best way to pack suit???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh_Gee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit: idk why but SDN won't let me post the amazon links.
so far I've tried 2 ways

1. did this

and put it into my carry on. did my best not to overstuff it and cause wrinkles. after i unpacked my suit, it had a few wrinkles.

2.got one of these
google
U.S. Traveler Koskin Leather 2-in-1 Carry-On Garment Duffel Bag
Amazon product
even more wrinkles when i unpacked. used it once and 1 of the zippers is starting to tear already

it seems the best way is just to buy of these, right?
WallyBags 42 Inch Garment Cover
Amazon product
it just seems like a pain to carry that through airports and how do you keep that from being smashed in overhead compartments?

I've heard that you shouldn't iron suits too much. I really don't want to mess up my suits.
The "suit in bathroom during steamy shower" kinda works but doesn't get rid of all the wrinkles

travel pros, how do you do it!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When you travel your suit will get wrinkled. That's a fact of life. You can do stuff to minimize this (folding certain ways, different types of luggage) but it will never be 100% perfect.

I think most any of the 'normal' ways will wrinkle so little that most people wouldn't care enough to notice. I personally fly with a garment bag that folds in half for easy carrying, ask the flight attendants to hang it in the first-class closet, and have only had small wrinkles (which also just occur from wearing it for a day, especially while sitting).

Invest in a portable steamer if you're really worried about it. Or just, y'know, don't worry.

Thank you for posting that video, I have been searching for a way to fold my suit in my luggage as I don't have a suit bag.

When you travel your suit will get wrinkled. That's a fact of life. You can do stuff to minimize this (folding certain ways, different types of luggage) but it will never be 100% perfect.

I think most any of the 'normal' ways will wrinkle so little that most people wouldn't care enough to notice. I personally fly with a garment bag that folds in half for easy carrying, ask the flight attendants to hang it in the first-class closet, and have only had small wrinkles (which also just occur from wearing it for a day, especially while sitting).

Invest in a portable steamer if you're really worried about it. Or just, y'know, don't worry.
wow i didn't know you could do that. do they usually do that for you?

Drive to interviews :D

Bring a handheld steamer or iron with you. I have a garmet bag that folds in half nicely as well.

When I traveled I just wore my suit on the plane and avoided trying to fold it/pack it

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your suit in the bag they give you at the dry cleaner. I did that, used a foldable garment bag and carried it into the plane with me. Didn't get any wrinkles. If your suit does get wrinkled, you can also hang your suit inside the bathroom when you take a hot shower, and the steam should knock out any small wrinkles

Do you have any suggestions for suit travel bags that'll meet some airlines' asinine carry-on limitations?

I used the American Tourister garment bag from Walmart. It was $40, and had no issue taking it into the plane with me.

Do you have any suggestions for suit travel bags that'll meet some airlines' asinine carry-on limitations?

I used a WallyBags 40 inch Garment Bag from Amazon. Didn't give me any issues.

I folded my garment bag in half on the top of my carry-on suitcase, and took it out to hang as soon as I got my rental car. I never had any problems.

I literally just travelled by flight cross country for an interview with my suit. I put it in a normal suit bag that has a hole at the bottom to fold it in half for travel. First flight they let me hang it in the closet. Second flight I put it overhead. No wrinkles.

I just usually make sure to pull the suit jacket inside out before I fold it. Pants are just folded normally though

rolling>folding, if you absolutely have to make a suit fit in a suitcase. You end up with less creases if you roll properly, and there is minimal ironing to be done when you arrive at your destination.

wow i didn't know you could do that. do they usually do that for you?
Yes! Assuming it isn't full of first-class people's jackets. Not typically a problem in the summer/fall, but as people start wearing winter coats... I've never met resistance, both on the interview trail and with personal travels.

if you've tried this before, did you get any wrinkles in the suit?
I did this and put it in my backpack. What few creases I got released when it was steamed in a bathroom with a hot shower.

rolling>folding, if you absolutely have to make a suit fit in a suitcase. You end up with less creases if you roll properly, and there is minimal ironing to be done when you arrive at your destination.
like this?

Yes! Assuming it isn't full of first-class people's jackets. Not typically a problem in the summer/fall, but as people start wearing winter coats... I've never met resistance, both on the interview trail and with personal travels.
i wonder if i'll ever be able to afford first class flights

i wonder if i'll ever be able to afford first class flights
Maybe if you wear a pretend military uniform, some nice gentleman will give you his seat.

But feelings of guilt will boil your innards.

Maybe if you wear a pretend military uniform, some nice gentleman will give you his seat.

But feelings of guilt will boil your innards.

I would advise against stolen valor. lol

Reactions: 1 users
I flew Spirit Air - they make you pay for large carry-ons, too...only one carry-on item is free, and then only if it fits under the seat in front of you. What I did was bring my suit in the cheapo garment bag that comes with them at some stores (I pilfered my roommate's Men's Wearhouse one), and right before boarding or when I was doing long walking and didn't want to hold it, I'd fold the suit in quarters (carefully) within that bag and stick it in the elastics on the outside of my backpack. It fit perfectly well, even went under the seat in front of me. I waited until boarding was pretty much done, then I'd pull it out and find a spot in the overhead bins where I could lay it out, though I suppose you could also ask the flight attendants at that point. It was pretty convenient...I never had to carry it if I didn't want to, but it didn't spend large chunks of time folded. No wrinkles (though my suit also seems to resist them pretty well.)

I usually just carry the suit on the plane with me in a suit bag. Take the aisle seat and wait after everyone is seated and lay my suit flat on top of other people's luggages. I know for sure Southwest doesn't hang your suit for you so that's the way to do it for me.

I got a duffel bag/garment bag hybrid similar to the ones mentioned above. Worked well when I flew for my first interview, my suit and shirts had no noticeable wrinkles at all.

I have used my Skyroll for the past 10 years now. It is the only thing I need when traveling overnight. No check-in luggage and no hassle.
Never failed me once and it has pockets for your shoes and other stuff a man needs for one night and a day (and more depending on how you travel).
http://www.skyroll.com/shop/skyroll-garment-bag/

Last edited: