Best way to search for a job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merovinge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing my last year of CAP fellowship this coming year and looking for advice on how to best tackle the job market. I live in a large metra (some of you know which based on previous posts) and will have to be in the city or proximal suburbs for family. I am likely to need to move after 1 year, although this is based on a fellowship for my significant other and thus up in the air. Given this, I feel that it is most morally appropriate to do inpatient work and not build any outpatient practice. My priorities are salary to pay back loans and ability to provide good care to patients.

A few specific questions:
1) would you work with an external recruiters? They obviously get paid to bring me in and thus I would expect this to limit signing bonus/my salary as the $$ most come from somewhere.

2) Is it worth it to just contact places that have a known inpatient unit that are in good locations (i.e. cold call)? I have made some connections in the city but there are a ton of hospital systems in the area that I do not know anyone at.

3) Any other advice for entering the job market? I will certainly have my contract reviewed by a professional, I recognize the need to solidify what exactly expectations, benefits, med mal w/ tail coverage, non competes, etc but still have not worked a for pay job in a decade.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Find the location you want to live. First and foremost. Then apply for licenses in that state. It will take a few months and this must be planned for. Once you've located the geographical area you want to live in, and understanding that your first job won't be your last, call the local hospitals and talk with their physician recruitment about what you bring to the table. But you have to establish a need in the area.

It's game on from there.

I should have been more clear. I will be in the same city I am finishing my fellowship in. It is a huge metra, and there is always demand for CAP as far as I've been told. Biggest question is how to search through the sea of hospitals/positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Directly call the medical directors of the inpatient units you want to work for, let them know you're looking for work.

Reactions: 1 user
Even in a large metro area how many cap inpatient units are there? Absolutely no reason to work with 3rd party recruiters if there are a very finite number of positions to choose among.

Can you moonlight (try before you buy) at any of these places? Even if it's just on the adult units it would be good exposure.

Even in a large metro area how many cap inpatient units are there? Absolutely no reason to work with 3rd party recruiters if there are a very finite number of positions to choose among.

Can you moonlight (try before you buy) at any of these places? Even if it's just on the adult units it would be good exposure.

Can't speak for private, but on the academic side, every place I've ever trained at has had a pretty massive difference in culture, procedure, and workflow between child and adult.

There is 1 hospital I am actively trying to moonlight at that is expanding and would likely have an opening for me but there is very little CAP inpatient moonlighting in the area (basically 1 hospital that uses the moonlighting system, others use PA/NP models or attending call). UHS has 3 inpatient units in the area with openings and I am starting with those to get a feel for the private market. I was trying to figure out if calling the medical directors on the units would be reasonable and it sounds like it is, will give that a shot.