Best way to tackle Reading Comprehension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azk1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are tons of sources out there on pretty much every subject however i feel as though RC may be slightly overlooked. Any ideas on the best ways to get good at this section? I hear practice exams help but I havent gotten there yet. (Still need to finish Chads and Destroyer). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are tons of sources out there on pretty much every subject however i feel as though RC may be slightly overlooked. Any ideas on the best ways to get good at this section? I hear practice exams help but I havent gotten there yet. (Still need to finish Chads and Destroyer). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I based my strategy off of this YouTube video and it really helped!

If you need more elaboration or tips, feel free to message me!

Reactions: 1 users
Read scientific articles everyday and choose the method (search & Destroy, mappig, and etc.) that works best for you while doing the RC section.

Like the others have said a lot of it is finding your style. I personally read relatively quickly and remember small facts about article well.

I liked the mapping idea until they came out with the highlight feature which has some quirks. I personally like to speed read the article, which for me entails skimming quickly through the article so I can have an idea for the tonal questions and get the layout to help me find the general area I need for answers. I also take this time to highlight buzz words, these include things like percentages, years, names, and words like however and but. I then flip to the first question. If I can answer it great if not I start going through the passage a little slower and once I find the answer I select and move on. I rinse and repeat.

This strategy has gotten me good score on the BC RC and also keeps my speed up so I don't have to worry too much about rushing the last paragraph.

The only other thing I can say is read science articles everyday and try and mix up what you are reading (i.e. microscopes, bacteria, plants, dinosaurs....) Talking with others this seemed to help make reading about strange topics a little easier come DAT time. Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your reading speed is good enough, the best method is (in my opinion) to avoid any shortcut strategies and read the entire passage before approaching the questions. If your reading speed isn't quite there yet, practicing with similar style passages daily (Scientific American articles are commonly used for this purpose) is a good way to improve it.

Reactions: 2 users

yeah I typically read the entire passage before starting any questions.

i took quick notes on the each paragraph -like 1 sentence, 2 sentences max on what the theme of the paragraph was.
so when i read the questions, I knew which paragraph or paragraphs to look at super quick because of my notes

I read + map the 1st half then do the normal reading way. Kinda like what tyjacobs said about quick notes on each paragraph.

I go straight to the questions for this reading comprehension test and other similar tests. It's easy to search out keywords and knock out easy questions in a short amount of time. You'll be surprised at how much extra time you have when you actually have to sit and think about a more comprehension-based question. Everyone has their own unique approach though.