Best way to spend 1-2 years off between college and med school????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cookie143

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am graduating this year and need a break from school before starting things up again with medical school. I want to do something productive rather than just relaxing but need a break from the school scene. Any suggestions???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am graduating this year and need a break from school before starting things up again with medical school. I want to do something productive rather than just relaxing but need a break from the school scene. Any suggestions???

Yes. Lose the bold font for any resumes you send out.

Here's a tip for you- **** OFF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, such a pleasant disposition. While the advice was tongue in cheek, I do teach technical writing, and bold fonts, when abused, are off-putting to your reader, producing a negative reaction before they even see what you have to say. So, you know, have a nice day, newbie. :)

If you want him to "**** off", why do you post something
that you want an opinion on then whine about it later?

Ah, such a pleasant disposition. While the advice was tongue in cheek, I do teach technical writing, and bold fonts, when abused, are off-putting to your reader, producing a negative reaction before they even see what you have to say. So, you know, have a nice day, newbie. :)

Quix wins! :thumbup:

If you want him to "**** off", why do you post something
that you want an opinion on then whine about it later?

I wanted an opinion on what to do during my year off...NOT my font choice...you are in some serious need of a life if you have nothing better to do than argue with people on the internet.

I wanted an opinion on what to do during my year off...NOT my font choice...you are in some serious need of a life if you have nothing better to do than argue with people on the internet.

Dude -- you need to mellow out. The bold font was painful to read. You pretty much asked for the response you got.

As for suggestions, perhaps get a job in a hospital or other clinical setting, that will give you added exposure to medicine, or else maybe do a research project.

figure out whats weakest on your app. and fix that.

pretty much what im doing...graduated in may...now working in clinical research as i apply.

Maybe some Anger Management, College Composition, and some community college classes to aid you in writing correctly.

After this, I suggest just getting in some EC's and some research if possible. Also there are several other programs similar to Peace Corps that last about 2-4 weeks, this will help out as well.

Research positions are usually chill. You get to enhance your scientific expertise, and labs are pretty understanding about interviews and your med school goals compared to regular employers. I've worked in several labs where the lab tech was someone who was taking time off before applying to some professional or graduate school program.

Well, first off, lose the attitude. You're find snapping at people on SDN is a fine way to get you banned and a lousy way to start your first posts on the forum. ;)

Second of all, maybe try to do some research or a hospital related job. I actually worked (not because i was taking off a year though but I ended up going back to school after a couple years out of college). All of these are good things to talk about on your application. :)

Ok, I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you get in at a research lab? I never see ads for them. I am currently working in a medical lab but it's totally not the same and I kind of don't enjoy my job. Can you work at a research lab with only a BS?

Ok, I know this is going to sound stupid, but how do you get in at a research lab? I never see ads for them. I am currently working in a medical lab but it's totally not the same and I kind of don't enjoy my job. Can you work at a research lab with only a BS?

Sometimes your professors have connections in industry or in the department, some departments have internal job postings on their websites, and some corporations have positions that are only advertised on their website (i.e., not in traditional print ads). Alternatively, there appear to be a number of on-line resources you could check.

working in a research/health-care related field. keeping in touch with few of the professor from undergrad (because you may need an LOR from them). also making sure you have completed all the pre-req courses. also doing some shadowing and volunteering.

yes you can work in a research lab with a BS degree. in order to find a job...you should look up biotech companies and pharmaceutical companies near your area and look up job availability on their website. also find temporary agencies in your area. the temporary agency should have information about variety of jobs in your area. plus they'll help you find a temporary job.