Best way to prepare for MMI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananafish94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best way to prepare for an MMI is. I've gone through tons of practice MMI questions and tried to give myself ~2 minutes to evaluate the scenario and then give an analysis of the dilemma, all of the possible viewpoints, and what I consider to be the best course of action with a lot of support. I also read @PugsAndHugs 's post on MMI preparation and thought it was extremely helpful. Does anyone have more advice? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, there is not much else you can do. You've exposed yourself to the available examples and have practiced analyzing and responding in the given time frame (great job!) All that's left is to relax and not worry too much :) You can't possibly know what kinds of questions you will get so keep calm and get lot's of rest :) I would add that it might do you some good to look at typical interview questions and practice (but not over-rehearse) answers to those because they can pop up. Good luck!

To be honest, there is not much else you can do. You've exposed yourself to the available examples and have practiced analyzing and responding in the given time frame (great job!) All that's left is to relax and not worry too much :) You can't possibly know what kinds of questions you will get so keep calm and get lot's of rest :) I would add that it might do you some good to look at typical interview questions and practice (but not over-rehearse) answers to those because they can pop up. Good luck!
You mean like an MMI station asking a typical interview question? And thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Relax. At this point that's all you can do.
You'll perform a lot better if you are not nervous or sound scripted.

Rock on bananafish!

Reactions: 1 users
You mean like an MMI station asking a typical interview question? And thank you!
Yep! Exactly that (just to be extra explicit - you get to a station and the prompt is, "Tell me why you want to be a physician")

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't really bother preparing for an MMI, there's not much you can do to improve your answer to screwball questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I was wondering what the best way to prepare for an MMI is. I've gone through tons of practice MMI questions and tried to give myself ~2 minutes to evaluate the scenario and then give an analysis of the dilemma, all of the possible viewpoints, and what I consider to be the best course of action with a lot of support. I also read @PugsAndHugs 's post on MMI preparation and thought it was extremely helpful. Does anyone have more advice? Thanks in advance!

Just be normal and relaxed. Maybe take a swig of some good stuff right before of it helps you chill out.

I would go through some MMI practice questions, there are a bunch available online. It helps to get used to the format and it helps you get comfortable with approaching difficult ethical situations. Honestly all of the ones I found online were more difficult than the ones that popped up in my MMI, but it did help to browse through questions and topics and see "oh yeah I could get a question about alternative, how would I answer that?" Looking through the questions can help you become more concise too because you are already familiar with the format and content, which is important so the interviewer can ask you follow up questions.

I found this site really helpful for reviewing bioethics topics. I can't say in the interview I thought back to it, but it definitely has thought-provoking and helpful information. https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

Finally, be prepared to answer any of the "classic interview questions". If you've prepared for normal interviews before, you should be fine with the "classic interview questions" if they were to show up on the MMI.

I would go through some MMI practice questions, there are a bunch available online. It helps to get used to the format and it helps you get comfortable with approaching difficult ethical situations. Honestly all of the ones I found online were more difficult than the ones that popped up in my MMI, but it did help to browse through questions and topics and see "oh yeah I could get a question about alternative, how would I answer that?" Looking through the questions can help you become more concise too because you are already familiar with the format and content, which is important so the interviewer can ask you follow up questions.

I found this site really helpful for reviewing bioethics topics. I can't say in the interview I thought back to it, but it definitely has thought-provoking and helpful information. https://depts.washington.edu/bioethx/topics/

Finally, be prepared to answer any of the "classic interview questions". If you've prepared for normal interviews before, you should be fine with the "classic interview questions" if they were to show up on the MMI.
Thank you for such a comprehensive answer! I will read that link...it looks very helpful. I've done a few normal interviews so I should be prepared for that.