Best way to take notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgndoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know the best way to take notes using one single program that lets you upload ppt, word, and pdf files and then make text-box like annotations on each slide/pdf page? I'm using a mac so that might make this a little more difficult ... I've heard Microsoft's OneNote is one of the best for doing this kind of stuff but unfortunately they still haven't released a version for Mac...:\ Our course materials come in all different formats, and I've just grown sick of printing and lugging everything around, especially since I just got a nice fast new computer, that I pretty much always have anyways... Can some of you computer people let me in on how you keep everything organized?? Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Get a Windows emulator and run it in a window with One Note or something like that. Im sure theres a way to run a Windows program on a Mac.

Evernote is pretty good, plus it can be synced to smartphones. I loved OneNote back when I had windows. I'm definitely more of a pen and paper guy though.

Members don't see this ad :)
The process is painfully easy to do on a mac.

(1) All powerpoints and words can simply be "printed to pdf." Voila. Instant pdfs. Any version of any microsoft office for mac will have this feature inherent. To do it, print like you would to a printer, then click "print pdf."

(2) Once you've got pdfs, use the onboard preprogramed in and free service called Preview. Preview lets you add text boxes everywhere, then move them around. Super awesome.

(3) You win.

(4) Tiger Blood

The process is painfully easy to do on a mac.

(1) All powerpoints and words can simply be "printed to pdf." Voila. Instant pdfs. Any version of any microsoft office for mac will have this feature inherent. To do it, print like you would to a printer, then click "print pdf."

(2) Once you've got pdfs, use the onboard preprogramed in and free service called Preview. Preview lets you add text boxes everywhere, then move them around. Super awesome.

(3) You win.

(4) Tiger Blood

winning.

Last edited:
PDF XChange. There's a typewriter tool which allows you click anywhere and starts typing furiously. Don't even need to drag your mouse to make textboxes.

Noterize for the Mac. Coordinates with Dropbox too for easy file transfer.

Anybody using an ipad for note taking? How is it? What do you use?

I am experimenting with evernote

Anybody using an ipad for note taking? How is it? What do you use?

I am experimenting with evernote

I am and it works very well. I have the bluetooth keyboard, and I type notes directly on to PDFs or powerpoint docs using Noterize's text box tool. I then transfer them to my laptop using Dropbox at the end of lecture. No need to haul around my heavy laptop anymore.

Noterize, dropbox look exactly like what i want. Thanx!

I've tried noterize and a lot of other notes apps. They're all good, but the main problem is the hardware - the tablet you use that app on. I've tried ipad, ipad 2, and a lot of other tablets. If I want to take notes, I want to feel the same as if I was writing on real paper, therefore I need to use a stylus.

So it all comes down to accuracy. When you write on real paper, your palm touches the paper, so you need palm rejection. You also want to be using a capacitive touch-screen, not resistant, which is less accurate. I don't want to be taking notes on a tablet and then suddenly, my cursor jumps or my tablet starts writing things I didn't intend to.

Does this look impressive to you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1kzpjExRrM

That's not impressive. Most tablets are the same, none of them are ready yet. I'll wait until accuracy improves. You might have seen many videos of people hand sketching amazingly well on a tablet - that's just because they've gotten used to it, it doesn't replicate actual drawing or sketching. There's also too much delay. Asus EEE pad is probably the most accurate one I've seen and it's only $400-500, but it's still not good enough as it still messes up.

I need my notes to be legible, so when I study it I know what I wrote. This is why I type my notes. I can highlight, copy-paste, put sticky notes, draw, insert formulas, etc. just with fricking word. I am happy with my normal lappy.

Last edited:
lots of ppl at my school seem to be jumping onto the tablet bandwagon to differing degrees of success. by differing I mean some didn't get the right tablet for the job (capacitative vs resistive) or didn't consider using the stylus etc. before making their decision. annotating with a stylus can be a little error-prone and cumbersome at first, make sure you really get some "wet" practice on whatever tablet you choose and don't just take people on a forum's word for it.

i tried to take notes on laptop in the beginning of M1, then ended up reverting to ole pen and his buddy paper. seems to work better for me. if you're taking notes regularly now, why change? ((if it aint broke dont fix it))

Members don't see this ad :)
((if it aint broke dont fix it))

I hate this quote. Every term, I learn new things and improve my note-taking skills. There's no limit, you will always get better and better. You have to adapt. Some people will keep doing what works and then some people will take what works and improve it even more.

