic. Which textbooks are best to study from? (i don't mind detailed explanations, as long as its logical and coherent) How should you approach questions on an exam? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Very-frustrated M1

Members don't see this ad.

What's the best way to approach learning the pathophysiology of acid-base disturbances? I've had trouble with this in the past and I always get causes and effects mixed up or get caught up in confusing circular logic. Which textbooks are best to study from? (i don't mind detailed explanations, as long as its logical and coherent) How should you approach questions on an exam? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Very-frustrated M1

I loved BRS phys + lots of questions

I just used my lecture notes.

Anything in particular you need help with? Sometimes having another student explain it in plain speak is effective

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,
I would recommend Costanzo's Acid-Base Physiology chapter for starters. She explains things extremely well; prose is not overly-complicated. The key to correctly answering acid-base problems is, like anything, to truly understand the material. I think Costanzo Phys will help with that. You may also want to brush up on your renal physiology if you're feeling a little behind there.

Once you feel like you've got a good grasp, try some practice questions. I've listed two links below that looked pretty good in the 10 seconds I spent browsing them. They may work for you, they may not. Try browsing some more to find some websites that offer you practice acid-base questions. You could also go to your professors and ask if they have a good resource for practicing acid-base physiology.

They are actually some of my favorite questions to get because, once you understand the material, they are really very easy to answer. The difficulty comes with mixed disorders, especially things like mixed acidoses (which you get with cardiopulmonary failure).

Bottom line: read Costanzo's Acid-Base chapter. Maybe brush up on renal. Go to your professors or browse the net to find some practice questions. Do practice questions 'til you're blue in the face. Re-read Costanzo's chapter.

If you need help, SDN has always been a good resource for me. Post a question and I'm sure someone here has an answer and can help explain it.

http://www.acid-base.com/production.php
http://www.acidbasedisorders.com/

Did anyone else think BRS Physio had a good Acid-Base section? FA says it's "comparatively weak" so I've been looking for a different resource.