best way to study for bio? outline or no outline? kaplan blue book or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokie4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of all the sciences bio is the one i feel the most comfortable with since I got a minor in biology but I still want to be thorough so I've been outlining the kaplan blue book and it's still taking me forever! I am waaayyy behind my initial and revised time schedule so I think I am just gonna read the kaplan blue book instead of outlining it and do practice problems from EK or through the practice tests and go back and focus on weak spots that still show up from there. I feel like I can use all this time more efficiently for studying ochem or practicing PAT even QR which I need more time in. I knwo I should ditch the outlines due to time constraints but I still feel weary because I know I won't be as thorough with my studies then. What do you guys think? Continue with outlining kaplan blue book or not?

Did any of you actually make outlines? did it help? KBB is sooo general sometimes though that I feel like I shoudln't be outlining half of it anyways but so many of you have said that this book was great and worth it to go through in DAT prep as long as you supplement it with topscore or achiever or destroyer, correct?

I guess I'm just falling more and more behind on my time schedule and am figuring how to change studying habits/schedule in order to still take the test in less than a month now :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I am personally not an outliner, so I would say skip the outlining and just read the book carefully and do the practice problems. You will probably waste too much time making an outline. The blue book is a great book, but as you said, it is too general in some areas in regards to biology. You really should get something like Schaum's outline of biology to get more details for some of those areas. Topscore is also great, but it is just a set of computerized practice tests - it helps give you a good feel for what the actual test will be like and helps show you some of your weak areas. DAT destroyer and Examkrackers Bio for the MCAT are also good tools to use to help sharpen your skills. I honestly feel kaplan is good enough for most sections of the DAT if you know the book very well, but biology is definitly an area you need to go out side of kaplan for some additional help. Kaplan's PAT section is also way to easy compared to the actual exam. Less than a month is enoggh time if you really focus and use your time well. No time to relax though, work hard these next few weeks and you will be happy you did. Good luck.

Schaum's outline of biology
Topscore Pro DAT
ExamKracker's Bio
DAT Destroyer

It probably depends on you. I personally outlined that book, after highlighting it. I'm in the process of outlining shaums biology. I learn best by writing, because it keeps me focused. If you've been able to study in the past without it, it might not be necessary for you. G/L!