Best way to study for General Chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFStudent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to study the general chemistry section?

I need help with Ka, Ksp, Keq equations (math problems).

I was thinking about purchasing a Chemistry AP book.

Has anyone tried that?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an idea . . .

Most college libraries have old texts (2 to 3 years old). I'm betting the basic equations for Ka, Ksp, and Keq are still the same today, as they were 5 years ago. With this in mind, you can get, a college level text book with 100s of problems and detailed explanation for FREE!!!! And, when you're done with the DAT, you can return the book! That's my plan.

The best way for studying the gen chem is to get a kaplan book or something similar and do every kind of problem you can many times over. Even if you aren't actually "learning" how to do the problems eventually you'll know what words to look for and how to structure the problems. My proof for this little experiment is that I scored a 21 on that section(I SUCKED at gen chem). My buddy scored a 20 doing the same thing(using Kaplan materials in the class we took together). By the way, my friend is 30 years old and hadn't had gen chem since the early 90's. It took me about a week of concentration on the gen chem to get it(approx. 4 to 6 hrs a day). While this timeline may or may not work for you, I'm pretty certain the method will. Best of luck with studying!

Sincerely,

Calculus1

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't plan on taking the DAT for a while(like a year from now) would it be wise to redo problem sets from class to refresh my memory so that when it comes time to really study for the DAT it becomes just an exercise in answering DAT format problems instead of relearning concepts(w/the KAPLAN book) and DAT practice, or would this be a useless exercise?

Doing problem sets to ensure that you dont forget the concepts will be a great idea, I wish I had done that.

I'm starting to review my biology and chemistry books, relearning it hasn't being that bad.

Originally posted by blankguy
I don't plan on taking the DAT for a while(like a year from now) would it be wise to redo problem sets from class to refresh my memory so that when it comes time to really study for the DAT it becomes just an exercise in answering DAT format problems instead of relearning concepts(w/the KAPLAN book) and DAT practice, or would this be a useless exercise?

Sounds like a mixture of working problems and reviewing/rereading chemistry would be a good thing to do. If I had the time and motivation, I would have done it too. To be honest, I doubt I would have been that motivated :) But if you can make that committment, I think it would be a great idea.