Best way to study for the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deltaG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am still somewhat new to the DAT forums so please bear with me if this question was repeated.

What is the best way to prepare for the DAT in terms of length of studying? Like is it best to study slow and steadily for a long period of time (like 5-6 months) or studying really hard and kind of cramming in 2-3 months? I wont be taking the DAT till spring of next year but I want to get and idea of when I should start studying and such.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, the best and most efficient way is to cram the entire test inside a 10 week period (basically 2 good full-time months). The problem I experienced with going past 2 months is you start to forget material from the first few weeks, so you have to go back and re-review (very annoying).

I studied in 3 weeks, and I can tell you that isn't the way to go. Ideally, I wish I had about 2 months to do it. Dentalworks pretty much hit the nail on the head. What little studying I was able to accomplish during my college semester, I had nearly forgotten by the time my "serious" studying started anyway.

Hi everyone,

I am still somewhat new to the DAT forums so please bear with me if this question was repeated.

What is the best way to prepare for the DAT in terms of length of studying? Like is it best to study slow and steadily for a long period of time (like 5-6 months) or studying really hard and kind of cramming in 2-3 months? I wont be taking the DAT till spring of next year but I want to get and idea of when I should start studying and such.

Thanks!
I benefitted highly from just over a month's worth of very intense studying. I went from after school ended in late December until when I took the DAT, which was I think January 19th or so. I literally woke up every day and made flash cards and took practice tests. It was insane. However, for me, it was the perfect amount of time.

I know a lot of people take the entire summer to do like a Kaplan course, and study for several months. I could never do that. I was happy to get the studying done in the course of a month. Of course, I had just finished taking a general chemistry and anatomy class, so a lot of the chemistry and biology was still fresh in my mind from those classes.