sbdento

7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2010
I have read many posts saying that the bio section is extremely broad in the topics of the questions asked. Aside from taking more bio classes what is the best way to master this section? Is there a certain review book that is the best? Post your thoughts please.

hoylematt

10+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Cliff's AP Bio is a nice review to start with for some of the foundational knowledge. I followed that up with Thinkwell's Biology videos to cover some of the topics that I was weak in.

The unfortunate truth is that I feel my background in Biology from taking so many different bio courses helped me more than any review book.

Here is an example: I studied an insane amount of anatomy and not one question was on anatomy. I studied an insane amount of phylogeny and there was only one question on one of the most basic phyla that I knew before I even started studying for the DAT. It really depends on the test what kind of endless biology knowledge you will have to know. That's why I feel the Thinkwell videos are a good addition because it takes a broad look at some topics that aren't covered in more specific biology review books, and in a way that is interesting and easy to remember.

Another method that I feel could help you if you want to do a much larger review of Biology would be to buy Campbell's Biology 7th edition (picked mine up used for like 25 bucks) and just study the entire text book several times. I know several people that found this helpful for certain sections that were troubling them in their DAT bio studies.

Like I stated in another thread, you will study more for this section and its randomness will astound you. Good luck!

OP
S

sbdento

7+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2010
Sounds like Cliff's review is the way to go then. Thanks guys.

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
to guarantee a 20+ you need more than cliff's. campbells is great

yappy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So did you just read Cambells? I used it for my gen bio book and it's not really a review book - it's a college text book. Because I feel comfortable with the information in cliff's and uselly get around 19 on bio section on topscore - would it be wise to read through cliff's - as I plan to take the dat next june?

Jia7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2009
Status
From all the advice i have read on this forum and my personal opinion, Cliffs is not enough. I read only a little from Cliffs but that is because i had already started with Schaums Biology Outline and i could see a clear difference in the level of detail between the two. I can honestly say that without Schaums (and my biology background) i wouldn't have done well. You neeeeeeeedd to know the details as much as possible. Not the extremely tinnyyy details but you should have knowledge about enough specifics as possible. All my questions on the DAT could be answered by knowing content in Schaums.

Good luck!

Avery07

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2008
Status
Dentist
From all the advice i have read on this forum and my personal opinion, Cliffs is not enough. I read only a little from Cliffs but that is because i had already started with Schaums Biology Outline and i could see a clear difference in the level of detail between the two. I can honestly say that without Schaums (and my biology background) i wouldn't have done well. You neeeeeeeedd to know the details as much as possible. Not the extremely tinnyyy details but you should have knowledge about enough specifics as possible. All my questions on the DAT could be answered by knowing content in Schaums.

Good luck!
I don't know anything about Schaums but I agree with Jia7 on knowing details. --and with so many details to possibly know, you just have to do your best.

azar87

MD 2 Be
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
New York
Status
Medical Student
Bio like everyone knows is a tough and random section of the DAT your going to want to get your hands on campbell if you have time to review the sections or Cliffs AP bio then do the destroyer problems inside out and check the solutions thats probably the most efficient method of tackling the bio section on the DAT. Good luck :thumbup:

JOoa0ky

5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
For bio you might as well just read through cliffs and barrons. After you're done with that then read through all of schaum's.

As many have pointed out... cliffs/barrons is just simply not enough. To be 100% covered you'd have to read through campbells but there is just way too much material within it... which is why I'm going to have to agree with those who recommended Schaum's.

Its more than cliffs/barrons but not as much as campbell's. I think its a happy medium.