Best way to review O-Chem I before taking O-Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anondukie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bacc student and I will be taking O-chem II in the fall.

It's been a while since I took O-chem I and I didn't receive a stellar grade (I got a B) so I'm fairly nervous about the second semester of O-chem. I've been working through "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" in an attempt to review the material from O-chem I. Is this the best approach? I'm hoping to get through most of the book before the beginning of the fall semester. Are there any topics that I should emphasize?

Also, any information regarding strategies for earning an A/A+ in O-chem II would be greatly appreciated (hours per week; websites; textbooks; tutors; memorization vs a more conceptual approach; etc.).

Additionally, would it be better to take organic chemistry lab in the same semester as O-chem II or wait until the spring semester to take it?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take it the same semester and actually try to understand and apply what you're learning in class to the lab. It'll help you retain the info better.

In my experience orgo 2 was much easier than orgo 1, 2 was mainly memorizing what reactions occurred with specific functional groups and specific reagents. With that in mind I would recommend memorization and practice. Literally go through all of the problems in your text book before each exam

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the prompt response! Did you go through the problems multiple times?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the A. Thank you for the tips!

Reactions: 1 users