Best way to study with one month left

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stretch210

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the best way to study is at this point in the game. I took the MCAT three years ago, and am taking it again in August 2004. I am taking two tests a week, and trying to go over all of the answers...do you think this is important to do, or just study the full topics that I'm missing questions on? When I miss a question I go to the review book (TPR) and read on that topic. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
Very hard.

Or wait until April.

I think you're burning out on practice tests, yo. Two a week with a month to go is too many. Focus on passages, not whole tests. Yes, you want to get your timing down, but you also want to make sure you don't run out of full lengths to do in the last two weeks, which will be when they will benefit you most.

Take a practice test (Kaplan so you don't waste a good one). Find out where you are weak. Spend the next week reading up in the textbooks. Take another practice test. Do the same thing.

Going over an answer isn't really as important as realizing an area that you are weak in. You should already have a clue as to where you are weak.

Members don't see this ad :)
The first time I took the MCAT I spent the last month memorizing formulas and reviewing facts. That's what my prep course suggested, so I did it. Well, I'm taking it a second time, so their strategy wasn't too great. This time I'm doing all of the practice exams I can fit in by August 10. Do all of exams the from AAMC and one each from the test companies. That way you'll see different questions and writing styles.

no worries! i was in the same boat in april, only i had only 3wks. your timeframe will sound shoddy to people who are taking a course, but circumstances arent always ideal and you can totally work w/what you have (im guessing you want to apply this yr, so next april isnt a possibility).

1. at least skim every chapter in your review book and do all the practice chapter problems. each day i reviewed a bit of each subject from princeton review comprehensive, just make sure youre on track to finish the book, w/a wk to spare.

2. for difficult concepts, index explanations in your textbooks from class; i used nova physics as a backup bc physics was my weakest. you might want to by an extra review book for verbal if you have a tough time w/it - - i wish i had used Examcrackers verbal (has good reviews)

3. do practice tests from the very beginning and review misses, just like youve been doing. even if you dont know all the material, they will build confidence. try to take the tests in a public area so you get used to having people around. be confident, in practice and in the real deal.

4. make sure you do ALL the aamc tests; theyre great practice. find a study sched that fits for you; if cramming the tests every other day is exhausting, spread them out more over the 4wks and #1 advice - -confidence. you cant afford to be nervous, so dont worry about the other people who have been studying for 2yrs. that's not an option and if youre studying, youll be fine. you need just high enough to get in! :luck:

Confidence! I have to agree. Last night I reviewed my weekend practice test and found 10 answers in the PS section alone that I would have gotten right if I had just trusted myself... **10!!** Must - develop - confidence.

Schedule your study time, and what you'll be studying on each day, to make sure you cover all the bases.

At this point, you need one thing- discipline (or at least I did this time last year). If you say, 'I'm going to study Xhrs per day' or 'I'm going to cover X topics per day,' make sure you do it. Start waking up as if it was test day, get yourself to the library, and do whatever else you need to get into your disciplined mode. I had to take the MCAT more than once (unfortunately), and I scored highest when I spent the least amount of time studying but had the right mentality and discipline. So don't worry that you got only one month, but do use your time well. Good luck all :luck: