Best way to prepare for writing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted102545

Topic says it all. :) I'm a voracious reader of magazines, news papers, journals, and whatnot and also do plenty of writing but I still had some trouble on the April MCAT essays. I finished them and covered all three tasks but I felt they weren't that great, maybe a score of N-P. Please help.

Also, does anyone know how much importance adcoms put on the writing score?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

ReDox said:
Topic says it all. :) I'm a voracious reader of magazines, news papers, journals, and whatnot and also do plenty of writing but I still had some trouble on the April MCAT essays. I finished them and covered all three tasks but I felt they weren't that great, maybe a score of N-P. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Reading is huge help. Especially reading the type/style of essasy that you are expected to write (typically a short argument with explaination, example, counter example, and integration). It helps you to develop your writing "voice". It is always easier if you can write how you think. So train yourself to think in a more formal / structured way. But don't forget to actually practice writing. Write essays on random topics over and over and have others read and critique it (if you don't have a lot of writing experience from whatever program you are/were in). I have hear that adcoms only really pay much attention to your writing score if it is significantly high or low. Which would help or hurt respectively. Otherwise, I don't think it matters too much.

ReDox said:

Thanks in advance.

Read 'The Elements of Style' and write a few practice essays. After that, don't worry about it. The writing sample is worthless.