I agree with "wet" use of whatever method youll be using in school. Thats why I am experimenting now.

Different courses called for different methods in my post bacc classes.
Physics, the prof had no handouts and it was 90% diagrams and formulas on the board. Pen and paper.

Orgo and gen chem -pen markup of profs printed ppt slides

Bio - typed notes straight into laptop.

I guess for M1 I am anticipating marking up pdfs, ppt most of the time. If i can do that effectively on a tablet and not have the printing and paper management hassle, I am thinking I will be better off. I also have a long commute, so recording the lectures will help too methinks. And i can always have a pen and spiral notepad on hand. In the end, whatever works.:)

If you're looking for a tablet, look into the Asus EE Slate. New slate computer with incredible stylus with accuracy. It's meant for artists, engineering students taking notes, medical students etc. Main problems are the battery life of only 3 hours and the cost at like 1000. Oh, the screen is 12 inches so you are looking at something just as large as paper. I'm very interested.

If you're looking for a tablet, look into the Asus EE Slate. New slate computer with incredible stylus with accuracy. It's meant for artists, engineering students taking notes, medical students etc. Main problems are the battery life of only 3 hours and the cost at like 1000. Oh, the screen is 12 inches so you are looking at something just as large as paper. I'm very interested.

I agree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4QkA2nOd0

However, its fan is pretty noisy. I have yet to test its writing capability. Usually on videos, it's not imitating the writing speed when taking notes during lecture. It's also double the price of an ipad. They are making tablets now dedicated to just students: http://campuslife.asus.com/product/detail/29

Though, I'm waiting for their next product - that uses speech recognition. Touch is outdated. I'd rather just tell my comp to go to google, than touch and type it.

That's interesting to hear. From a majority of reviewers, they point out how quiet the fan is. However, some do report fan noise. Defective unit?

The problem with an Ipad is that the styluses used are woefully inaccurate for taking actual written notes. Good for arrows, highlighting, etc. but if you actually want to a right a lot of stuff down (equations/words) it's a pain in the ass, and this was tested with the best stylus offered at the time (a few weeks ago).

I agree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo4QkA2nOd0

However, its fan is pretty noisy. I have yet to test its writing capability. Usually on videos, it's not imitating the writing speed when taking notes during lecture. It's also double the price of an ipad. They are making tablets now dedicated to just students: http://campuslife.asus.com/product/detail/29

Though, I'm waiting for their next product - that uses speech recognition. Touch is outdated. I'd rather just tell my comp to go to google, than touch and type it.

I believe your link is to the exact one I'm talking about--Asus EE Slate EP121. Looks awesome but expensive as hell.

Yea, the main thing with tablets is handwriting recognition especially for school. Also, I type much better on a normal-sized keyboard, I'd rather not use that tiny keyboard on the touch screen, which will also reduce the free space available on the touch screen. This is why they have wireless keyboards, but even so, once they come out with voice recognition, keyboards won't be necessary and they'll make the touch screen even larger. Voice recognition+Handwriting recognition=win for med school.

Yea, the main thing with tablets is handwriting recognition especially for school. Also, I type much better on a normal-sized keyboard, I'd rather not use that tiny keyboard on the touch screen, which will also reduce the free space available on the touch screen. This is why they have wireless keyboards, but even so, once they come out with voice recognition, keyboards won't be necessary and they'll make the touch screen even larger. Voice recognition+Handwriting recognition=win for med school.

That may be the holy grail, but do you want to risk your performance in med school pursuing it? I have an iPad and bluetooth keyboard and feel like I can keep up. But I will abandon it in a heartbeat if I need pencil and paper to follow the lecture.

That may be the holy grail, but do you want to risk your performance in med school pursuing it? I have an iPad and bluetooth keyboard and feel like I can keep up. But I will abandon it in a heartbeat if I need pencil and paper to follow the lecture.

Nah, the holy grail would be that I think something and my computer does it aka BCI (brain-computer interface), done with EEG, which microsoft has patented, but it's not perfect, which is why microsoft hasn't released it yet. Though they are also taking cameras and following eye movements such that your mouse will follow your eyes.

Like I said before, my performance in med school is just fine with a normal lappy. I use pencil and paper during the lecture and type up my summary notes after the lecture.

Everyone learns differently.
I pre-read, write as fast as I can in class, then re-watch the lecture to get what I missed.

Last edited: