Best way to study Orgo in a short time? DAT in 1 month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternationalPreDen

Never Gonna Give Up
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Orgo 2 years ago , and now I can't remember anything about it. I have my DAT scheduled in the beginning of August. I was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on how to study orgo in a relatively short time. I have heard good things about Chad's video, but I am worried about whether I can finish watching it in a month. I just started studying for the DAT, and I have to work full time (9am-5pm, 5 days a week) as well.

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely finish Chad's in a month! I found this to be the best and most time efficient way to review orgo (haven't taken in over 2 years). I believe there are about 7 sections 3 hours each for orgo videos. Highly, highly recommend!

Reactions: 1 user
I took Orgo 2 years ago , and now I can't remember anything about it. I have my DAT scheduled in the beginning of August. I was wondering if you could please share your thoughts on how to study orgo in a relatively short time. I have heard good things about Chad's video, but I am worried about whether I can finish watching it in a month. I just started studying for the DAT, and I have to work full time (9am-5pm, 5 days a week) as well.
Chad's OC videos are 14 hrs total. Even if you only watched 1 hr/day, you'd be done in 2 weeks. If you add in the quizzes he has for every video, plus maybe a rewind here and there, you still should be able to get through them in 3 weeks. Of course I recommend watching more than just 1 hr/day, but just sayin'.

Chad's OC videos are 14 hrs total. Even if you only watched 1 hr/day, you'd be done in 2 weeks. If you add in the quizzes he has for every video, plus maybe a rewind here and there, you still should be able to get through them in 3 weeks. Of course I recommend watching more than just 1 hr/day, but just sayin'.
thank you good sir/ma'am! I had no clue how long chad's videos are. I will definitely subscribe it. Any other sections (bio, gen chem etc.) of chad's video that are worth watching?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely finish Chad's in a month! I found this to be the best and most time efficient way to review orgo (haven't taken in over 2 years). I believe there are about 7 sections 3 hours each for orgo videos. Highly, highly recommend!
much appreciated!

thank you good sir/ma'am! I had no clue how long chad's videos are. I will definitely subscribe it. Any other sections (bio, gen chem etc.) of chad's video that are worth watching?
GC and QR are also definitely worth it, in my opinion. I purchased access to all of his DAT videos for $50/month (it auto renews if you don't cancel, just fyi). He has an incomplete Bio section that is helpful for some, although I didn't use it.

His GC videos are also 14 hrs total, and QR is 5 hrs. (Plus quizzes for both.)

SyracuseOrange92 is right; know your roadmaps for Destroyer.
Watching Chad's videos are paramount. He teaches you how to work out a problem without having to exactly memorize the mechanism. Watch the videos at a speed you are comfortable with and please be active in your learning. Chad poses many questions throughout the videos. Stop the video as he asks the question and try your best to answer it. It'll be great to get it correct--you'll know your learning. Although, you have a short period of time, notes are essential to learn. Take notes of what you don't already understand--this is important--only what you don't know and make it brief to be able to review quickly. Best of luck and keep us updated! :)

Keep doing practice tests, but do spend more of your time on topics you have most difficulty with.

SyracuseOrange92 is right; know your roadmaps for Destroyer.
Watching Chad's videos are paramount. He teaches you how to work out a problem without having to exactly memorize the mechanism. Watch the videos at a speed you are comfortable with and please be active in your learning. Chad poses many questions throughout the videos. Stop the video as he asks the question and try your best to answer it. It'll be great to get it correct--you'll know your learning. Although, you have a short period of time, notes are essential to learn. Take notes of what you don't already understand--this is important--only what you don't know and make it brief to be able to review quickly. Best of luck and keep us updated! :)

I was gonna ask you what are roadmaps, but then I found them on my DAT destroyer. This question might be stupid, but are those 6 roadmaps and the "baby roadmaps" all I have to know for orgo reactions? Do I need to know anything about arrow pushing mechanisms? Thank you very much!

You can definitely finish Chad's in a month. I finished all his videos and taking notes in about 4 days watching at 1.5x. Just remember to supplement them with his quizzes and the DAT destroyer and you'll do fine. Also, I didn't have too many mechanism questions on my exam so make sure you understand the basic concepts first and foremost!

I was gonna ask you what are roadmaps, but then I found them on my DAT destroyer. This question might be stupid, but are those 6 roadmaps and the "baby roadmaps" all I have to know for orgo reactions? Do I need to know anything about arrow pushing mechanisms? Thank you very much!
Knowing and predicting your mechanisms is important but the DAT may ask you about ranking protons based on acidic/basicity, ranking acid and bases, lab techniques--a little bit of everything that Chad covers. It might seem too much at first but then you'll start to relate concepts and the understanding will follow and facilitate your learning.

Chad's hands down -- I was extremely worried about orgo since I took it 2 years ago (and did not do very well) and didn't remember anything. Chad made it so simple and lets you know exactly what you need to know.
Destroyer is great too, and at first I was extremely frustrated because the problems were so hard (I thought they were impossible) but with practice, you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

I scored a 24 on my OC :)