Best Way to Study Path for Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reviewing path for my Step 1 exam but my study technique doesn't seem to work out. I've been listening to Goljan lectures and reading his notes but when I try to do qbank, well, I just suck at it. Any advice? I have BRS but don't feel like touching another book. I also have the pocket companion to Robbins which I read before for my class, I'm wondering if I should touch that again? I need some help on this, If anyone can be so kind as to tell me what they did or are planning to do I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

memorize brs and you will do just fine on step 1. a good supplement to brs is robbins review questions. if you can answer these questions every answer on boards will be cake. I didn't touch Goljan and got a 257 on boards. any other questions then pm me

see ya

ssg said:
Hi all,

I've been reviewing path for my Step 1 exam but my study technique doesn't seem to work out. I've been listening to Goljan lectures and reading his notes but when I try to do qbank, well, I just suck at it. Any advice? I have BRS but don't feel like touching another book. I also have the pocket companion to Robbins which I read before for my class, I'm wondering if I should touch that again? I need some help on this, If anyone can be so kind as to tell me what they did or are planning to do I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

thanks so much for your advice. It is really appreciated. Is there anyone else that would like to post their opinions? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering about this so if more people tried to be helpful, that would be great.

ssg said:
thanks so much for your advice. It is really appreciated. Is there anyone else that would like to post their opinions? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wondering about this so if more people tried to be helpful, that would be great.

I personally do something alot different and i have no idea if it will work or not but personally how i am, i am unable to sit down and memorize a brs type book with point form. I just am not good at memorizing random points like that so i just read robbins text over as many times as i can during the year and for review ill read it a couple times, either the basic path or full text, not the pocket one. that is also that i enjoy path too but i am no way saying youll do better doing this but its an option if you dont like memorizing brs style books. i am sure you will do the best if you can sit down and memorize brs. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Ramoray said:
I personally do something alot different and i have no idea if it will work or not but personally how i am, i am unable to sit down and memorize a brs type book with point form. I just am not good at memorizing random points like that so i just read robbins text over as many times as i can during the year and for review ill read it a couple times, either the basic path or full text, not the pocket one. that is also that i enjoy path too but i am no way saying youll do better doing this but its an option if you dont like memorizing brs style books. i am sure you will do the best if you can sit down and memorize brs. good luck

Oh my goodness that sounds like hellish punishment, isn't that book like hundreds and hundreds of pages long? To each his own I guess and good luck to ya.

Another question, did you guys who used BRS, find it was more or less helpful than the path section in first aid...????? I gotta take my step1's in may and I was only planning on using path BRS and first aid (knowing them like the back of my hand), and Q-bank of course. Is this enough?????

i can understand that brs path may be hard to straight up memorize. I mean, you have to have an udnerlying foundation. Anf, it that seems to be lacking, then an option is to pikc up stars pathology review by edward gojan. That is much easier to read, and is slighlty more in content than brs, but by no means a robbins text--come on!!. So, i am trying to read the path review and brs simulatenously, it makes much more sense than just reading brs, cuz they don't give u the background info which is necessary. G'luck!!

HiddenTruth said:
i can understand that brs path may be hard to straight up memorize. I mean, you have to have an udnerlying foundation. Anf, it that seems to be lacking, then an option is to pikc up stars pathology review by edward gojan. That is much easier to read, and is slighlty more in content than brs, but by no means a robbins text--come on!!. So, i am trying to read the path review and brs simulatenously, it makes much more sense than just reading brs, cuz they don't give u the background info which is necessary. G'luck!!

Hey that's like what I do. I listen to goljan audio while working out, and I preread Goljan stars pathology review book before a certain lecture on a topic. Then I do the corresponding chapter from robbins review of path, and a week before exams I read the BRS path chapters that I've covered. It's worked for class so far without me having to touch that monster big robbins. I'm a slow reader it would take me way to much time to read robbins and even if I did I wouldn't retain much of it.

I would like to know the same thing - best way to learn path.

here is what I am doing currently (and its working) - new strategy for me but I think I understand path more than I did in the past.

I mainly use Step Up and annotate other things in there (I like their chart format), but it gives you the HIGH yield stuff about the topics. Then I look at BRS (dont' memorize it, but just see if there is anything really good to add to step up). Then I just got a book called Pathology Recall and it has questions on one side of page and answers on other and brings in the organization, etc. Class notes and that's it.

Viper