Best way to take anatomy/physiology 1 and 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merlin777

Pre-PT student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I just finished a combined 'Anatomy & Physiology 1' class and its lab, and I'm signed up to take A&P 2 and its lab this summer. So it's a little late in the game for me to be asking a question like this, but here goes:

In Florida it seems many DPT programs see doing A&P my way (4 classes total) as being interchangeable with taking them separately (8 classes total! Anatomy 1+lab, Anatomy 2+lab, Physiology 1+lab, Physiology 2+ lab).

Is this equivalency the case in your experiences as well, or do you think some some schools would look down on the combined A&P format, or see even see it as a shortcut?

Members don't see this ad.

In Florida it seems many DPT programs see doing A&P my way (4 classes total) as being interchangeable with taking them separately (8 classes total! Anatomy 1+lab, Anatomy 2+lab, Physiology 1+lab, Physiology 2+ lab).

Is this equivalency the case in your experiences as well, or do you think some some schools would look down on the combined A&P format, or see even see it as a shortcut?

Hey Merlin,
Like you first mentioned most Florida universities accept either format and if not; such as USF, it will be stated on the program's website. I took the shortcut route and was accepted to 2 Florida schools. I don't know why a school would look down on that format especially when you will be taught those courses again. For the schools where you wish to apply, I would call and speak to the DPT admisnistrative/coordinator and ask if the format is considered a stimga.

I thought it was 1 semester anatomy and one semester physiology OR 2 semesters combines A&P.

So either way 2 semesters

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's one semester of each anat and physio or A&P I and A&P II... A lot of schools also take a bio sequence instead. I took anat and physio separately and always thought it made more sense to have them combined.

I've done a ton of research on prerequisites and from what I've found, every single solitary PT school in the United States will accept combined A&P 1 and 2 as satisfactory for both the Anatomy and Physiology requirements, except for one school, which is the University of Colorado. They're making applicants take Advanced Cadaver Anatomy and Advanced Physio separately, which has definitely thrown a major wrench in my schedule. As long as you aren't applying there, you're good to go.

I've done a ton of research on prerequisites and from what I've found, every single solitary PT school in the United States will accept combined A&P 1 and 2 as satisfactory for both the Anatomy and Physiology requirements, except for one school, which is the University of Colorado. They're making applicants take Advanced Cadaver Anatomy and Advanced Physio separately, which has definitely thrown a major wrench in my schedule. As long as you aren't applying there, you're good to go.
Interesting. Sounds like I won't be applying there!

Thank you guys for your answers. Dynamite as usual!

do schools accept an online version of a&p 1 and 2? Does anyone know?

do schools accept an online version of a&p 1 and 2? Does anyone know?

Where are you? If you're in South Florida or the Southwest US, you might be in luck.

Well actually you can be anywhere. Here's the deal.

1) If you register with Miami Dade College (it's like a community college but it shed its community label), I know from experience that you can take both classroom and online (entirely) versions of A&P 1. And I am pretty sure that means they should also have too. BUT, you have to pick your classes early (Im referring to the first three days theyre available in April for Summer semester for example, because the online A&P always gets snatched up really quickly). Nidia Romer was my teacher, she is great, you can google her and ask her when her next online class session will be.

2) Better yet, I know of a program called CCCONLINE, just google it, it is a consortium of community colleges. They're based out of Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. Each school is independently run, but they all honor each other's credits, and more importantly for us, they all allow their classes to be taken online by anyone who is registered with them as a student. Some of the schools are more familiar with the online side than others. Some individual schools have staff that don't know as much as others. I remember Colorado Northwestern Community College and its staff were more knowledgeable than the other schools. You have to pick a school through which to register and then by extension be able to take classes at CCCONLINE. Make sure they can tell you whether you actually need to set foot in the school. The good news is that they literally have every prerequisite class you will need available online, even physics and it appears chemistry too, with the lab combined for 4 credits each.

Look into it and report back to us what you find!

Some of the PT programs state the following: "Anatomy and/or Physiology (A&P) course prerequisites MUST be completed in biology, neuroscience, anatomy, or integrated physiology department." Has anyone had experiences applying where your courses did not meet this criteria? What were your experiences with the programs that had this requirement? Some of the larger programs do not have this requirement. Thanks for your reply.

Some of the PT programs state the following: "Anatomy and/or Physiology (A&P) course prerequisites MUST be completed in biology, neuroscience, anatomy, or integrated physiology department." Has anyone had experiences applying where your courses did not meet this criteria? What were your experiences with the programs that had this requirement? Some of the larger programs do not have this requirement. Thanks for your reply.

If the school has that requirement, it is what it is and their isn't a lot you can do about it. You could call the admissions office a double check, but for the most part if your only A&P was in the kinesiology department, AT department, etc, you will be limited to applying only to schools that accept that.

Thanks - I have contacted all of my schools, quoted the same as on PTCAS, sent my class syllabi for AP1, AP2, Physio and so far all that I contacted have accepted my classes as equitable to those listed/required.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile