Best way to study for vocab on PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avik224

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering.........what is THE BEST way to study for the vocabulary in the reading comp section:

Memorizing words from word lists?
Word roots, prefixes & suffixes?
Anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that there is a real good way to study for the verbal portion. Of all the things you could study for, word roots, parts of speech, etc. are not what I would worry about. If you can read and are fairly verbose you should be able to do at least ok on the verbal section. It was my lowest score but it was not bad by any standard. If you read books for pleasure (which I don't) I feel you would be at a great advantage.

Where can I find a list of vocab words for me to study that will be in the PCAT?

Read. Do crosswords in the newspaper. Read. Look up any unfamiliar word that you come across. Read. The words are not that difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
The absolute best way to study for the verbal is Kaplan; the book and the flash cards. just about every word i saw on the pcat was in those notecards or the book i studied. The words are easy to remember too if you just study. I just studied flashcards in the morning while on the treadmill i remembered like 40-50 new words per day. at the end of the run; i went thru all the ones i just studied and the ones from previous days.

i got a perfect score on that part. :D

hey, I wonder which flashcards that you use? The 1000 general or GRE words? I'm studying on GRE and I did not see any words at all in the PCAT Oct.

The absolute best way to study for the verbal is Kaplan; the book and the flash cards. just about every word i saw on the pcat was in those notecards or the book i studied. The words are easy to remember too if you just study. I just studied flashcards in the morning while on the treadmill i remembered like 40-50 new words per day. at the end of the run; i went thru all the ones i just studied and the ones from previous days.

Read. Do crosswords in the newspaper. Read. Look up any unfamiliar word that you come across. Read. The words are not that difficult.

I absolutely agree with this. I do all of the above (well, I should read more), and I had no problems with the verbal section.

Reading and verbal skills are more of a long-term commitment rather than something for which you can cram in the month before the test.

This is what I used to review for the verbal section...(i think i posted this before, oh well).

1) Top 500 GRE Words ($12 at your local bookstore, make flash cards, or pay a few dollars more and they come as flash cards).

2) Read "The Economist" and WSJ.

3) Study a Latin-based language, or take Latin if you have time.

4) Read classic literature from the 18th and 19th century with a dictionary nearby.

Read read read read! That's how you pick up vocabulary, and use it in your day to day conversations. Studying prefixes/suffixes won't do you any good as you'll forget these at test time, and verbal is NOT about memorization of anything. It's about being able to tap into your linguistic capability on the fly, which does take months/years to build up.

Knowing the straight definitions of things helps, but more than anything, you'll need to know the subtle relationships between words.

Simple example I just made up: Soluble:oops:paque::precipitate: ?

a) clouded
b) clear
c) rugged
d) oxidation

You probably know the definition of each of those words, so the potential difficulty is in the relationship between them. The answer is B. Why? Well, if something is soluble, it mixes well in a solution, making it appear CLEAR. Well, clear is the opposite of opaque, so soluble and opaque have the opposite relationship. When something precipitates out, it becomes visible, and since the relationship in the first analogy is opposite, therefore the answer must be clear.

When you read these analogies, you shouldn't be reading them as individual words, you should be reading them in your head like "Soluble results in opaque...no, that's wrong...soluble solution does NOT result in an opaque substance." Take the operative "does NOT result in" and substitute it in the 2nd analogy such that "precipitate in solution does NOT result in..." and your answer will be CLEAR.

Still, this advice is predicated on the fact that you know the definition of the words. I didn't know every definition of each word on the test specifically, and thankfully you don't need to. Simply having a vague idea what a word means will suffice. This is where reading comes in, since you won't pick up definitions per se, but you'll be reading them in context which provides enough for this test.

That free rice game is kinda neat. I remember seeing several of those words on practice tests.

Plus it definatly helps with finding clues to it's meaning from the structure of the word.

I got up to level 36 but got stuck there and gave up after about 3000 grains of rice. Ha Ha.. what is that 2 ounces of rice?

That free rice game is kinda neat. I remember seeing several of those words on practice tests.

Plus it definatly helps with finding clues to it's meaning from the structure of the word.

I got up to level 36 but got stuck there and gave up after about 3000 grains of rice. Ha Ha.. what is that 2 ounces of rice?

haha... Everybody else post their scores!

I'm in gr. 11. My AVERAGE level is 15. Highest 43. That sucks. Boy... I really need to up my vocab.

i'm up to 40..

average 36.

pretty tough.. for me anyway at about level 34.

If anyone still want advice on vocab, here's my two cents. I did horrible on the first pcat verbal. So for my method of studying, I used this vocab builder by Meriam Webster that has about 3000 vocabs. I studied the root words and their variations. And then, I would use a tape recorder and record those words that I need help with and their meanings so that I could listen to them while I drive (instead of talking on the phone) or doing daily routines and as I fall asleep. Not only that, I did a lot of practice tests: Kaplan, Harcourt tests, Barron's, Peterson's and Cliff Notes. While doing the tests (especially for Kaplan and Harcourt), I tried to understand the relationship as they explained it. My verbal score improved by about 55 points. And I studied hard core like this for 3 weeks before the PCAT. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone still want advice on vocab, here's my two cents. I did horrible on the first pcat verbal. So for my method of studying, I used this vocab builder by Meriam Webster that has about 3000 vocabs. I studied the root words and their variations. And then, I would use a tape recorder and record those words that I need help with and their meanings so that I could listen to them while I drive (instead of talking on the phone) or doing daily routines and as I fall asleep. Not only that, I did a lot of practice tests: Kaplan, Harcourt tests, Barron's, Peterson's and Cliff Notes. While doing the tests (especially for Kaplan and Harcourt), I tried to understand the relationship as they explained it. My verbal score improved by about 55 points. And I studied hard core like this for 3 weeks before the PCAT. Good luck!

