Best way to secure SLOEs as an international graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Opout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm having some difficulty finding places that will let me rotate to secure a SLOE. I've reached out to a few hospitals individually that are relatively less competitive for IMGs, but they all require rotations to be done through VSAS and are unable to accommodate graduates. I know SLOEs are a critical part of the app (particularly because my Step 1 is meh) and I'd like to maximize my chances. If anyone knows of any hospitals that allow international grads to rotate, please let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I sincerely apologize if this is a cross-post, I couldn't find the thread anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

It is an uphill battle to secure SLOEs as an international graduate. However, it can be done. Here are some ways I would recommend:

1. Your medical school may have an affiliation/agreement with a US university. Talk to your Dean and try and explore that option.
2. Use the EMRA match web app.
EMRA Match

Change into "Clerkship" instead of residency on the top left, and apply the filter "Accepts IMGs". About 43 programs will show up. Email the coordinators (email address available on the app) and ask them what is their application procedure. This is time-consuming and it may or may not work.
3. There are medical schools that accept IMGs in internal medicine rotations (Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Case, Thomas Jefferson, etc) and some of them accept IMGs in their EM rotations on very limited slots. Remember, these positions are extremely competitive, and are filled quite early on, so apply early.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It is an uphill battle to secure SLOEs as an international graduate. However, it can be done. Here are some ways I would recommend:

1. Your medical school may have an affiliation/agreement with a US university. Talk to your Dean and try and explore that option.
2. Use the EMRA match web app.
EMRA Match

Change into "Clerkship" instead of residency on the top left, and apply the filter "Accepts IMGs". About 43 programs will show up. Email the coordinators (email address available on the app) and ask them what is their application procedure. This is time-consuming and it may or may not work.
3. There are medical schools that accept IMGs in internal medicine rotations (Yale, Cornell, Stanford, Case, Thomas Jefferson, etc) and some of them accept IMGs in their EM rotations on very limited slots. Remember, these positions are extremely competitive, and are filled quite early on, so apply early.

Good luck!
You're the best kind of person. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're the best kind of person. Thank you so much!
That’s all good advice, to be sure. But if you have already graduated from medical school (anywhere in the world, including the US), none of those options are available to you.

If you are still a student, then the above advice is excellent.

That’s all good advice, to be sure. But if you have already graduated from medical school (anywhere in the world, including the US), none of those options are available to you.

If you are still a student, then the above advice is excellent.
Unfortunately I'm not a student anymore. I had USCE as a student at 3 university programs, but none of it was in EM. I only got exposed to EM after I had graduated, so the timing of it was a bit unlucky. I was thinking it might be possible to rotate if it's at programs that don't do VSAS and are friendly to IMGs. Of course chances are slim, but I'll give it a shot.

If nothing else (assuming I choose to persist in pursuing EM), I can just do a prelim year and reapply. I guess we'll see. Thanks for commenting though, I really appreciate your input!