Great advice. I'm reading "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins (30th Anniversary Edition) and I must say, there are a LOT of new vocab words I'm learning. Like 30 within the first 10 pages.

For anybody interested, I will be starting a challenge on this upcoming Monday. I will be doing the 8-week SAT* prep plan found on majortests.com lol The colleges/universities around me don't even do SAT's. I livei n Canda.

Hopefully by June 2008, I can start on GRE. That's near the end of my gr. 11 year! Rock on! I'm gonna be a senior next year.

I'm only in grade 11. You say that in every post! Stop! If you are only in grade 11, why are you giving advice? nuff said

I'm only in grade 11. You say that in every post! Stop! If you are only in grade 11, why are you giving advice? nuff said

Woah... It looks like I have a major stalker here!!! Mods ban this guy before he does anything drastic! ;)

Onward.

Let me know if you see a law prohibiting that I give people advice -- and when I do, it's CLEAR that it's advice amd not statements that are thought to be advice -- so I'll keep on blowing peoples minds out with my wickedly awesome advice. 'Nuff said.

Oh! I forgot... I'm only in gr. 11. haha just for giggles. :laugh:

you rock, labrat!

no, your awesome. Sorry for trying to not let you shine. I loved all of your previous threads. Very well thought out! My apologies :p

Anytime you stumble upon a word you don't understand, write it down and look it up later. When you're taking the exam, think about the components of each word - don't just look at the word and feel perplexed... see if you can disassemble it.

Kaplan works well for some people, from what I hear.

That section of the PCAT really wasn't bad. Don't feel like you need to learn a myriad of new words. Good luck.

I've been trying to find those & I Can't. Are they just vocab? Would you mind finding a link or the ISBN for me?

The Kaplan PCAT course comes with vocab study cards. However from what I remember they're the same as the vocab words listed in the normal kaplan study guide book.

I'm in gr. 11. My AVERAGE level is 15. Highest 43. That sucks. Boy... I really need to up my vocab.

I tried it for a bit and got up to 36. After that I hovered around 30-33 for about 5 minutes. Unfortunately I am rather good at eliminating options and then getting the answer correct by process of elimination, but not knowing or having a good grasp on what both the original word and the answer mean.

I was just wondering what flash cards are you referring to?

The Kaplan PCAT course comes with vocab study cards. However from what I remember they're the same as the vocab words listed in the normal kaplan study guide book.

these cards are mostly similar to the ones in the book but the kaplan course packet book for verbal itself have a lot more vocabs over 1000, there is no way anyone would memorize all of it.

I have recieved a ton of pm's about what kind of flashcards i was referring to, so here is a picture i just took of them just now.

flashcardslk5.jpg

I have recieved a ton of pm's about what kind of flashcards i was referring to, so here is a picture i just took of them just now.

flashcardslk5.jpg

These are flashcards that you only get if you bought the kaplan course, there is no way to get them any other way unless you bought it off someone whos done with the pcat.

These are flashcards that you only get if you bought the kaplan course, there is no way to get them any other way unless you bought it off someone whos done with the pcat.

What do you mean by PCAT course ? I bought a book from kaplan, do you mean only if you signed up for the actual course by Kaplan ?

What do you mean by PCAT course ? I bought a book from kaplan, do you mean only if you signed up for the actual course by Kaplan ?

yes, you have to be in the course. what other course is there? buying the 35$ book doesn't not mean you're enrolled in their course.

yes, you have to be in the course. what other course is there? buying the 35$ book doesn't not mean you're enrolled in their course.

I am sorry, I had less than 2 hours of sleep, it's hard to think clearly when you are as sleep deprived as I constantly am.

Do you know where one could buy these flashcards off a somebody who took the course ?

Last edited:

My highest is 53 and those words are hard. I have never even seen half of them. Here are some from the high 40s/low 50s level: alewife, pandy, osier, flivver, demiurge, alforja.

hey i have a question about grading. if im hand grading my tests and im getting about 77% correct (as my average for all the sections) then does that mean thats around what ill get on the actualy test?

flashcardslk5.jpg

you need to enroll in the course? I thought they would sell them at a bookstore that holds SAT/MCAT/PCAT/etc. books.

I just saw some GRE flashcards in the store. Vocab is vocab though from the practice tests I've seen of the PCAT and having taken the GRE, the GRE vocab looks much harder. The PCAT looks more like the SAT level but maybe I'm not remembering it well. My feeling is that it is beneficial in life to have a strong vocab but if you over study vocab for the PCAT, you could be squandering time better spent elsewhere.

I just saw some GRE flashcards in the store. Vocab is vocab though from the practice tests I've seen of the PCAT and having taken the GRE, the GRE vocab looks much harder. The PCAT looks more like the SAT level but maybe I'm not remembering it well. My feeling is that it is beneficial in life to have a strong vocab but if you over study vocab for the PCAT, you could be squandering time better spent elsewhere.

should i be studying PCAT vocab or GRE vocab for the PCAT?

should i be studying PCAT vocab or GRE vocab for the PCAT?

I have never taken the PCAT but it looks like the test makers use a lot of the same vocab. I'm sure it is better to study PCAT words but if you can't find the flashcards then using another test makers vocab will probably be helpful too. GRE words did look harder to me but without having taken an actual PCAT (I'm going by what I have seen in Kaplan) I can't know for sure. If they are harder, there is the danger that you either get overprepared or overwhelmed.

okay, guys.

for you all wanting to still know about the flashcards and cant get them here is a website that has just about the exact same words on the flashcards and you can just study this online. It is great!! seriously.

Online PCAT Flashcards :luck:

thanks man. I will probably only be using that list to study for vocab. You have any recommendations for study material on root words/prefixes/etc?

Last edited: